Spectral DMC-30 SV

rjc1845

Jun 22, 2016
Greater Boston
I see the 30SV has a user selectable gain setting of 15 or 21db for each input. Does anyone know the factory default setting?
Is there an optimum range of volume control (ie 35-55% or 60-80%) for normal listening or is it equal across the board?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
High gain is the default on all preamps and there is a very small loss of resolution at the lower setting. The preamp is very linear and acts like a dynamic headroom control rather than a volume/loudness control.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
I see the 30SV has a user selectable gain setting of 15 or 21db for each input. Does anyone know the factory default setting?
Is there an optimum range of volume control (ie 35-55% or 60-80%) for normal listening or is it equal across the board?

I am aware that this exists, though I believe it’s best to work with the dealer to determine best for your particular system. In prior versions the optimal playback range was more limited, and therefore there was clear benefit in having this done. The new SV is not nearly as sensitive. So, I’d think only the extremes might prove less than optimum.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing