Why demos and box swapping make me happier than buying

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison [you know - the light bulb inventor].

zz.

Nice! :)

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
Great post Jack. Despite all of that kvetching about whatever, people seemed to miss the point of that article. Experiences, especially shared ones, are the pure gold of life...and scientifically(according to the article) have been shown to increase in value with time. (pretty sure none of my components are currently doing that!!). I've been blessed with a great life. Lots of hard work and sacrifice (and some luck), but there's been a payoff. Right now I'm at the BMW performance driving school in South Carolina with a friend. Spent the day getting the Sh&# scared out of me on the racetrack. Last weekend I went to watch the professional tennis players in Miami with 3 buddies, one of whom just got a citation XLS that we used to get there. The same guys (and wives) went out to Napa last year for a ridiculous wine tasting trip that culminated with a 5 hour lunch at the French Laundry. I could go on and on... (BTW, I'm sure many of you have lists of things that you've done far more interesting) All stuff that has made for great memories that have bonded the participants more and more as the years go by. I have a pretty fancy system by most standards. I've had all of these people in my audio room and no one gets it but me. It has value to me, but certainly the money spent on the equipment is a questionable value proposition at best in the grand scheme of things. So here's to continuing to invest in experiences. Thanks Jack for the shove in the right direction.

I also want to thank Jack for being an incredible host when I visited him in Manila last summer. I feel bad that I didn't post something after I returned. Life and small children got in the way. Jack and his brothers are beyond exceptional hosts. We had a ball. I wish I could have stayed longer, but I had a dinner I had to attend my visit was limited to a couple of hours. If anyone happens to find their way to Manila...these are some fun guys!!!! I hope to make it back someday.

Best,

Brian

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
BF, I must admit I feel I have prob missed out a lot by not having done more re arts/performances/reading/travel. I work awkward hours which means I often finish too late in the evening to go to too many concerts/plays, which I sorely would love to have done. I guess I could have done more at weekends.
My system certainly is a compensation for this meaning that I enjoy it a lot at a time that suits me.
Where it has been a distraction and I'm prob guilty of the audiophile tag that Bonzo proposes, is that I use it as badge of honour to "justify" my choices, i.e. the choice itself becomes the justification of the choice.
I'm also a little insular in approach, not the most gregarious of people, hence teamwork experiences like sport haven't always appealed. Again, a lone habit like ours fits right in, and again "justifies" the choice.
Also I've had experiences I haven't always enjoyed, and the return to the system has been welcome, "justifying" the choice.
Now, if I haven't psychoanalysed myself too much in public :eek:, I'm really going to muse on this article and maybe redress the balance a little.

caesar

May 30, 2010
... Audiophilia (box swapping, being geeky about gear, demoing) is a different hobby than music, though related to it. I never used the words subservience and most of what you have written up there, I cannot relate to. I never suggested my path is superior to yours, not on this thread anyway. If you think I think so due to offline arguments, I suggest we keep that offline.

In fact , what you are saying in your message is that you agree with me, because you love listening to music on youtube, in the vehicle, on your GF's system, and then you have a different hobby to upgrade your home system to it's max.

..... Take it all in good spirits

Bonzo, I think I understand what you are trying to say, but people are after things in this hobby. What you call audiophilia is chasing a dream of getting into a time machine...check this thread out: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ace-of-many%85&p=256156&viewfull=1#post256156

caesar

May 30, 2010
Great post Jack. Despite all of that kvetching about whatever, people seemed to miss the point of that article. Experiences, especially shared ones, are the pure gold of life...and scientifically(according to the article) have been shown to increase in value with time. (pretty sure none of my components are currently doing that!!). I've been blessed with a great life. Lots of hard work and sacrifice (and some luck), but there's been a payoff. Right now I'm at the BMW performance driving school in South Carolina with a friend. Spent the day getting the Sh&# scared out of me on the racetrack. Last weekend I went to watch the professional tennis players in Miami with 3 buddies, one of whom just got a citation XLS that we used to get there. The same guys (and wives) went out to Napa last year for a ridiculous wine tasting trip that culminated with a 5 hour lunch at the French Laundry. I could go on and on... (BTW, I'm sure many of you have lists of things that you've done far more interesting) All stuff that has made for great memories that have bonded the participants more and more as the years go by. I have a pretty fancy system by most standards. I've had all of these people in my audio room and no one gets it but me. It has value to me, but certainly the money spent on the equipment is a questionable value proposition at best in the grand scheme of things. So here's to continuing to invest in experiences. Thanks Jack for the shove in the right direction.

I also want to thank Jack for being an incredible host when I visited him in Manila last summer. I feel bad that I didn't post something after I returned. Life and small children got in the way. Jack and his brothers are beyond exceptional hosts. We had a ball. I wish I could have stayed longer, but I had a dinner I had to attend my visit was limited to a couple of hours. If anyone happens to find their way to Manila...these are some fun guys!!!! I hope to make it back someday.

Best,

Brian

Nice post! Appreciation, gratitude, connection with others..Great Stuff!!!

A lot of musical experiences are quite solitary and have primarily intrinsic benefits. It’s is a contributing factor to “good sound” being a tiny niche in a “social” world, where you can show off to others with a desired marketing label or brand. Showing off your $70k BMW to your neighbors and colleagues or keep your $70K speaker in a pristine room… Other benefits aside, those cable elevators are a great marketing idea!

Interestingly, a lot of people knock audio shows because of bad sound, but miss the point of attendees reaping the benefits of social connection. Likewise with audio boards….

caesar

May 30, 2010
Furthermore, being geeky about gear, while using imaginative powers, is its own experience, just like these:

Listening to grateful dead show on a cassette tape, that has been taped over 200 times, in a car on a cross-country trip
Attending a live grateful dead show with your close friends
Listening to a betty board soundboard tape of grateful dead show at an after a killer grateful dead concert
Listening to a remastered grateful dead show with your friends on your high end system
….

All different experiences, related to the music, and all work to reap happiness

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing