RG58 Coax as audio cable

Light Dependant Resistor

May 10, 2014
Hi
RG58 coax the variety that has a silver proper braid, not strands of copper is well worthwhile trying as interconnect
It needs good end fittings. I presently use it for both interconnects, digital links and speaker cable, where i keep the
outer as a shield for both positive and negative leads.

Has anyone else discovered this relatively inexpensive cable for audio ?

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I used it for a sub cable and it worked fine. There are a lot of DIY cables using RG58.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
A lot of audio cable is simply RG-59 or RG-6 as manufacturers can use it for audio and video. There are a lot of similar "flavors" of these cables with various levels of shielding and so forth.

I have used things like RG-62 in the past for its lower capacitance; probably doesn't really matter but I had a long'ish line to my TT at one time plus had high-Z tube preamp outputs so was counting every little bit...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing