Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: More mooks, awesome tweaks

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purite Audio View Post
    Aesthetics are personal but the quality of parts inside these will never be found in a commercially produced amplifier, just too expensive.
    Keith.
    Possibly a commercially produced class D could be better

My Nat dealer was over y'day. When we got past the aborted Magnetostat demo, we got around to talking Mooks. Fascinatingly, he pretty much confirmed Audiophile Bill's take on the Tuning Discs and the potentially phenomenal effect they have on the acoustic. I truly cannot get my head around this, but my curiosity will have to be satisfied at some stage.
    Trans Fi Salvation tt & Terminator arm/Soundsmith Straingauge SG200 cart w.Red Wine batt psu/Eera Tentation cdp/Nat Audio Utopia line stage & SE2SE SET monos w.NOS '48 GE tubes/Zu Definitions 4 spkrs w.Duelund caps & Lundahl transformers/Symposium Isis & Rollerblocks isolation/Sablon Reservas ic's, sc's & pc's/Westwick 8kVA balanced pwr, Oyaides dedicated lines w.Furutech US sockets/Entreq Silver Tellus & Olympus Minimus ground boxes, Silver Cleanus passive filter, Apollo ground leads

The NAT AA room is full off mooks, including the wooden blocks and mpingo discs.

Addicted to Best!
    Right - a tip of the hat to our very own Harlequin of this parish. I noticed his upside down use of resonators on the classis and noted that Greg Baron is also a fan of this approach. I removed my ultras from the GG and placed one on each Krell and one on the GG upside down. They are extremely effective used in this manner and bring the same benefits as the discs on the chassis only that the effecte is increased a lot. I got a fair amount more body and weight to instruments and orchestra today with this method.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiophile Bill View Post
    Right - a tip of the hat to our very own Harlequin of this parish. I noticed his upside down use of resonators on the classis and noted that Greg Baron is also a fan of this approach. I removed my ultras from the GG and placed one on each Krell and one on the GG upside down. They are extremely effective used in this manner and bring the same benefits as the discs on the chassis only that the effecte is increased a lot. I got a fair amount more body and weight to instruments and orchestra today with this method.
    Which way is better? Under GG or above GG?

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by adyc View Post
    Which way is better? Under GG or above GG?
    Hi,

What I can say at this early juncture is that removing the 3 ultras from under the GG and placing 1 on each Krell monoblock and one on the GG along with the other Mooks (3 discs and tube resonators) brings a larger macro benefit than 3 under GG. The Krells get a real lift. I should probably try 3 resonators on top of the GG to see whether they are better that way up or normal. Mad stuff.

Hi,

What I can say at this early juncture is that removing the 3 ultras from under the GG and placing 1 on each Krell monoblock and one on the GG along with the other Mooks (3 discs and tube resonators) brings a larger macro benefit than 3 under GG. The Krells get a real lift. I should probably try 3 resonators on top of the GG to see whether they are better that way up or normal. Mad stuff.
    Way to go Bill bogo Shun Mook is way too conservative!

As mentioned in my answer to Ron a while ago I use in both my systems three SH feet upside down on my Kondo preamps for quite a while and I would not do this if it were not very effective. A friend of mine has been doing this for ages putting them on his CAT jl 1 power amps, albeit not three per amp of course.

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiocrack View Post
    As mentioned in my answer to Ron a while ago I use in both my systems three SH feet upside down on my Kondo preamps for quite a while and I would not do this if it were not very effective. A friend of mine has been doing this for ages putting them on his CAT jl 1 power amps, albeit not three per amp of course.
    Ah - nice one, Rudolph. Then I am slow to the party but have arrived at last

Ah - nice one, Rudolph. Then I am slow to the party but have arrived at last
    It was not my intention at all to call you slow or something, Bill. Just wanted to add (once more) that placing SM feet on top of various audio components can be very effective indeed. That said, imo we should not look upon the SM devices as a 'panacee' for all possible audio issues. They are tweaks and as with all tweaks it is a matter of trial and error to find out whether they are effective or not in certain circumstances.

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast