More mooks, awesome tweaks

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bill the room treatment works great at your place. It made a distance when I had Logan's but did not with Verity though I have limited areas to try

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Are you guys turning the "dot" to ascertain the best position on the Mook "Clock"for each foot?

The only trouble with the Big Feet is the proximity of Nut heads under some chassis -- not not Nutjobs--thats us!:D

Mooker over and out:eek:

BruceD

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Are you guys turning the "dot" to ascertain the best position on the Mook "Clock"for each foot?

The only trouble with the Big Feet is the proximity of Nut heads under some chassis -- not not Nutjobs--thats us!:D

Mooker over and out:eek:

BruceD

Yep

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi Mookers,

So I have been sans system since October and only set it back up last week. I have been reassembling everything slowly and hadn't yet got the Mooks out.

Today I decided to add some to the system to see what is what and check my previous beliefs. So first up was my Analog Domain integrated amplifier. I added my ultra diamonds as per normal and replayed the same tracks and back came some musical magic. The bass was deeper and with more texture and the stage dropped back. The timbre of instruments and authenticity of voices improved by enough of a margin to make me smile. By comparison, I took them out and inserted stillpoints in. The stillpoints provided a cleaner sound but tilted upwards the whole frequency response losing the bass texture and solidity. Amazing when you think about it as the Analog Domain is a very hefty chassis and a ss component so wouldn't necessarily assume it to be impacted like this. Anyway - Stillpoints quickly removed as music was lost by comparison and back to Mooks.

I then placed Mook discs on GG chassis, AD amp, power supply to Aries and Aries and this took this system up another notch again mainly in musicality.

Now the one thing that some people are more sceptical about is room tuning - I am not sure even Ked totally buys into this and he is a firm Mooker. Anyway I placed discs at the usual spots as suggested on the site and it is amazing how the stage improves in depth and the imaging improves - really baffles me tbh. Any way if you own Mooks you really need to try the room tuning. If you don't trust me, check out Greg Beron's advice and listening room.

Although I am not employing it at the moment, I have played with the SM sextet for a very long time (using various SM devices for at least fifteen years). The (positive) effects of this six wooden floorstanders with each 2x3 ebony wood devices, such as a deeper soundstage and a more natural or 'human' sound, are very clearly noticeble. However, placement is important because it can also effect the sound in a negative way.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Although I am not employing it at the moment, I have played with the SM sextet for a very long time (using various SM devices for at least fifteen years). The (positive) effects of this six wooden floorstanders with each 2x3 ebony wood devices, such as a deeper soundstage and a more natural ir 'human' sound, are very clearly noticeble. However, placement is important because it can also effect the sound in a negative way.

I personally think that when one's system is up, Bill Ying should be flown down to adjust these things.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I personally think that when one's system is up, Bill Ying should be flown down to adjust these things.

Well, SHun Mook Bill might do it even better but some experimentation clearly shows which way to go with these devices and they attribute in a significant way to the sound quality.

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com

Audiocrack said in his post above: Although I am not employing it at the moment, I have played with the SM sextet for a very long time (using various SM devices for at least fifteen years). The (positive) effects of this six wooden floorstanders with each 2x3 ebony wood devices, such as a deeper soundstage and a more natural or 'human' sound, are very clearly noticeble. However, placement is important because it can also effect the sound in a negative way.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

At T.H.E. Show Newport a few years ago Bill Ying came with two friends and set up our room for us with lots of SM goodies. It was great to hang out with Bill for a few days and also get some first hand info from "the" man, I learned allot over the 4 days. We had a terrible room, it had the thickest foam and cloth padded walls on two sides I have ever experienced, just sucked the sound and especially the bass outta the room.

Without Bills help it certainly would have been a disaster!
11:30 at night during the UHA After Hours Analog Tape Event at the show.
You can see some of the SM devices.
1a4ee8ee0.jpg

As audiocrack said set up is very important with SM because the devices actually do something to the sound, so how one uses them is important.

Who knows why pictures turn this way....
IMG_1490.JPG

Bill made this device for me that I have used in many positions on equipment and in the room.
I have found an interesting use of it, I sit it on the floor in front of me centered between the speakers. I then move it forward or back with my feet and the soundstage actually moves forward or back depending on the position. Forward toward the speakers moves the soundstage back, away from the speakers moves it forward.
I can demonstrate this to anyone who wants to come by for a demo.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow wow....look at that crowd!

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
Has anyone here tried the giant power tube resonators? Thanks in advance.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Giant Mooks under the Zanden 9600 .. sound stage explodes in all directions, midbass fullness with finely rendered Harmonic shading. For the Giants , gear to be preferably heavier than 20kgs for full impact, heavier the better. My fav footers for sure...

Attachments

• 20200712_124850.jpg
    20200712_124850.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: nirodha and bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Giant Mooks under the Zanden 9600 .. sound stage explodes in all directions, midbass fullness with finely rendered Harmonic shading. For the Giants , gear to be preferably heavier than 20kgs for full impact, heavier the better. My fav footers for sure...

That's why they are called Magic Mooks, rest are foo footers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing