Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tidal bought by Jay Z to become Artist-owned streaming music service

Addicted to Best!
    I agree it is only CD quality right now and you notice I said "IF Tidal goes full in with Meridian MQA this year" but I cannot see how only CD quality is any benefit to audiophiles; majority streamers will not care about quality offered as they can get up to 320k lossy with other services, as an audiophile we ideally want hirez/studio master type source rather than CD; audiophiles will just buy hirez from download services rather than buy CD quality subscription.
    In other words CD quality streaming is in no man's land when it is competing against other services for streaming or download.
    Ah well truth in its interest will be later this year when it goes head-to-head with Dr Dres Beat Music-Apple service/Spotify and comparable services/etc.

Pal Bratelund from Tidal was interviewed at CES this year, talks about 24bit 96khz testing and more about MQA in following interview starting at 4m50sec.
    Now what if this was going to happen but the buyout by Jay Z does not do this now, the result is the buyout is actually worse for audiophiles.
    Lots of Ifs and speculation I appreciate, but it did look like Tidal was looking to implement MQA this year, albeit with the headaches I mentioned before that Pony experienced in business-politics-technicalities-logistics of getting hirez source content.
    Jump to 4m 45sec where it starts about hirez.

Cheers
    Orb

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    I guess that I've always been a glass half full kinda guy. I hope that this will get the larger music industry off mp3's and compression towards higher quality - and that will be good for audiophiles.

Addicted to Best!
    So am I Gary,
    but there is a difference between mainstream listeners and audiophiles in the context of quality streaming.
    Quality streaming rate is questionable until the back end processes-logistics are sorted out, in fact the easiest push towards quality in the streaming context would be to migrate listeners away from free lower lossy rates to 320k (which require monthly subscription); and that is not going well as there are 4x more signed up for the free lower rate with ads (only 15millionish pay the Spotify premium subscription compared to 50 to 60 million free lower rate listeners).

The niche area are audiophiles, where we want studio master type content and highest back end quality in terms of recording-mastering back end processes and highest source files/streaming and willing to pay for such services or "effort" involved due to multiple formats.
    In summary I do not think this is what will drive mainstream to want better audio quality because they are not even embracing 320k subscription, however it can be lobbied and argued that the music can be record-mastered for best quality and for mainstream to embrace that.
    And that is where we are seeing mainstream listeners being more vocal; the quality of the record-mastering and effect of loudness wars (when compared to streaming quality) and traction regarding improvements in the industry are being reported.

Regarding streaming.
    The Meridian MQA would be ideal because it bridges the audiophile requirements with those of the average mainstream listener; a ubiquitous streaming quality that is transparent to the user supporting hires and those who do not care, albeit being perceptually based encoding.
    And this is why I would say there is a lot of interest in the industry for the Meridian solution and why it was something Tidal was actively engaged in.

To stress this is just my opinion and does not necessarily relate to what will happen, this subject will split experts/analysts IMO.

Cheers
    Orb

What's in a name: Tidal Audio, the Germany based company that is producing top notch high end speakers, amplifiers and (lately) dacs, has annouced a stratetic partnership with Tidal, the high fidelity music streaming service. This partnerhip will be launched at the next Munich High end show. I refer to the link below.

http://www.tidal-audio.de/english/news.htm

Addicted to Best!
    Out of interest how many subscribe to Tidal or Qobuz (which seems to offer nice hirez download service as well) and your thoughts on use/habits in comparison to listening to their own CD/hirez collection?

For me, I would use streaming to identify music I wish to buy that has been reviewed/recommended.
    How many would sign on to a subscription (with costs) if streaming was above CD quality or is CD quality enough?
    I could see myself subscribing if it offered greater than CD quality, but then the challenge for them is monetizing in a way that is acceptable to them-labels-and consumers (especially regions in terms of annoying locking and critically costs being 1:1 meaning one region gets a reasonable price while the rest pay too much).

Cheers
    Orb

Addicted to Best!
    Ooh I should add Deezer to that list as well (looks like they will be adding or has but not sure how extensive "hirez" service - actually seems to be CD quality like Tidal).
    Cheers
    Orb
    Last edited by Orb; 04-03-2015 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Not hirez per se but CD quality like Tidal

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! still-one's Avatar
    I have been very pleased with the SQ of Tidal when compared to services I have used in the past. (MOG, Spotify & Rhapsody) One issue is that some artists I had tagged for Sooloss on Rhapsody are missing from Tidal's catalog. I hope the current owners don't screw up a good thing.
    Jim
    Speakers:Alexandria X2- Series 2, AMP''s-D'Agostino Momentum mono blocks, Pre-Amp:D'Agostino Momentum Phono Stage Esoteric E-03 Sources :Meridian 808v6 & MC-200, SME 20/3, Cabling/Interconnects:Transparent Opus SC and Interconnects, Power Delivery Shunyata Denali

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12