More mooks, awesome tweaks

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I would quite concur with your considerations AB, and for my part would venture a little further in recommending the use of Shun Mook as footed support directly in contact with the equipment, the combination then situated upon an Stillpoints ESS rack.I find this combination to impart a Hybrid effect of the two technologies, the Shun Mook's imparting harmonic weight and body to the base and mid's, whilst retaining the leading edge clarity and dynamics of the Stillpoints.

Most interesting...i use a combination of Stillpoints with HRS or Artesania to achieve a similar effect of what you describe...the articulation of details by the Stillpoints coupled with the harmonic weight i find is added back in the mids and upper bass (piano attack) via HRS or Artesania.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Most interesting...i use a combination of Stillpoints with HRS or Artesania to achieve a similar effect of what you describe...the articulation of details by the Stillpoints coupled with the harmonic weight i find is added back in the mids and upper bass (piano attack) via HRS or Artesania.

I can see how that would work for you LL21, I find that there can be occasion where a blend of disparate technologies may well prove more efficacious in ones own system, than the sum of their parts alone.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Yes but are you using them as such, and are they making a diff?

Pretty much so yes, certainly worthy of experimentation Bonzo, if there is enough room available on top of your DAC with all those light bulbs sticking out!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Pretty much so yes, certainly worthy of experimentation Bonzo, if there is enough room available on top of your DAC with all those light bulbs sticking out!

Both awesome, and crazy! *bow*

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I have a set of (correctly matched, thanx Bonzo) GDRs under my 20" x 20" 200lb bpt, and a set of UDRs under my 16" x 14" 100lb vertically stacked 3 Entreq boxes. There is an amazing synergy going on w/my newly installed Sablon cable loom. Organic texture, holistic "rightness" and tonal density are all maxed to the full, and imho, in my system at least, I prefer this greatly to the more uber dynamic, leading edge enhanced presentation provided by Ultra5s, and to some extent Symposium Acoustics Rollerblocks. On the basis of this, I'm looking to Mook out the whole system, cdp, 2 chassis line stage, small psu's/phono. My dealer informs me my monoblocks chassis construction doesn't lend itself to Mooking.
As to putting Mooks on top of gear, this hobby is crazy enough w/out going down this particular pricey avenue :eek:!
Bonzo, this expenditure is going to delay any purchase of dsp, but you have only y'self to blame for bringing these miraculous black discs over here!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You mean the brown blocks. You are not using the black discs, unfortunately - Bill has sourced himself 42 of those :p

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep, the diamond resonators. Only 1 set of GDRs, 7-9 sets of UDRs, and poss up to 4 sets of MDRs to work twds :eek::p:eek::cool:

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Hello,
I bought a second hand second set of UDR that I tried under the amps, first on wooden amp stands with great results and after that under amps resting on the SRA Ohio XL2+.
In this case there was plenty of details and a bit enhanced high frequency that was a bit too much for my tastes. Unbalanced. So I put a set under the Raven AC and another set under the pre. This way music emerge in a way I never heard in my system before. Sorry for the lack of words but writing in english is not so easy for me.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok, thanks for proving Spiritofmusic's armchair hypothesis wrong, he thought turntables can't balance on mooks :D

If you think the high frequency is too enhanced, all you need to do is change the way the two mooks are pointing - you can have them pointing straight for more high frequency, and at 5 oclock and 7oclock for more laid back sound. Or any angle in between.

If you add to that the wooden blocks with 3 discs on each, like Audiophile Bill has done, it will take your system much further. You need to buy the blocks in pairs. You will see the pic on the first post of this thread.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Ok, thanks for proving Spiritofmusic's armchair hypothesis wrong, he thought turntables can't balance on mooks :D

If you think the high frequency is too enhanced, all you need to do is change the way the two mooks are pointing - you can have them pointing straight for more high frequency, and at 5 oclock and 7oclock for more laid back sound. Or any angle in between.

If you add to that the wooden blocks with 3 discs on each, like Audiophile Bill has done, it will take your system much further. You need to buy the blocks in pairs. You will see the pic on the first post of this thread.

Well SRA is made for fitting the amps with the native 4 feet. Not sure it is a good idea to. Change that with 3 feet instead of 4 that are heavier and not the same shape placed differently.
Maybe I should ask SRA to tune the platforms for the Shun Mooks.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello,
I bought a second hand second set of UDR that I tried under the amps, first on wooden amp stands with great results and after that under amps resting on the SRA Ohio XL2+.
In this case there was plenty of details and a bit enhanced high frequency that was a bit too much for my tastes. Unbalanced. So I put a set under the Raven AC and another set under the pre. This way music emerge in a way I never heard in my system before. Sorry for the lack of words but writing in english is not so easy for me.

HI can you please try them under your amp without the SRA, and let us know the difference between SRA and the mooks? When you use the mooks, please put two forward, one back, and then two back, one forward. I know it's a bit of a trouble, because to compare them with the SRA, you will have to first take one set out from your TT or pre and listen to the system that way. Then take the SRA out, put mooks under amp, and listen that way.

Feedback will be helpful

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
I tried them under the amps that were put on wooden platforms I bought a few years before buying SRA. These platforms are made with a aparticular spruce by "Musical Affairs", a dutch conceptor of speakers using the famed Phy HP.
The sound made the same ultra musical effect, and the room full of music it did when UDR were used under the pre. So I could ave choosen to keep it like that and sell the SRA. Maybe that's what I will do later when I czn buy another 2 set of UDR or GDRs for the amps.
When I tried UDR under amps with SRA stands I put 2 UDR in the back where are power and output transfos that are pretty heavy. i didn't try as you suggest 2 in the back and one forward. Do you really think it can make such a huge change ? At that time music sounds so good that Im not really willing to change things again and my back is happy for that.
i think tube amps are the most sensible piece to vibes and decided if I change the SRA it will be for the GDR. Ams rest on SRA but I changed the original 4 feet with more audiophile ones that are quite similar in diameter and it's fine as it is. Maybe I will try the Black Ravioli in near future. scott Berry (COmputer audio Design's conceptor) recommands them and I trust him. They are not expansive and under scored in the community.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I tried them under the amps that were put on wooden platforms I bought a few years before buying SRA. These platforms are made with a aparticular spruce by "Musical Affairs", a dutch conceptor of speakers using the famed Phy HP.
The sound made the same ultra musical effect, and the room full of music it did when UDR were used under the pre. So I could ave choosen to keep it like that and sell the SRA. Maybe that's what I will do later when I czn buy another 2 set of UDR or GDRs for the amps.
When I tried UDR under amps with SRA stands I put 2 UDR in the back where are power and output transfos that are pretty heavy. i didn't try as you suggest 2 in the back and one forward. Do you really think it can make such a huge change ? At that time music sounds so good that Im not really willing to change things again and my back is happy for that.
i think tube amps are the most sensible piece to vibes and decided if I change the SRA it will be for the GDR. Ams rest on SRA but I changed the original 4 feet with more audiophile ones that are quite similar in diameter and it's fine as it is. Maybe I will try the Black Ravioli in near future. scott Berry (COmputer audio Design's conceptor) recommands them and I trust him. They are not expansive and under scored in the community.

I used to use black ravioli. They have a softening impact on the music by losing leading edge definition. They are nowhere near either stillpoints or mooks IME.

If you want 3d liquidity and musicality, go for Mooks. If you want dynamics, speed, accuracy then go for stillpoints.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I used to use black ravioli. They have a softening impact on the music by losing leading edge definition. They are nowhere near either stillpoints or mooks IME.

If you want 3d liquidity and musicality, go for Mooks. If you want dynamics, speed, accuracy then go for stillpoints.

And the SPs enhance leading edge and bass, drying out midrange. As for speed, just turn the mooks in or out. You need to try some Giants, seriously. Bill Ying says they are 4 times the ultras

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
And the SPs enhance leading edge and bass, drying out midrange. As for speed, just turn the mooks in or out. You need to try some Giants, seriously. Bill Ying says they are 4 times the ultras

Ok thank you all. I just bought the new Black Night platter, Mat and bearing that are about to be delivered for fitting the Raven.Once I recover some money I think it isto be considered. Really

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Giants under 150lb bpt continue to do their thing. Recent Lundahl and Duelund changes to my Zus are creating a bit of a bass monster. Mooks keeping everything nice and bubbly, a real controlled reaction, in the best senses of the words. Amazing.

tarquineous

Jun 25, 2011

It's good to see people using the Shun Mook products. I've had the Diamond and Ultra Diamond Resonators for about ten years now. Their popularity has increased and decreased over those years, due to advertising and reviews. Their effectiveness has not. They are very good depending on the component, and they can work in synergy with other resonant control products, like some others have mentioned.

I've had best results with the UDRs under my preamp, followed by other analog components. I do normally prefer harder feet such as the metal Nordost under CD players. Under an earlier player, a Denon, I actually preferred Cardas wood blocks. The platform under the feet is nearly just as important. Icing on the cake is the cone cups under the spike, which can make a difference for fine tuning. I've found the brass ones from Audiopoints work very well with the Diamond and Ultra Diamond Resonators. Also have used Isoclean support cups with good results. This can get expensive. Harmonix makes a few very pricey ones.

It's fun!

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
I thought to see on a photo taken in an audio show that Jeff Catalano has some Shun Mooks under the TW Raven motor (the 3 motors in a round shpae motor) and asked hom to confirm that. He said he didn't, in that precise location, use SM but he used either Mpingos or the ebony discs that go under the GDRs and works great.
Maybe this can be an easy way to enter Shun Mook territory without ruining itself. i will try that soon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing