Andriod update completely changed all my screens, I hate it

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I hate the new 5.1 operating system for my Note 3. Every screen has changed, the key pad is now light colored, the way you answer calls is different, the way you enter contacts is different, the color motif is aqua a terrible color IMHO. I can't read anything in the daylight. All of my bookmark favorites are gone. It's almost like it's not finished being developed with much more white space and bad aqua colors.

I went straight to the ATT tech center and the rep said there is nothing I can do about, he said if I reset phone to factory settings the update will happen again.

I am shocked that the changes are so severe. I am going shopping for a new phone because of this.

Anyone else bothered by this?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I hate the new 5.1 operating system for my Note 3. Every screen has changed, the key pad is now light colored, the way you answer calls is different, the way you enter contacts is different, the color motif is aqua a terrible color IMHO. I can't read anything in the daylight. All of my bookmark favorites are gone. It's almost like it's not finished being developed with much more white space and bad aqua colors.

I went straight to the ATT tech center and the rep said there is nothing I can do about, he said if I reset phone to factory settings the update will happen again.

I am shocked that the changes are so severe. I am going shopping for a new phone because of this.

I thought that you had a 6+

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sorry to hear about this and I suppose I should be glad that the 5.1 upgrade is not available (yet?) for my Note 1. It doesn't much matter in my case as my contract is up in June and I won't be getting another Note. Since I retired, and my Note was primarily a phone used for work, I don't need the large screen any longer and I'm thinking about trying out a Windows phone.

What phone are you considering?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Android is turning into a disaster. Every five seconds there is an update to something that completely changes the user interface. Some fundamental lessons of good design does not exist at Google because their core business is search, not software development. This is something that is deeply understood by likes of Apple and Microsoft. Google took what was at first a great alternative and completely screwed it up. I am still learning how to use my new Android phone weeks after I bought it. And I don't have 5.X on it yet!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Android is turning into a disaster. Every five seconds there is an update to something that completely changes the user interface. Some fundamental lessons of good design does not exist at Google because their core business is search, not software development. This is something that is deeply understood by likes of Apple and Microsoft. Google took what was at first a great alternative and completely screwed it up. I am still learning how to use my new Android phone weeks after I bought it. And I don't have 5.X on it yet!

Get ready for the aqua experience with white space galore... yuck.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Peter and good morning to you. I am personally not bothered by it because I don't have an Android phone but believe you me, if this happened to my phone? I would have the same stance as you. People in our position / line of work don't just use the phone as a phone. It's somewhat of a "command center", if you will.

I feel for you and good luck with a speedy resolution.

Tom

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Ummm, there's a simple fix here...Sell ( if you can???) and BUY an Apple. Now that's easy, LOL.:cool:

+100. iOS destroys Android, if for only one reason. There is one iOS across all devices instead of multiple mutant versions of Android..which each manufacturer is working with.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I am still learning how to use my new Android phone weeks after I bought it.

This kind of thing is what I have zero patience for and find incredibly costly in a bunch of ways.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Now is when the market really misses WebOS. HP blundered there.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Now is when the market really misses WebOS. HP blundered there.

Buy an LG TV. HP put itself firmly in the commodity business by not developing that or any other OS.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Totally agree. Dumb on HP's part. They have lost their shining soul from the time of Carly.

I do have an LG TV, but webOS there is unrecognizable.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

My Lollipop OS on my Nexus is better than iOS. Easier, faster, and more convenient.

I haven't used the phones.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My Lollipop OS on my Nexus is better than iOS. Easier, faster, and more convenient.

I haven't used the phones.
The phones are much worse because they are a tangled mess of what the manufacturer does and Google. On my Samsung Edge for example, I click on what I think is the icon for text messages. A dialog opens and asks me if I want Samsung Messaging to be my default messaging app. I say no and it just quits! What the heck??? It can't do its job without making itself the default app?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Progress! Bah humbug! :p. Next phone is going to be plain and simple. I don't need it for business any longer, so I don't need the apps I used to use or push email, and I don't do video on my phone or much internet access. I'll miss my banking apps and my Blu-ray collection app, but other than that I can do without.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing