Neat list of photo tips

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks! Just the impetus I've been looking for to get the 5D MkIII and some extra lenses. Any pointers for good pricing other than the usual BHphoto, adorama, et al?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i just got a grey market 1DX at a screamer deal and am quite happy with it. i saved enough compared to normal selling price to also buy a D7 MkII at the normal price from B&H.

i'm diving into Bird photography head first. had a business trip to SW Florida planned so used it as an excuse to do it. i'm having lots of fun so far.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
OK I gotta turn on the tear spout and beg :D... how do I get a screamer deal too!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
OK I gotta turn on the tear spout and beg :D... how do I get a screamer deal too!

don't cry.;)

i bought mine from this place.

i got mine for $320 less than that price 2 weeks ago. i had noticed that the price would dip down low for a few days, then go back up to where it is now. so decide what you want and follow the item for a couple of weeks and be ready to go when it drops.

i read the reviews from that seller and they were good. and everything happened as they said it would.

i received a new unit with the current software release, and it's worked perfectly. it's says 'made in Japan'. I've read that most Grey Market bodies come from the South American distributor for Canon.

i did over 2000 shots in South Florida last week with it. focuses perfectly, 12 frames per second, autofocus is amazing....built like a tank. caught in a downpour and none the worse for it. i have a lot to learn but it's a great tool.

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
thanks, spout off :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
i just got a grey market 1DX at a screamer deal and am quite happy with it. i saved enough compared to normal selling price to also buy a D7 MkII at the normal price from B&H.

i'm diving into Bird photography head first. had a business trip to SW Florida planned so used it as an excuse to do it. i'm having lots of fun so far.
Bird photography is what got me into photography too! And no place is better to get a good start than Florida. When do you plan on going? And what part?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Bird photography is what got me into photography too! And no place is better to get a good start than Florida. When do you plan on going? And what part?

I was in Naples from Saturday March the 21st to Wednesday March 25th. traveling from Seattle I lost Saturday and most of Wednesday to the transit, and had business meetings and dinners each day so essentially I had Sunday morning and afternoon, and Monday and Tuesday afternoons.

on line prior to the trip I saw the Corkscrew Nature Preserve was close by; so that is where I went on Sunday morning. it was about a 40 minute drive from the Ritz in Naples. I was there 4 hours Sunday then went back for 3 hours Monday afternoon. Tuesday afternoon I traveled up to Sanibel Island and went to the Ding Darling preserve. I did not anticipate the traffic thru Ft. Meyers beach on the way, and then it took 90 minutes to travel 5 miles on Sanibel leaving Ding Darling.

but even with all the effort the Birds were amazing.....and I loved every minute of it. Quite different from the super-shy birds in the Northwest I've encountered so far.....in my very brief Birding outings.

the highlight was likely Sunday at Corkscrew with 10 minutes and 200 shots on an adult Barred Owl eating a snake about 100' away thru the trees. the 1DX low relatively low noise high ISO helped. I was using a 300mm f2.8 II with 2x III extender. not perfect but a nice sequence. I wish I had 6 months or a year more experience prior to lucking into that opportunity.

reviewing the files can see where I have a long way to go. but I have a few I like somewhat.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ah, that is good. I thought you were planning to go later in the year and was going to warn you that the season would be way over. Once the rains start, the birds scatter and of course the weather gets super hot and miserable. So you did good catching the tail end of it.

Din Darling really was the "darling" of bird photography when I lived in 1980s. Alas, some environmentalist thought they should screw around with water levels and that totally destroyed opportunities for bird photography as they no longer hand right next to the road as they used to. When I was there in 2004, we spent a bunch of time there with almost no success. This is my only memorable shot from there (resette spoonbill):

This was with my 500 mm with a 1.4X telephoto and cropped fair amount hence the lack of proper sharpness.

And I hear you about birding here. I have tried a few times and have yet to find much opportunity other than snow owls in Vancouver Canada. I didn't have good luck catching them on camera as they were very far on ocean beach with a ton of logs. And a couple who had staked their location taking their pictures, screaming at anyone who dared to get close to the subjects:

Back to florida, here are some other top areas should you have an opportunity to go back:

Merritt Island National Refuge (reserve area around the Nasa Shuttle launch site):

Gatorland in Orlando. It is a tourist trap for kids to come and see the gators but massive number birds roost there like these Ibis:

And more rare Tri-color Heron:

Venice Rookery. Man made lake and island full of these beauties (Great Blue Herons) nesting, courting, and giving birth:

If you find a local place that is worth "shooting," let me know and lets do it together.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
well done amirm!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wow, that is a killer deal Mike. $1,300 below Amazon price.

I have a Canon 5DS R on order/waitlist. If I did not, i would have been awfully tempted to pull the trigger.

Did you say this is gray market? Or is it international warranty?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Wow, that is a killer deal Mike. $1,300 below Amazon price.

I have a Canon 5DS R on order/waitlist. If I did not, i would have been awfully tempted to pull the trigger.

Did you say this is gray market? Or is it international warranty?

it's grey market with international warranty.

but it has the current software, recent build date, and my understanding is that Canon supports these. don't take my word for it, that is simply forum buzz. I'm happy with mine so far. and after a year it's all the same.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing