TRITON v2 CGS - Chassis Ground System

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
There have been many questions regarding the CGS system that is part of the new TRITON v2 power distributor. The following is a web version of the CGS APPLICATION GUIDE.

CGS - Chassis Ground System

CHASSIS GROUNDING — HISTORY

Many of the practices that we use in audio have come from the early telecommunications industry. It was common practice to rack mount equipment in a metal rack. Everything in the rack would be connected to a common ground using braided ground conductors. Every piece of equipment had a dedicated grounding lug for this connection. This practice continues today in both the telecommunication and networking industry. Connecting all equipment to a central ground point ensures electrical safety and eliminates voltage differences between component chassis’.

In the early days of audio, virtually all audio manufacturers followed this practice with the inclusion of ground terminals on the back of the components. All the component’s chassis grounds could be wired together with ground braid. This helped to reduce ground loops and hum since most equipment came with single-ended RCA or Phone jacks instead of balanced connections.

With the advent of mass market consumer audio products and plastic chassis’ there were more and more components that did not include a ground terminal. The one exception being for turntable and phono preamps where ground terminals are required to prevent hum. Of course, turntables and phono preamps are remnants that have survived from an earlier generation of audio systems.
Although some equipment no longer comes with a dedicated chassis ground terminal, it is still advantageous to ground all of your equipment to a common ground point. This reduces ground loop hum and noise problems. It can also improve system performance even if you don’t have any audible ground loops or hum.

TRITON v2 and CGS

The TRITON v2 has an internal ground-buss noise reduction system that uses patented NIC™
technology. CGS (Chassis Ground System) is a feature that provides a common grounding point for all components in the system and extends the noise reduction capability of the TRITON to components external to the TRITON. This eliminates AC voltage differences between component chassis’ and may help to reduce potential ground loops.

? 01.jpg

CGS GROUND TERMINALS

You can use any good quality wire to make the chassis ground connections. It is best to use a large gauge wire of 12-10 gauge. Solid core wire is very stiff in large gauges so it is easier to use a fine stranded wire or a ground braid since it is more flexible.
?
02.jpg

If the equipment has a dedicated ground terminal the connection is easy. Connect one end of the ground wire to the component’s terminal and the other end to a CGS terminal on the back of the TRITON.
?
03.jpg

If a component does not have a dedicated ground terminal, you may use a ground wire with a small spade and attach it to one of the chassis screws on the bottom of the component. Care must be taken to ensure that you are loosening an actual chassis screw and not a screw that holds some internal part in place. Refer to a service manual if possible.
?
04.jpg

CGS GROUND CABLES

Shunyata Research makes CGS Ground Cables that are attractive, perform well, and are inexpensive. Check with Shunyata Research Customer Service or your dealer for more information.

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

What performance improvements can I expect from using the CGS?

System grounding is complex and sometimes unpredictable since there are no standards that all equipment manufacturers follow regarding signal grounds and chassis grounding. It also depends upon the power circuit wiring, specifically the circuit’s actual impedance to ground. If you use more than one dedicated power circuit it becomes even more complicated and less predictable. Common sonic improvements are often described as a reduction of background noise with an improvement in dynamics. The timing and dynamics in sound can also improve, along with more dimensional and precise image placement. These improvements may be obvious in some systems while more subtle in others.

So our best advice is try it to see what works best in your system.

What should I connect to the CGS?

All components in the audio system should be connected to the CGS grounding system if possible. Additionally, you may connect an equipment rack that is made from metal.
I have an amplifier(s) connected to a different dedicated line — should I connect them to the CGS?
Generally speaking, you should try it. This may reduce ground loop problems and improve sound quality. However, with some amplifiers connecting the ground to the CGS may produce no results or may degrade the sound quality. It is important to test each of the ground connections independently.

If a component’s power cord is connected to the TRITON — do I need to run wire to the CGS?

If a component is connected to the TRITON with a power cord where the ground wire and contact are functional then the chassis of the component will be connected to the internal grounding system of the TRITON. You do not need to make another connection to the CGS terminal. However, some components may benefit from an additional chassis connection especially if you are using common stock power cords. Try it and see if performance is improved.

If a component does not have a ground terminal, how do I make a connection to the chassis and CGS??

You may loosen one of the chassis screws on the bottom of the component. The ground wire needs to be terminated with a small spade connector that can slip under the screw head. Care must be taken to ensure that you do not loosen a screw that is used internally to hold a part inside the component. Check with the user guide or the manufacturer. Generally speaking, the screws around the perimeter of the case are chassis screws. If you have any doubts — DO NOT loosen the screw!

Are ground wires included with the TRITON?

There are no ground wires included in the TRITON box. There is no way to know how many components you might have and how far away the connections may be. Check with Shunyata Research Customer Service or your dealer for more information.

There are only 4 terminals — how can I connect more components?

There are four terminals but each terminal can accept multiple wires. The spades can be stacked on top of each other and you may also use banana type terminals. You can easily attach 12 components to the CGS.

Is the CGS similar to TRIPOINT or Entreq products?

TRIPOINT and Entreq both make chassis grounding and signal grounding products and they both provide a common grounding point. However, the method of reducing ground noise varies by manufacturer. The CGS is a chassis grounding system only and was not designed for signal ground connections. The CGS Chassis Grounding System is compatible with a signal grounding type product — just don’t connect them together.

The CGS noise reduction technology is patent protected by US 8,658,892

Can I use the ground cables that TRIPOINT or Entreq make?

Yes, any good cable or wire that has a low impedance is suitable.

What is the best method to connect a turntable and a phono preamp?

Try connecting the phono ground terminal to a CGS terminal and the phono preamp with a separate ground wire to a second CGS terminal. Then, try an alternate configuration: connect the phono terminal to the phono preamp with a ground wire — then connect just the phono preamp to the CGS terminal. Use the method that has less hum and noise or which one sounds best.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
It would be a nice feature, or trick, if it were possible to individually rotate the US AC recepticles 180 degrees. For example in the Triton v2 picture we see the ground is on the right side. For whatever reason, it just seems that after I get a power cord installed on the gear some are in the posistion with the ground prong on the left, and others on the right. I end up twisting the cord to try and get it to plug in, but if there was a way to rotate the recepticle then it would be smoother. Just a usability suggestion.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
"Shunyata Research makes CGS Ground Cables that are attractive, perform well, and are inexpensive."

There is no dealer in my area, where can I see pictures and pricing on these cables?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
"Shunyata Research makes CGS Ground Cables that are attractive, perform well, and are inexpensive."

There is no dealer in my area, where can I see pictures and pricing on these cables?

The TRITON v2's will start shipping next week. The dealers will be receiving their first demo products. The price lists for the CGS cables will be released next week also. We will also have information up on the website this weekend.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
It would be a nice feature, or trick, if it were possible to individually rotate the US AC recepticles 180 degrees. For example in the Triton v2 picture we see the ground is on the right side. For whatever reason, it just seems that after I get a power cord installed on the gear some are in the posistion with the ground prong on the left, and others on the right. I end up twisting the cord to try and get it to plug in, but if there was a way to rotate the recepticle then it would be smoother. Just a usability suggestion.

Damn good suggestion, rotating outlets! I can think of pros and cons from an engineering perspective, and that feature would clear up the back of many a great system. Spanky power cords never seem to line up so there a lot of twisting where not having it would sure be a delight, particularly in tight quarters. If rotating them couldn't be done in a power and sonically acceptable way, perhaps just having different orientations on several would help.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
CGS Cables

The CGS ground cables are made from CDA-101 OFC 10 gauge copper. They are ArNi Cryogenically processed in our computer controlled system. There are a variety of terminations available including a combo spade, small spade, banana and a ring terminal. They are bonded to the wire using a custom built "sonic welder".

And they look nice with a fine black mesh and gray labels.

MSRP in the US will about US$228 for a 1.5 meter cable. Additional lengths are $18 per 1/4 meter.

Or you can make your own.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Caelin

Is there a length beyond which these cables become ineffective or less effective. I am looking at a length of 9-10 meters from my amps to my Triton

That will be fine. If connecting the CGS wire to the amps makes an audible difference, then you might want to try a second run of ground wire when the distance to the amplifier is long.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
That will be fine. If connecting the CGS wire to the amps makes an audible difference, then you might want to try a second run of ground wire when the distance to the amplifier is long.

Are you suggesting I move my amps closer to the Triton? Not sure I understand you

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Are you suggesting I move my amps closer to the Triton? Not sure I understand you

No, I am saying that the distance to the amp is fine.

From the CGS Application Guide:

System grounding is complex and sometimes unpredictable since there are no standards that all equipment manufacturers follow regarding signal grounds and chassis grounding. It also depends upon the power circuit wiring, specifically the circuit’s actual impedance to ground. If you use more than one dedicated power circuit it becomes even more complicated and less predictable. Common sonic improvements are often described as a reduction of background noise with an improvement in dynamics. The timing and dynamics in sound can also improve, along with more dimensional and precise image placement. These improvements may be obvious in some systems while more subtle in others.

I have an amplifier(s) connected to a different dedicated line — should I connect them to the CGS?
Generally speaking, you should try it. This may reduce ground loop problems and improve sound quality. However, with some amplifiers connecting the ground to the CGS may produce no results or may degrade the sound quality. It is important to test each of the ground connections independently.

Steve Williams

No, I am saying that the distance to the amp is fine.

From the CGS Application Guide:

Understood

Both left and right channel of my amp are each on their own dedicated lines as is my Triton which houses all my front end components so it will indeed be interesting

Frank is here

Nov 13, 2013
Thank you Caelin, I am about to purchase 2X Triton V2's but notice in Steve's picture a sticker that states max voltage 125.
My problem and question is that one of the units is for Australia and the other for Singapore which run up to 250v ....I use the US style receptacles.....??

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Thank you Caelin, I am about to purchase 2X Triton V2's but notice in Steve's picture a sticker that states max voltage 125.
My problem and question is that one of the units is for Australia and the other for Singapore which run up to 250v ....I use the US style receptacles.....??

We make an "Asian" model that uses US outlets and is rated at 240 volt. That is what you want.

Frank is here

Nov 13, 2013
Thank you Caelin, that is what I am getting.....just concerned after seeing the sticker.....
As a second question of curiosity ...what is the difference ...........
Is there a difference in the polarity of the receptors.... I use the US wiring polarity scheme ..looking directly at the prongs [male plug] left is live
Again, many thanks

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
My Triton2 upgrade is now ordered. Once I am comfortable with the sound from this then I will be getting two Sigma HC cables to replace the Z Pythons from the Cyclops to the amps.

Now, if only the Venom speaker cables for the HT/surround system I have had on order for almost 6 months would arrive then I will be set. :)

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
My V2 should arrive Saturday

Steve Williams

My Triton2 upgrade is now ordered. Once I am comfortable with the sound from this then I will be getting two Sigma HC cables to replace the Z Pythons from the Cyclops to the amps.

Now, if only the Venom speaker cables for the HT/surround system I have had on order for almost 6 months would arrive then I will be set. :)

My V2 should arrive Saturday

Gentlemen

I have had my V2 in now for the past two weeks and I can promise you the same jaw dropping experience when you plugged in the V1. Only this one trumps the first by a huge margin

The voices and instruments seem to have more flesh around them . It is quite an upgrade as again everything sounds louder as if you have been moved from the center orchestra to somewhere in the center of the first few rows.

As an aside the users instructions for the V2 mentions that the use of the CGS is system dependent and some people might hear no change while others derive big improvement. I came home from Shunyata this past week with a 9 meter pair of CGS grounding cables from each power supply to the Triton and a meter pair for going from my amp to its power supply. It's important to note that each of my amp channels are on it's own dedicated line and the sound floor seemed non existent.

Sadly I had no derived benefit. In fact there was a noticeable ground loop hum when everything was grounded. Suffice it to say the grounding cables have been removed. IMO each user needs to run this simple but quick experiment to determine if there is benefit in their system. My Lamm ML3 is built like a battle ship and is likely very well grounded

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Gentlemen

I have had my V2 in now for the past two weeks and I can promise you the same jaw dropping experience when you plugged in the V1. Only this one trumps the first by a huge margin

The voices and instruments seem to have more flesh around them . It is quite an upgrade as again everything sounds louder as if you have been moved from the center orchestra to somewhere in the center of the first few rows.

As an aside the users instructions for the V2 mentions that the use of the CGS is system dependent and some people might hear no change while others derive big improvement. I cam home from Shunyata this past week with a 9 meter pair of CGS grounding cables from each power supply to the Triton and a meter pair for going from my amp to its power supply. It's important to note that each of my amp channels are on it's own dedicated line and the sound floor seemed non existent.

Sadly I had no derived benefit. In fact there was a noticeable ground loop hum when everything was grounded. Suffice it to say the grounding cables have been removed. IMO each user needs to run this simple but quick experiment to determine if there is benefit in their system. My Lamm ML3 is built like a battle ship and is likely very well grounded

Steve,

I'm not surprised that chassis grounding on your Lamm gear didn't produce any improvement.

It would be interesting to see if Entreq signal grounding would produce any benefit.

Steve Williams

Steve,

I'm not surprised that chassis grounding on your Lamm gear didn't produce any improvement.

It would be interesting to see if Entreq signal grounding would produce any benefit.

I'm honestly not interested Dan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing