More mooks, awesome tweaks

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Hi Keith,

There is probably not a lot of point discussing any further because I believe and love what I hear and you think it is foo so the conversation would be somewhat daft.

I am trying to make a deliberate point for 2016 of not getting into any exchanges of this ilk as I can't be arsed :D. The WigWam got so extremely boring for this reason.
I completely understand ,I just don't enjoy seeing people waste their money on tweaks which can't possibly work.
Vb Keith.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
We don't really care whether you don't enjoy seeing people waste their money on tweaks which can't possibly work. Ad infinitum, wear, wash, rinse, dry, wear, wash, rinse, dry, wear, wash, rinse, dry, wear. For 10, 20, 100 pages...
We hear them as phenomenally effective. Stops us putting money into devices which really are wasteful of funds, you know which ones those are Keith.
And so here we have the crux of the matter. Mola Molas measure way better than other amps Keith has run, de facto they sound better. I beg to differ. Shun Mooks don't measure, de facto they are worthless. I beg to differ.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Probably been seen here before, but check out a couple of concert halls that are Mook'd. Bet they sound wonderful. Liking the look of the natural diffuser / resonator product.

http://www.shunmook.com/concerthall_1.html

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Probably been seen here before, but check out a couple of concert halls that are Mook'd. Bet they sound wonderful. Liking the look of the natural diffuser / resonator product.

http://www.shunmook.com/concerthall_1.html

My ghast is flabbered. That really is something. What I don't quite get is, does the use of discs in yr room Bill open up the sweet spot, or focus it more? Greg seems to imply that the acoustic of the room gets more delineated w/the tuning discs. How does this extrapolate to an enormous space where everyone needs a good "view"?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
My ghast is flabbered. That really is something. What I don't quite get is, does the use of discs in yr room Bill open up the sweet spot, or focus it more? Greg seems to imply that the acoustic of the room gets more delineated w/the tuning discs. How does this extrapolate to an enormous space where everyone needs a good "view"?

Hi Marc,

I know doubters will be laughing but you really can tune the room. I wanted lots of depth and width of stage so made sure I have a lot of discs behind speakers on back wall either side. I also wanted a very focussed central image for voices so I have 5 discs in the central axis of sweet spot. I then have others at first reflections and others on components.

The resonators are quite mad. If you want precise soundstage that is detailed and fast then the orientation of the dot on the 2 front resonators must be facing virtually forwards. As you turn the discs away from each other (left facing 7 o'clock and right facing 5 o'clock) the soundstage opens up, things soften and turn mellow. Therefore you should rotate them by small amounts at a time until you reach a presentation that suits your flavour.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Wasn't life a lot easier in the 70s and 80s when we had bass and treble controls? Something called "presence"? And for a lot of fun, the "loudness" button.
I'll give the room tuning discs a go, but I remain highly skeptical. But Mooks under gear are truly spectacular, so maybe I should worry less, and anticipate more?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, madness knows no bounds w/voodoo tweaks. Happy to have the chance too try stuff. Who in the UK can send out to trial any of this?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Spaz, I'm ok on the racks front (Symposium), cables, power and grounding. Tbh, my last field of endeavour aka budget spend of a small Third World Country, is to go Mooks: Diamond Resonators under gear, and possibly the Tuning Discs around the room; and investigating room acoustics, w/Acustica Applicata, Modex or SMT.
I've had mixed/zero results trying stuff like Shakti Stones, LessLoss Blackbodies, Pete Belt, so my tweaking may be restricted to my previous list.

Last edited:

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Spaz, I'm ok on the racks front (Symposium), cables, power and grounding. Tbh, my last field of endeavour aka budget spend of a small Third World Country, is to go Mooks: Diamond Resonators under gear, and possibly the Tuning Discs around the room; and investigating room acoustics, w/Acustica Applicata, Modex or SMT.
I've had mixed/zero results trying stuff like Shakti Stones, LessLoss Blackbodies, Pete Belt, so my tweaking may be restricted to my previous list.

Spirit,
For room acoustics I have the Stein Harmonizers and they work very well for a reasonnable cost. There is a new version that seems better yet. The good thing is once installled, you can forget about them until yo change the batteries a few years later. I know Stein is not well considered in many forums and it seems a shame to have some but they work very efficiently for me. In a little room yo can begin with 2 and go further if you need.
SM works also I think but they are more visually invasive in the room. Acoustic System Resonators are great on the ambiance of the room and deal with Harmonics and the whole ambiant wellness but they are expensive and the Silver and copper cups have to be cleaned from time to time.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Cunitgh, didn't you replace Stein signature footers with SM resonators? And the SRA?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Acoustic System Resonators are great on the ambiance of the room and deal with Harmonics and the whole ambiant wellness but they are expensive and the Silver and copper cups have to be cleaned from time to time.

I have found the Zilplex system, working along similar design principles, to be most effective in a similar vein, that and Absinthe!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, I've yet to be convinced that the SM tuning discs are the Real McCoy, maybe I'll hear them at Bill's at some stage. Happy to pootle along and invest in further Mook Diamond Resonators under gear. My initial foray into this has been REALLY interesting.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Interesting to note that Greg/UHA seems to favour a configuration of 3 X M'Pingo discs with an Single or Double Resonator, as fine tuning, on top of his electronics. A combination that I stumbled upon also during my own trial and error Mooking, I also rather like the efficacy of a full set of Resonator's on the hood, in place of the discs, Unfortunately rather an expensive indulgence.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting to note that Greg/UHA seems to favour a configuration of 3 X M'Pingo discs with an Single or Double Resonator, as fine tuning, on top of his electronics. A combination that I stumbled upon also during my own trial and error Mooking, I also rather like the efficacy of a full set of Resonator's on the hood, in place of the discs, Unfortunately rather an expensive indulgence.

Too expensive

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There is someone in the US who has 75k invested in his mook treatments. He must have used giants everywhere in place of mpingo discs

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Cunitgh, didn't you replace Stein signature footers with SM resonators? And the SRA?

Bonzo,
At that time I only have 2 sets of UDR. I tried the first set under the pre with very good results. I bought another UDR set and mooked both amps and kept Stein footers under the pre. In that config I can't use the SRA as they are precisely tuned for the amps in their native configuration with 4 feet etc.
I tried to sell the SRA without success until now.
After that I decided to put back SM under the pre and under the DAC. Under the latter they are less effective and I change the dac footers again for the Stein. As I don't want to lose too much on the SRA resell they came back also under the amps with good enough results as I am not frustrated to keep them.
Experimentation is still on the way with SM because when they were under the amps they rested on maple platforms and this is maybe a thing that could be bettered with another support.
I stopped for a while with SM because I am trying some speaker cables (Tellurium Q Silver... And Entreq Challenger, and waiting a try with Synergistic Research Element CTS) and just want to change one thing at a time.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Were you aware that 3/4 Karat Giant King Diamond Resonator's are available from the Mook representative in Germany? POA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Were you aware that 3/4 Karat Giant King Diamond Resonator's are available from the Mook representative in Germany? POA

You mean these are different from regular giants?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing