Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tidal bought by Jay Z to become Artist-owned streaming music service

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar

Tidal bought by Jay Z to become Artist-owned streaming music service

Tidal - the high-rez streaming service that was launched barely a few of months ago - was recently purchased by Jay Z and will be re-shaped as an artist-owned service - where musicians can actually make money from the music that they make.

Jay Z said in an interview, "We are treating these people that really care about the music with the utmost respect." May be finally audiophiles will get our place in the sun.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/31/bu...vice.html?_r=0

Name:  31jayz-web2-master675.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  73.8 KB

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    what a great coup that was. I saw it on TV yesterday. If anyone could buy it he could as he and his wife have a net worth of over $1B
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    I hope that this is good for our hobby if the popular artists will really respect the people who really care for the quality of the reproduction and the music. We, on the other hand, need to also respect the musician and pay them a fair price for their artistry and their craft.

The "music" industry, venture capitalists and finance industry are already fighting back......

Addicted to Best!
    One concern I would have is that Tidal is meant to also be a hirez streaming service, yet the linked article suggests the best level of quality will be "CD".
    Instead, it will have two subscription tiers defined by audio quality: $10 a month for a compressed format (the standard on most digital outlets) and $20 for CD-quality streams.
    Cheers
    Orb

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orb View Post
    One concern I would have is that Tidal is meant to also be a hirez streaming service, yet the linked article suggests the best level of quality will be "CD".

Cheers
    Orb
    Where does Tidal claim to be hirez?

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatmore View Post
    Where does Tidal claim to be hirez?
    IIRC they were never hirez but rather streaming cd quality music not like Spotify or Pandora
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Addicted to Best!
    oops double post
    Last edited by Whatmore; 04-01-2015 at 05:33 AM.

Addicted to Best!
    Hey,
    well no-one picked up on Gary saying hi-rez in the opening post or even how many news outlets titles say hires in association with Tidal
    yes yes I should bother to read more, but it seems everyone (in the audio/music world) is jumping on the streaming/download/cloud service bandwagon these days.
    Regarding the aspect on who makes the cash, well the details will be interesting but I bet the earnings per download is still not going to be amazing for artists, now those artists who are signed up owners possibly a different story...
    So not sure how great this is for either artists in general or audiophiles, maybe I do not get it *shrug*.

Cheers
    Orb

Addicted to Best!
    Ok I take a bit of this back but it depends upon the following (context relates to audiophiles) - thought there was something relating to hirez for Tidal.
    Meridian MQA has been tested with support from Tidal, so in essence that is hirez music albeit transferred at CD quality rates.
    If Tidal goes full in with the Meridian MQA solution this year that would be stunning for audiophiles; only downside/headache is utilising source files better than "CD", as Pono has found out this is not as easy as it seems for mainstream.

Cheers
    Orb

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] rblnr's Avatar
    They have mentioned the possibility of hirez in the future, but right now, it's CD quality as per other posts -- but this is a victory in itself. Hopefully with Jay-Z et al behind it, they'll put significant marketing behind the idea of higher quality streaming. Marketing on a large scale is the only way for quality streaming to get any mass traction.
    -- Bob

Industry participation disclosure: dealer for Paradigm, Anthem, NAD, Scaena, The Clue loudspeaker, AMR/iFi, Hegel, Bluesound, PS Audio, Artnovion acoustic treatment www.outreachav.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast