VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
steve

I see you don't use MIT cables with your Spectral

have you tried MIT...any thoughts?

Last edited:

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Sorry I forgot to add these; take the Spectra/MIT 770 and 350's for granted. These were mandated when I purchased the prior Spectral components. There are likely alternatives out there but I don't wish to either break any warranties and nobody I've spoken with have suggested I'd be far better off with, say Transparent or other alternatives. Given that Wilson / Spectral / Berkeley gear all seem to yield musical consonance, I'm very happy with what I'm hearing. Just listening to the RR high resolution Saint-Saens recording with the Kansas City Sym. Truly exceptional. Certainly hope this wins at the Grammys this year for Keith and company.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Sorry I forgot to add these; take the Spectra/MIT 770 and 350's for granted. These were mandated when I purchased the prior Spectral components. There are likely alternatives out there but I don't wish to either break any warranties and nobody I've spoken with have suggested I'd be far better off with, say Transparent or other alternatives. Given that Wilson / Spectral / Berkeley gear all seem to yield musical consonance, I'm very happy with what I'm hearing. Just listening to the RR high resolution Saint-Saens recording with the Kansas City Sym. Truly exceptional. Certainly hope this wins at the Grammys this year for Keith and company.

Enjoy your fantastic set!
groetjes,
Wim

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Steve, where are you using the synergistic cabling, and on what components are you using the MIT cables? Thanks

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Hi Steve, where are you using the synergistic cabling, and on what components are you using the MIT cables? Thanks

Bythebay Steve ;)... do never, ever audition the MIT MA-X2 or higher cables!

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
The MIT/Spectral cables include speaker wire and interconnect between the preamp and the amps. The Synergistic cabling is for all the digital components (Atmosphere balanced between the Berkeley Reference DAC and the preamp represents the lone analogue connection). Recently started using a Wyred4Sound reclocker between Sonos and Berkeley DAC which has improved things a bit as well.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
I might if Spectral offered a version with MIT that met the requisite requirements which Mr. Johnson has imposed on their gear.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So, MIT IC are required only between pre and power, not between digital/phono and pre?

What is a decent level of MIT cables required, want to look at used prices

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
There are few choices as I understand it. Suggest you visit the Spectral Audio site to see what's recommended, or check with dealers. Or worse case, on the Spectral site, see if you can call them to get sales support.

By the way, does anyone know how to add a photo to their signature? I'd like to put up a single shot of my system (so you can all see the rediculous spaghetti of wiring that Synergistic Research creates; and that doesn't begin to reflect the enormous weight of the AC cables, which try and pull themselves out of receptacles).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard good things about the atmosphere cables. Waiting for them to come cheap on the used market

idiofilo

Apr 14, 2016
Hello!
My question: between the cooler of the line module of the 30SV, what is written in...? Rev.E...?
Another question: have you ever seen "Rev.C" module...?
I think that Rev.A was in the early 30S, Rev.B in the 30SL, Rev.D in the G2 SL and SS; and what about SV...?

And.... 30SC...?

hhhhmmm

Thank you.

lydon

Jul 9, 2011
@Ack,
Would you be so kind to post the DMC 30SV official specification sheet. The one posted on page 3-4 of this thread by Wizard was titled "preliminary." As a WBF senior member you have pretty much led the way on specifics concerning the official word on Spectral products and the company's website has fallen behind posting the 30SV specs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yardbird

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Sorry that's all I have as well. I am equally annoyed that there is no web page on the preamp, over a year after its announcement. It feels like a phantom product, or an undocumented immigrant :D BTW, there is nothing "official" about what I say, I just like to share what I know and hear.

jonstanza

Apr 9, 2013
Lisbon PT
Dear Sirs

A question, in the model DMC-30SS of Spectral, which of the inputs this preamplifier has better performance, input XRL or RCA?

Best Regards
Joao

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
With the 30SS I would use the RCA connection; my 30SV is first preamp with which I have used the balanced in.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Gene 15352

Feb 18, 2013
Canada
Hello. We can all agree that the 30SV is superior to all previous versions of their preamps. Just wanted to know if anyone has moved up from a 30SS to a 30SV with a non-Spectral amp? What type of improvements did you hear, small incremental changes or jaw dropping? Also, can someone expand on what idiofilo posted regarding the cooler module of the 30SV. Am I to assume by his statement that the 30SS is technically "coloured" due its slight "warmth" over the 30SV? If I did not have any immediate plans in purchasing the DMA 300/400 amps, is the move to a 30SV unjustified and resources are better spent in upgrading my speakers? Thank you to any responses.
Gene

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing