Honda S-2000.....how could i not buy it?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
yesterday we took a cream puff 2006 Honda S-2000 black on black with 16,000 miles on it in trade....in perfect condition. we had sold this car originally and then sold it to the current owner in 2008 with 13,000 miles on it, and this owner put 3000 more miles on it over the last 6 years. I know this owner personally and know how it's been babied.

I've been on the hunt for the right S-2000 for a few years; since any other toy car I cannot drive to work ( for those who don't know i'm a G.M. of a large Honda dealership and have a demo I drive every day....the S-2000 will be strictly a toy.). I have not been thinking about toy cars lately; but I really have no choice but to jump on this one.

there are many great fun cars to choose from; but I do think that the S-2000 brings a unique combination of fun, toss-able mid-engine balanced handling, lightweight over 100 hp per litre normally aspirated high reving 4 cylinder engine, and 'Honda' ergonomics, mechanical sophistication, and ease of cost and hassle of ownership. it's no ultimate performance car; but it does do 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, and 160mph+. it's a comfortable car when driven on the edge.

and the top comes down.

it does not fit everyone; but my 32" inseam fit's it like a glove.

and I can drive it work and park it next to my office, and not feel guilty about it. it's not tying up important audio dollars and if I keep the miles down it will only increase in value. I drove S-2000's for years as demos and did own one previously for a year. so I know exactly what i'm getting.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Are you going to get the New NSX as your daily driver?

No dealer mark-up to you & your service department better do everything perfect!
How could you turn it down?
zz.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
No dealer mark-up to you & your service department better do everything perfect!
How could you turn it down?
zz.

can't drive an Acura to work and park near my office. it would have to sit at home. so not an option.

of course; the likely near $200k price tag is also an issue....i'd have to sell my amps which is not going to happen.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I heard the dealership *&(% with you on the price :D

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congratulations Mike. What a fun and great little car. It's too bad you are not in NY or I am not closer to you. I'm in need of a new car and would love to visit a dealership that I could trust. And one where the GM speaks audio is just icing on the cake.

Enjoy your new to you S-2000, great score.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congratulations Mike. What a fun and great little car. It's too bad you are not in NY or I am not closer to you. I'm in need of a new car and would love to visit a dealership that I could trust. And one where the GM speaks audio is just icing on the cake.

Enjoy your new to you S-2000, great score.

Buy it from Mike and have it driven/truck'd across to you?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Buy it from Mike and have it driven/truck'd across to you?

Thanks Lloyd. It crossed my mind and I'd love to buy from Mike. But it's the subsequent service and routine maintenance where I place as much value in the relationship. Granted, Hondas, like my Toyota (almost 8 years old with 135K miles on the odometer, all without a hiccup), are very reliable. I'd like to be able to take the car to my dealer and not worry that I am getting taken advantage of when the bill comes. Thankfully I am not on a first name basis with my Toyota service department. :D

And yes, audio gear before fancy cars for me, I can't afford both ;)

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
yesterday we took a cream puff 2006 Honda S-2000 black on black with 16,000 miles on it in trade....in perfect condition. we had sold this car originally and then sold it to the current owner in 2008 with 13,000 miles on it, and this owner put 3000 more miles on it over the last 6 years. I know this owner personally and know how it's been babied.

I've been on the hunt for the right S-2000 for a few years; since any other toy car I cannot drive to work ( for those who don't know i'm a G.M. of a large Honda dealership and have a demo I drive every day....the S-2000 will be strictly a toy.). I have not been thinking about toy cars lately; but I really have no choice but to jump on this one.

there are many great fun cars to choose from; but I do think that the S-2000 brings a unique combination of fun, toss-able mid-engine balanced handling, lightweight over 100 hp per litre normally aspirated high reving 4 cylinder engine, and 'Honda' ergonomics, mechanical sophistication, and ease of cost and hassle of ownership. it's no ultimate performance car; but it does do 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, and 160mph+. it's a comfortable car when driven on the edge.

and the top comes down.

it does not fit everyone; but my 32" inseam fit's it like a glove.

and I can drive it work and park it next to my office, and not feel guilty about it. it's not tying up important audio dollars and if I keep the miles down it will only increase in value. I drove S-2000's for years as demos and did own one previously for a year. so I know exactly what i'm getting.

Superb choice there Mike.
The only other car that ticks the same boxes would, IMHO be the criminally underrated Toyota mr-s , especially one with the 2zz engine conversion and 6spd gearbox
Enjoy!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Superb choice there Mike.
The only other car that ticks the same boxes would, IMHO be the criminally underrated Toyota mr-s , especially one with the 2zz engine conversion and 6spd gearbox
Enjoy!

thanks.

it's now 'end of summer' and I've driven it approximately 30 days over a 4 month May-August period. the odometer has gone from 16,130 miles in late March when I bought it, to 17,450 now. likely I won't drive it again till next spring.

the top has not been 'up' when it's been out of the garage except for when it's parked somewhere. so it did 'scratch' the itch it was intended for. and the marketplace for it has only increased since I bought it.

and it made me smile every time I drove it. I did not spend one nickel on it except for gasoline. and I never worried a second that it would have any trouble. so all good.

the only problem is when we take another 'fun' car in trade and I get the wanderlust......we just took in a 2006 Porsche Caymen S, Silver/black leather, Sport Suspension, with 69k miles. very very clean, the Porsche dealer gave it a clean bill of health (needs a few services). this car has another 50hp and is a second quicker to 60mph, and has another 15 mph top speed. definitely a step up in performance.......but....the top does not come down :( and I could not park it next to my office :(. it's about the same value. more car, but it does not check all the boxes.

'pass'

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
That S2000 is all about the corner, and I happen to know there is an abundance of fun ones near you!

See you soon, I will come out in spring, help you dust it off, take it out and make sure it survived its dormancy, park it, make sure the Whistle Pig survived some additional aging and warm up the amps a spell!

Us industry car guys have to stick together, not many understand the fickleness (being nice) of what we do everyday!

Will be out there for good beginning of October. :D:)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
thanks.

it's now 'end of summer' and I've driven it approximately 30 days over a 4 month May-August period. the odometer has gone from 16,130 miles in late March when I bought it, to 17,450 now. likely I won't drive it again till next spring.

the top has not been 'up' when it's been out of the garage except for when it's parked somewhere. so it did 'scratch' the itch it was intended for. and the marketplace for it has only increased since I bought it.

and it made me smile every time I drove it. I did not spend one nickel on it except for gasoline. and I never worried a second that it would have any trouble. so all good.

the only problem is when we take another 'fun' car in trade and I get the wanderlust......we just took in a 2006 Porsche Caymen S, Silver/black leather, Sport Suspension, with 69k miles. very very clean, the Porsche dealer gave it a clean bill of health (needs a few services). this car has another 50hp and is a second quicker to 60mph, and has another 15 mph top speed. definitely a step up in performance.......but....the top does not come down :( and I could not park it next to my office :(. it's about the same value. more car, but it does not check all the boxes.

'pass'

LoL

Get the NSX.

The Prototype at the last Geneva auto show was stellar looking.

Or this, LoL

DSC01722.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Norman,

thanks for the temptations.

in my youth I was very into cars; but then I got into the car business, had to drive demos of the cars I sold, so decided it did not make sense to also have my hobby 'toy cars'. if I can't drive it to work, then it's not a choice.

that is why I have the S-2000. my employees are good with it and so it makes life simple. i could not drive the new NSX to work either as in this country it's an Acura......not a Honda(forgetting about the cost of the thing).

i could have a couple/three Porsche's, or a couple Ferrari's, and maybe less of a stereo system. but they would just be trophy's i could rarely drive. whereas my stereo is a many hours a day active enjoyment thing. and i'm not financially capable of wretched excess in more than one expensive hobby (and still be able to retire someday soon).;)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I know Mike. Just an excuse to post a few nice pictures...hehehe

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
If I was in your shoes I might get the motor rebuilt with a turbo, it's way too slow stock especially compared to today's cars... my WRX does 0-60 in the low 4 sec range with minor mods... but it looks great and I'm sure it's a blast to drive despite the lack of power.

If I was looking at a new sports car that isn't crazy expensive it would be new Vette, they are amazing cars. I drove a previous model Z06 Vette and it was the most fun to drive of anything I've ever been in, made my modded WRX seem like the economy car it is...

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
If I was in your shoes I might get the motor rebuilt with a turbo, it's way too slow stock especially compared to today's cars... my WRX does 0-60 in the low 4 sec range with minor mods... but it looks great and I'm sure it's a blast to drive despite the lack of power.

If I was looking at a new sports car that isn't crazy expensive it would be new Vette, they are amazing cars. I drove a previous model Z06 Vette and it was the most fun to drive of anything I've ever been in, made my modded WRX seem like the economy car it is...

for whatever reason i'm a 'stock' guy. i like stuff factory correct. maybe it's connected to my life as a dealership general manager dealing with people 'thrashing' their Civic Si's and S-2000's and then trying to get warranty coverage for resulting damage. you see where a turbo has been bolted up, or other signs of abuse, and somehow a pure pedigree matters.

in fact; right now if you tried to find an S-2000 'stock' and original they are very rare. almost all of them are 'whored out' one way or another.

OTOH i agree there is more potential in the S-2000 than it's performance stock. we all have our ways of looking at things.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
That S2000 is all about the corner, and I happen to know there is an abundance of fun ones near you!

See you soon, I will come out in spring, help you dust it off, take it out and make sure it survived its dormancy, park it, make sure the Whistle Pig survived some additional aging and warm up the amps a spell!

Us industry car guys have to stick together, not many understand the fickleness (being nice) of what we do everyday!

Will be out there for good beginning of October. :D:)

nice to hear your move is happening.

you will need to visit again to hear the changes I've made in the room since you were here.

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
i owned a brand new s2000 for 5 years that i used mostly on the track. i put c. 10000 kms on it. and i ate m3's for lunch

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing