More mooks, awesome tweaks

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Maybe you can clarify with him. It was a few months ago, so only from meory I remember it as being for MBL and/or tape deck.

I shall 'post up' should I recieve any further intelligences on the matter, altho I still find myself drawn toward the extant arrangements as shown In respect of the additional height involved and also perhaps in the coupling ?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Okay - very cool. I don't know if mook would be any better than those so maybe start with resonators - I would stick 3 giants under the ref 10 and get your socks knocked off.

Way ahead on that particular project Bill !

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I Mook'd the GG with resonators today:

image.jpg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Immediate thrills !!! or acclimatisation time required ?

Immediate. Soundstage even more liquid and removed from speakers. Fraction deeper too. Weirdly, it is more resolving of details. I need to play with the exact positioning but all good. I would like an mpingo platform to put them on like Greg. I guess it can't cost that much for a piece of mpingo about 40cm x 50cm x 2cm thick?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Immediate. Soundstage even more liquid and removed from speakers. Fraction deeper too. Weirdly, it is more resolving of details. I need to play with the exact positioning but all good. I would like an mpingo platform to put them on like Greg. I guess it can't cost that much for a piece of mpingo about 40cm x 50cm x 2cm thick?

Dude Bill ying has that mpingo specially sourced and he tunes it. Greg will be the first to tell you that he has experimented with normal mpingo and it sounds crap

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A

That's Grand:D , When you have the time, draw yourself at least three fingers of whatever floats your boat,and have a good old fiddle about! In my own space I have found through trial and error that the recommended position of the resonator's and orientation of the 'dot' are in practice of an almost infinite user preference.

Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Sweet! Are the ref 250s on the floor or on something?

Apologies Bill, I missed that question entirely, for the moment they are merely plonked on the parquet floor awaiting the fulmination of some sort of plan or another. I did have my previous stereo amplifier set up on Mook's, however it did not respond quite as markedly as Pre and Source, hence my cunning plan to experiment with Mooking under the transducers first.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Apologies Bill, I missed that question entirely, for the moment they are merely plonked on the parquet floor awaiting the fulmination of some sort of plan or another. I did have my previous stereo amplifier set up on Mook's, however it did not respond quite as markedly as Pre and Source, hence my cunning plan to experiment with Mooking under the transducers first.

Happy New Year, Roger. Is you parquet floor layed onto concrete or is is floating? Btw - I assume you also tried Stillpoints being that you have their rack? Stillpoints under my speakers is transformative.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Happy New Year, Roger. Is you parquet floor layed onto concrete or is is floating? Btw - I assume you also tried Stillpoints being that you have their rack? Stillpoints under my speakers is transformative.

And to you Bill, Unfortunately from an acoustics point, floating. Indeed I have experimented with the Stillpoints range and most effective they can be, I still utilize UltraSS as footers for the CLX's as I found that, for me, the 5's whilst very effective at de-coupling somewhat over dampened the 'life' out of the CLX's a touch. I find that Mook tuning the top of the CLX's base box produces an enhanced presentation over the UltraSS's alone ( as with the electronic equipment/ rack combination ) and I am intrigued as to whether utilizing Mook's as supports may prove even more efficacious.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
And to you Bill, Unfortunately from an acoustics point, floating. Indeed I have experimented with the Stillpoints range and most effective they can be, I still utilize UltraSS as footers for the CLX's as I found that, for me, the 5's whilst very effective at de-coupling somewhat over dampened the 'life' out of the CLX's a touch. I find that Mook tuning the top of the CLX's base box produces an enhanced presentation over the UltraSS's alone ( as with the electronic equipment/ rack combination ) and I am intrigued as to whether utilizing Mook's as supports may prove even more efficacious.

I am using the ultra ss's under my Focals - seems to work very effectively indeed. I am surprised that you did not get benefit from Mooking your old poweramp especially knowing it is on a floating floor too. Do you have plans for the 250's or will you leave them as is? Would think any isolation on them should help the system resolve more information.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I am using the ultra ss's under my Focals - seems to work very effectively indeed. I am surprised that you did not get benefit from Mooking your old poweramp especially knowing it is on a floating floor too. Do you have plans for the 250's or will you leave them as is? Would think any isolation on them should help the system resolve more information.

Oh they did produce a positive effect on the Ref150 Bill, just not as pronounced as on the Pre and Source. I do intend to Mook the 250's in the fullness of time once I have settled the speaker Mooking question.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The UK distri had told me that Source and Pre react much more than power amps to mooking. In those days he had Gamut power amps. I didn't find them as transformative under my AR Ref 110. But then once I had a cheap Crown amp 500w on demo. It sounded bad, and on SP sounded unlistenable, and totally transformed to AR Ref 110 levels with mooks on.

Last week when I was in Mumbai an audiophile Jazzhead introduced me to wanted to try the mooks, he had a Wilson Alexandria X2S2 with Vivaldi Stack and Dan Agostino pre and Momentums and Opus MM2 cabling. System sounded great. He had it on Finite Elemente rack with some Stillpoints on it. Since due to rack space issues, we could not put Shun Mooks under pre and source, we decided to put one giant under one Dan mono, and an ultra under another mono. Not ideal. Also the monos being rectangular and slim, bunch up the front two resonators, which is not ideal either. Yet the transformation was pretty significant.

So, do they make a difference under power amps? Depends on the power amp. I will not buy a component that cannot rest on Mooks, e.g. anything that is slim, or too small to rest on a proper triangle, or one that has too many feet/screws under to allow it to rest properly on a set.

The Jadis JA 100 did damn well despite being slim.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
You humped a load of M'pingo wood all the way to India!!! How did the Captain react when you wanted to Mook Up his aircraft?

Should experimentation with the 250's emulate that of the 150 I feel that I would not go any higher than Ultra.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yeah i actually on the visit to India wanted to compare my Tara Cobalt with Jazzhead's Stage 3. HE wanted to try out the mooks. So I put Shun Mooks on a plane, and tried them briefly under JH's and then his friend's. I have put up comments on JH's system in the SMT wings thread, that was the big takeaway for me.

It was tough because after I left his friend's place, was on my way to an aunt's in an auto, but they had blocked the roads due to Id celebrations, so I had to ditch the auto and walk over 30 mins with a bag loaded with mpingo wood. I think my muscles now have more tone, are better separated, and standing out

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Pray do enlighten what an "auto" is , to those not well versed ....:p

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Any Mookers out there with the sacred LP clamp?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing