Gryphon Audio - Audiophile Experiences

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Madfloyd, maybe I can help you, basically Gryphon Classe A Amps ( Colosseum and Mephisto ) are faster and more transparent than Pass Labs Class A Amps. Antileon are more warmer a bit colored and not so Clear like Colosseum and Mephisto. I could tell you Antileon is closer to Pass Labs than Colosseum and Mephisto. Till today Antilleon Amp can be ordered by special order, exactly to that costumers who prefer a most colored result.

In time, I'm not a Tube guy as Loyd is, so Colosseum and Mephisto are the two best Amplifiers I know Today. Mephisto is my Reference just like Pandora is my reference pre amp.

How do you compare the Mephisto v Colosseum and Colosseum v Antileon? I have done the latter comparison myself since i owned both...but never compared with Mephisto. I am told the difference between Colosseum and Antileon is much greater than the difference between Mephisto and Colosseum, but again i have never compared myself.

Thanks for any insight!

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
How do you compare the Mephisto v Colosseum and Colosseum v Antileon? I have done the latter comparison myself since i owned both...but never compared with Mephisto. I am told the difference between Colosseum and Antileon is much greater than the difference between Mephisto and Colosseum, but again i have never compared myself.

Thanks for any insight!

Hi LL21,

recently we have a chance to compare directly the Gryphon Colosseum and Antileon. The difference between them is very big, biggger than I imagined. The Colosseum is more transparent and organic, he has more velocity and definition, aniway, it's a power that shows up clearly superior to Antileon.

The Antileon is more warm, depending on personal taste and musical style, the Antileon can be a great alternative. The Colosseum doesn't choose music genre, all styles are played very natural and organic, it seems to be in front of a live performance, making us forget that it is a reproduction.

In October I will have the opportunity to compare Mirage + Colosseum X Pandora + Mephisto. As soon as I make this test I post my impressions here.

Best regards,
Ricardo.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi LL21,

recently we have a chance to compare directly the Gryphon Colosseum and Antileon. The difference between them is very big, biggger than I imagined. The Colosseum is more transparent and organic, he has more velocity and definition, aniway, it's a power that shows up clearly superior to Antileon.

The Antileon is more warm, depending on personal taste and musical style, the Antileon can be a great alternative. The Colosseum doesn't choose music genre, all styles are played very natural and organic, it seems to be in front of a live performance, making us forget that it is a reproduction.

In October I will have the opportunity to compare Mirage + Colosseum X Pandora + Mephisto. As soon as I make this test I post my impressions here.

Best regards,
Ricardo.

Thanks for taking the time to post this, Ricardo!!! Much appreciated and great to know. Enjoy and look forward to your thoughts on Colosseum v Mephisto!

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to post this, Ricardo!!! Much appreciated and great to know. Enjoy and look forward to your thoughts on Colosseum v Mephisto!

Oh, I didn't remember speak about the rest of the system: Dynaudio Evidence Temptation, dCS Puccini + U'Clock, Gryphon Sonata Allegro preamp, Gryphon Mirage preamp, Kubala-Sosna Elation and Douglas Cables Mirage speaker cable, Douglas Cables Mirage and Echole Obssession Signature interconnects, Douglas Cables Mirage and Kubala-Sosna Elation and Transparent Powerlink MM2 power cables.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Oh, I didn't remember speak about the rest of the system: Dynaudio Evidence Temptation, dCS Puccini + U'Clock, Gryphon Sonata Allegro preamp, Gryphon Mirage preamp, Kubala-Sosna Elation and Douglas Cables Mirage speaker cable, Douglas Cables Mirage and Echole Obssession Signature interconnects, Douglas Cables Mirage and Kubala-Sosna Elation and Transparent Powerlink MM2 power cables.

Thanks! I think Turntable here also posted on Audiogon a few years ago his own comparison of Antileon vs Colosseum, and i recall he agreed with your assessment. He much preferred the Colosseum for its greater clarity, resolution and treble.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm seriously considering replacing the set Mirage + Legato Legacy SA to Pandora + Legato Legacy board, but also I have the possibility to use the Legato NPS with the power supply of Pandora.

In your opinion the set Pandora + Legato Legacy board is higher than the set Mirage + Legato Legacy SA?

Another question, I think using the Legato Legacy board with the Pandora can bring me some harm if compare with the Legato Legacy NPS sharing only the power supply of Pandora. Someone had this experience?

PS. Trueblue, could you help me with his extensive experience with Gryphon?

Nice regards,
Ricardo.

Last edited:

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Happy to help...just one man's opinion. All i can say is getting 'your regional/country expert' at setting up your Wilsons will make a HUGE difference. Not only does placement matter and not only do each of the 3 upper modules move up/down and in/out...but the resistors for each cone need to be adjusted/changed in order to accommodate your system, room and of course your ear.

And every change of those above WILL make a difference in many cases. Certainly in all 3 of the rooms i have auditioned Wilsons over the years, the subtlest changes in setup made huge changes in sound. Hard, brittle, balanced, boomy, etc.

Lloyd,

excellent information, I didn't know were needed all these adjustments.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd,

excellent information, I didn't know were needed all these adjustments.

No worries, Ricardo...when you buy Wilson, this service is included as part of delivery and installation. And to be fair, i bought a 2nd hand pair from a Wilson dealer and still got this excellent service, even when we moved homes.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
It's very good to know that, I know a person who bought the X1 and upgraded for X2 or XLF, I don't remember. You thought about doing that too?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It's very good to know that, I know a person who bought the X1 and upgraded for X2 or XLF, I don't remember. You thought about doing that too?

Yes, I have considered it...however, i have elected (for now) to keep my X1s (which have had some pretty meaningful tweaks along the way). I think any 'final speaker' is probably going to have to include: Arrakis 2, Genesis, Pendragon and probably XLF...as considerations. But frankly, when the X1s are set up right, and the sub is dialed in...it is really hard to start thinking about another set of speakers, and instead i start thinking about buying more music or just enjoying...

The tweaks have included latest gen Titanium tweeter, Transparent RefMM jumper cables, Stillpoints Ultra 5s, and also some vibration isolation on top of the speakers (which i am still playing with).

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Yes, I have considered it...however, i have elected (for now) to keep my X1s (which have had some pretty meaningful tweaks along the way). I think any 'final speaker' is probably going to have to include: Arrakis 2, Genesis, Pendragon and probably XLF...as considerations. But frankly, when the X1s are set up right, and the sub is dialed in...it is really hard to start thinking about another set of speakers, and instead i start thinking about buying more music or just enjoying...

The tweaks have included latest gen Titanium tweeter, Transparent RefMM jumper cables, Stillpoints Ultra 5s, and also some vibration isolation on top of the speakers (which i am still playing with).

Once I have the opportunity, I will go to the local dealer to hear them, your comments are very positive about the X1's.

I've been reading the thread about amplifiers used with WA and saw a comparison you made between Antileon and the Colosseum, I agree with your comments.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
I have owned the original Antileon and now the Colosseum. I have only spoken with fellow Gryphon owners who have compared Colosseum to Mephisto (which they now own). I also have spoken with Gryphon about Mephisto.

My own observations in my system:

- The Antileon overall had immensely propulsive and detailed bass. It delivered the same when it arrived, and we were A/B'ing it against other big amps in the store which at the time included Krells 900s as i recall though its been some time and the ARC Ref210s.

- It also had a remarkable deep tonal reach into violin strings which was a joy to listen to. When strings really soar, there was this intense 'sweetness' at the extreme end of the note that was really rare to hear imho that brought me closer to live

- Its treble was dark but detailed, as in the treble detail was there but recessed in relation to the rest of the spectrum...more of a balance thing, when we compared with Goldmund, CJ amps. it took some getting used to, but i was okay with it

Colosseum

- The bass retains that same propulsive and controlled quality
- The treble is suddenly illuminated, extended and detailed like someone finally opened the window and the let the air in...there is a sense of 'breathing' in the upper registers that i did not get with the Antileon
- Overall seems a bit quieter, lower noise floor or at least more detail coming forth...and much, much finer grain
- The mids are 'nearly' identical...in fact, better in all aspects given noise and more refined grain...but it seems (to me) to have lost just a hint of that intense sweetness in the mids at the extremes of the note...and by hint i mean "3%-5%".

i am told by fellow Gryphon owners the Mephisto continues the path of improvement in a number of areas, but in particular that intensity of sweetness is back and even improved. Just my observations.

Your words!!! ;)

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Hi Ross,

I made the purchase in August of the last year. I'm currently changing the system to a bigger room and watching new speakers to replace my Mojo. I love my Mojo, but right now I'm aiming for greater heights.

At this momment I'm only with analog sources, the Kalliope go out to the new owner.

Thanks for your congrats.

I don't think I could part with a Kalliope if I had one-gutsy move and I am sure the recipient is very happy.
Don't underestimate the Pantheon loudspeaker-I have heard it sound magnificent in an all Gryphon system.There is a Spanish review that can be found on the Gryphon Facebook page.He drives it with Gryphon and then Ypsilon amps to compare.
Keep us posted when you hear the Trident.
Exciting times for you!

Ross,

the Kalliope is the digital source more analog I've ever heard, is an excellent player, but I'm totally honeymoon with the analog world. I'm also sure that the new owner of Kalliope is very happy with the purchase, no doubt.

I haven't discarded the Pantheon, I'm actually analyzing all possible alternatives. I have a friend who listens to the Pantheon with Diablo 300 and was surprised by the result. I have another friend who heard the Pantheon with Pandora and Mephisto, he was impressed.

Best regards,
Ricardo.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Once I have the opportunity, I will go to the local dealer to hear them, your comments are very positive about the X1's.

I've been reading the thread about amplifiers used with WA and saw a comparison you made between Antileon and the Colosseum, I agree with your comments.

Look forward to your thoughts.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Good news, now I'm waiting to install the Pandora and the Legato Legacy.

Sistema 08.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats!!! That is big news! Look forward to your thoughts as to how the Pandora compares with its predecessor (when used with your mighty Mephisto).

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
What do these amps sound like? Are they similar to Pass (only other Class A amp manufacturer that I can think of)?

MadFloyd, there is another Dane brand, Vitus, that also does CLass A Amps:)....and they are sublime on Magicos. (biased statement, as a Vitus dealer)

Vitus102s.jpg

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Congrats!!! That is big news! Look forward to your thoughts as to how the Pandora compares with its predecessor (when used with your mighty Mephisto).

Hi Lloyd,

Thank you!!!! I had the opportunity to hear the Mephisto in two different systems, that being one of them could make a direct comparison with the Colosseum, the result was very impressive.

First, I would like to say that the Colosseum is one of the best amplifiers I've ever heard, I could even stay with him for much longer, I was very happy while I was in my system. But when we put the Mephisto to work, even with a few hours he already showed well superior the Colosseum. The Mephisto has more refinement, naturalness, dynamic and attack surprising, an impressive ability to control the loudspeakers, the system seems to play much more easily even though a complex passage.

No doubt it has been the most rewarding experience, because it's not easy to join the Mephisto and the Colosseum in the same system to test them. One of the systems was composed of Kalliope, Bergmann Magne with Transfiguration Proteus and Legato Legacy SA, Mirage preamp, Colosseum / Mephisto and Gryphon Atlantis loudspeakers; the other system was composed of Mikado Signature, a preamp by Bellia (handmade in Brazil, the quality is superior to Mirage and seems to be close to Pandora), Mephisto and Anthony Gallo 5LS.

I don't had time to assemble the rest of the system, but as soon as I leave everything ready here I spend my impressions on my own system, also put more photos.

Nice regards,
Ricardo.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
When I was at Gryphon, the owner used to drive the Alpha Romeo 166 with the same 'GRYPHON' plates :) It seems he has changed to the beemer since.

Nice pics, btw.

It's his CAR, so it's a BIMMER, not a beemer.

Their motorcycles are beemers.

I wouldn't post such a thing without the proper references, so here they are:

http://www.bmwccbc.org/misc/tech-and-trivia/bimmer.html

http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/reference/bimmer-beemer.aspx

http://jalopnik.com/139926/bimmer-vs-beamer-the-answer

https://www.reddit.com/r/BMW/comments/1fr0nb/bimmer_vs_beemer_proper_terminology/

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
What do these amps sound like? Are they similar to Pass (only other Class A amp manufacturer that I can think of)?

Mad Floyd,

certainly if you have the opportunity to hear the amp/preamp Class A Gryphon, especially Pandora and Mephisto, you will notice that they aren't just another class A. You will be delighted with the way the Mephisto will guide your M-Project.

Nice regards,
Ricardo.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing