More mooks, awesome tweaks

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Would love it, but my tt can't support it. My lp sits on Delrin points that in effect hold the lp off the platter, and allow the lp to "breathe" as the stylus tracks the grooves. Abs no shackling of the vinyl. And boy, does it show.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Would love it, but my tt can't support it. My lp sits on Delrin points that in effect hold the lp off the platter, and allow the lp to "breathe" as the stylus tracks the grooves. Abs no shackling of the vinyl. And boy, does it show.

Interesting approach and gutted for you at the same time :p

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Martin is selling it at 1700 approx.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My apologies, I thought they were beyond hard to get. I'm sure I saw a stupid price on one of the German websites.
At that price, I'm sure Bill won't resist for long.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
My apologies, I thought they were beyond hard to get. I'm sure I saw a stupid price on one of the German websites.
At that price, I'm sure Bill won't resist for long.

I won't put up a fight for too long that I am sure...

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Spazmatron has nailed it--why didn't I think of that--

Silly Moi!

BD

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bruce, the naysayers know more than anything to stay away from this one. Even Blizzard won't put his rational helmet on and expect it to not get severely dented.
I've never done the whole clamp thing, and now having a tt where a clamp cannot be used, I'm out of this argument.
Just curious as to what the SM clamp is doing. Is it dealing w/damping vibes from the vinyl itself, or working at a more holistic level re vibrations from the whole analog rig? Or is it like having the equivalent of a Diamond Resonator for the lp itself?

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
For example ,you can't eliminate vibration from a Cd player, it is always going to vibrate, but you make sure that the housing doesn't store that vibration and allow it to increase .
Be718 is an expert, he posts on the measurement thread, if you have any vibration related questions he is the man to ask.

Keith.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, I think you'll find a few of us at least aren't binary in our thinking. We can get a lot from measurements, and a lot from listening. We don't have to pick just one way to make a decision.

***CUE THIS THREAD BECOMES !!!YET!!! ANOTHER OBJECTIVE VERSUS SUBJECTIVE FLAME OUT ***

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Keith, I think you'll find a few of us at least aren't binary in our thinking. We can get a lot from measurements, and a lot from listening. We don't have to pick just one way to make a decision.

***CUE THIS THREAD BECOMES !!!YET!!! ANOTHER OBJECTIVE VERSUS SUBJECTIVE FLAME OUT ***
I am sorry Marc damn science comes along and shatters another dream.
Keith.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I am sorry Marc damn science comes along and shatters another dream.
Keith.

Keith, Mooks sell like hotcakes, so I think the Mook guys are living the dream. Nothing shattered from their POV.
Science hasn't replaced religion or politics yet, so audio has a little while yet before the grey clipboard bearers like y'self :rolleyes: tell us "what's best".
Happy New Year to you Keith.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
umm.. lol
the TT weight looks intresting makes sense to me no hoo doo imo. have any of you mookinuts tried putting them ontop of your speakers as i recon this could be effective. its shape and design should draw nasty vibrations up into a less harmful zone off your record. speakers can benifit from this too.

Hi Spaz,

Yes - it is one of the first places for application of discs - they recommend triangular configuration on top of each speaker.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Spaz,

Yes - it is one of the first places for application of discs - they recommend triangular configuration on top of each speaker.

Speakers, components, and walls in the room

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Speakers, components, and walls in the room

Indeed. I actually preferred not to have the triangular config on each speaker instead opting for 1 disc on each of the three cabinets at the rear.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
was not talking about eliminating.. did i say that? as you say its about making sure the nasty is not stored or allowed to increase at undesirable freq and in undesirable locations.

Spaz - you should have a play with Mooks but be warned that you might want to spend :)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
yea i know from reading about them but my point still remains i think it would be worth while trying the tt thing on top of your speakers.

just a thought lol

Oh sorry - I misinterpreted you. Yes - if you had the funds to buy a giant resonator and stick it on each speaker (or the lp clamp), I reckon you would definitely hear the influence. Greg Baron has what looks like 2 giants screwed together as a massive resonator on his monoblocks so you could try that contraption on top.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing