Doug Sax passes away

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
He really was "the man" to so many of us who used to hang on his every word back in the day. It took guts and courage to tell the industry it had its head up its ass when it came to CD and "perfect sound forever" and digital was in its nascent stages. In fact his mastering business failed as a result of the digital revolution, but he had the vision to believe it would be revived with time because of the advantages inherent in the medium, and he was of course, correct. I have all his original Sheffield direct to disk LPs. In fact, when I brought a 1000 CDs to Princeton Records few months ago for cash, it included most of the Sheffields that I had on CD as well, as I learned a long time ago that playing them for reasons other than convenience, was a waste of time as long as I still had my Sheffield LPs. RIP Doug.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
He really was "the man" to so many of us who used to hang on his every word back in the day. It took guts and courage to tell the industry it had its head up its ass when it came to CD and "perfect sound forever" and digital was in its nascent stages. In fact his mastering business failed as a result of the digital revolution, but he had the vision to believe it would be revived with time because of the advantages inherent in the medium, and he was of course, correct. I have all his original Sheffield direct to disk LPs. In fact, when I brought a 1000 CDs to Princeton Records few months ago for cash, it included most of the Sheffields that I had on CD as well, as I learned a long time ago that playing them for reasons other than convenience, was a waste of time as long as I still had my Sheffield LPs. RIP Doug.

+1. From my perspective, his most memorable quote was in a somewhat recent TAS interview, where he said something like "It's sad that the LP is the highest resolution, mass-market format we have". Wise words; I need to find the exact quote, but I am pretty sure I haven't tainted it that much - it really stuck with me back then.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've remastered a couple of Doug Sax masters. Can't really improve upon perfection.

RIP Big Guy

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Doug's LPs at Sheffield Lab are legendary, starting with the S9 D2D in 1968. I have most of the LPs and some of them were demo LPs by dealers when I started the hobby. Later on, friends would alert me that some pop LPs mastered at Sax's Mastering Lab sounded exceptional, like James Taylor's JT and Linda Ronstadt's What's New. If only all records went through his lab...

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing