Lyra atlas

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
Hello this is my first post -I have been following the forum for a while and recently decided to purchase a new cartridge so was looking at threads on this subject for guidance
I am based in the UK.

Eventually settled on a Lyra Atlas. It is always a bit of a lottery buying carts over here as it is nigh on impossible to try them in a home system.

I have it mounted in my Kuzma 4point and XL TT. I use an USB microscope to check SRA and mini oscilloscope for setting azimuth.

The atlas is certainly the most sensitive cartridge (to incorrect azimuth) I have encountered not only when measuring but also listening.
Image and balance did not fall into place until the azimuth had been precisely set.

The first couple of hours listening have not been a disappointment, the transparency, dynamics and solidity are all there. My concerns that Lyras might be over analytical, or a little bright, have not be founded. The Atlas seems an excellent match for the Kuzma.

The airtight PC 3 I have been using stands up surprisingly well against the Atlas, produces similar dynamics and scale but not the detail. A, not original analogy, like a very high res B&W digital photo compared to a large format negative. They look almost identical but when inspected closely the digital has areas of tone that are not quite as well rendered or are “blown”.

All in all very pleased with the results.

ATLASside.jpg ATLASfront.jpg ATLAS-sra.jpg

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
What a fantastic first post! Welcome here, this is my favorite forum, I certainly hope you post more.

Very cool pics.

I've had a Atlas now for a few years. I agree, it tells you quickly if something in the set up is wrong.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Congratulations, and I agree with jfrech, great first post. The photos are very good. It looks like the stylus is about 92 degrees relative to the tiny square plate at the end of the cantilever. I wonder if this is on purpose to achieve close to ideal SRA when the arm is parallel to the LP surface.

Here is a photo of my AirTight PC-1 Supreme

frame11.jpg

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Peter

Jonathon Carr leaves nothing to chance. I would absolutely say yes to the stylus position relative to the square plate - all part of the design to have the cartridge in its ideal position when the tonearm is parallel to the lp surface.

As has been mentioned, absolutely superb photo of the Atlas stylus.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thank you for your kind words.
Did your Atlas need running in at all?

Oh sure. I'd say 25-50 hours (it's been awhile so I can't remember exactly). It relaxes and breaths more...things extend better...

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
Thanks for that - I have probably only got about 15 hrs in at most.

PeterA
Your supreme looks very similar to the Atlas cantilever construction.

I have been experimenting with the SRA and have now found the best position by listening for; image, focus, depth etc.
Reassuringly the microscope shot seems to show the stylus rake at about 92/93 degrees.

It does mean the arm is set well below the horizontal though, as can be seen in the photo below.

Thanks to everyone for positive feedback.

kuzma-arm-angle-Ex-Small.jpg

this is the SRA estimate photo

Atlas92.5ExvSmall.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing