050 Kronos PRO-250.JPG

A shot of the Maggie 20.7's playing a 1950's Jim Reeves album:
Maggie and AR Amps.JPG

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Oh, I can't forget to mention the Andre Theriault Black Beauty tonearm. Multiple layers of solid carbon fiber. Mounts on a single bearing. No strings, wires or other supports.

Andre Theriault Black Beauty.jpeg

Reactions: Zeotrope

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
If it sounds as good as it looks...:D

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Cool! We got ours too, all set up, but still waiting for the cart, an Ortofon A95 that should be arriving soon!

IMG_3933.JPG

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Setting the azimuth for the cartridge:
View attachment 19589

Congratulations Caelin. Quite a lovely looking table and arm and I love the integrated stand. It's a very complete, and well finished looking product. I bet it sounds excellent.

Could you explain how this photo describes setting the azimuth? What is the process? To me it looks more like the lines are used to align the edges of the cartridge for proper Zenith setting. That is, making sure the cantilever matches the tangent line at the null point. A similar alignment guide is printed on the MINT protractor at the two null points, though there one actually aligns the cantilever itself at the null point rather than the edges of the cartridge.

The headshell has mounting holes rather than slots, so how it the overhang adjusted and is there enough play between the mounting screws and holes to rotate the cartridge slightly in the headshell for zenith adjustment?

Also, it seems that at least three recent high performance turntable releases have been belt drive with integrated suspension: TechDas AF1, AF2, Kronos. This is in contrast to the Wave Kinetics and VPI DD tables. I wonder if this means that speed issues with belt drives have been dramatically reduced.

Great packaging with those flight cases. Thanks so much for sharing the photos of the installation. Wonderful looking system.

Last edited:

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Congratulations Caelin. Quite a lovely looking table and arm and I love the integrated stand. It's a very complete, and well finished looking product. I bet it sounds excellent.

Could you explain how this photo describes setting the azimuth? What is the process? To me it looks more like the lines are used to align the edges of the cartridge for proper Zenith setting. That is, making sure the cantilever matches the tangent line at the null point. A similar alignment guide is printed on the MINT protractor at the two null points, though there one actually aligns the cantilever itself at the null point rather than the edges of the cartridge.

The headshell has mounting holes rather than slots, so how it the overhang adjusted and is there enough play between the mounting screws and holes to rotate the cartridge slightly in the headshell for zenith adjustment?

Also, it seems that at least three recent high performance turntable releases have been belt drive: TechDas AF1, AF2, Kronos with integrated suspension. This is in contrast to the Wave Kinetics and VPI DD tables. I wonder if this means that speed issues with belt drives have been dramatically reduced.

Great packaging with those flight cases. Thanks so much for sharing the photos of the installation. Wonderful looking system.

The template shown was for lateral cartridge alignment but we were doing several adjustments at the same time. I am not an expert although I have had many turntables since the 1970's. Louis did all the setup and I just observed. Actually, the azimuth adjustment is unique since there are no wires and anything else attached to the arm. I should take a closeup photo so you can see how the arms is "mounted". It just has a ball attached to the bottom of the arm and that ball sits in a cup that has a lubricant in it. The counter balance weight can be rotated around the polar axis of the arm which causes the azimuth to change. But the arm just floats in the ball cup - no other attachments. I had a Well Tempered table and arm that was pretty elegant but this is even simpler.

The Kronos uses DC motors that are digitally controlled for speed. Each counter-rotating platter has an independent motor and is controlled independently.

This is my final turntable and am very happy with its performance.

Reactions: Zeotrope

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Very cool and congratulations ! Curious how a log cabin room sounds? I suspect the walls really help with difraction

Maggie's are great speakers...hard to beat for the $$'s

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing