More mooks, awesome tweaks

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello
It seems there are some for sale on audiomarkt.de and in Netherlands. How to be sure they are not fake ?

Not sure, best to call up the guy, have a chat. You will know if he is genuine or a fraudster. If he sounds genuine buy them and take the chance.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hello
It seems there are some for sale on audiomarkt.de and in Netherlands. How to be sure they are not fake ?

Ask him for references. I did that my very first Audiogon buy...and seller referred me to one of the bigger audio dealers in Seattle. (I'm not from Seattle, but at least this was a pretty big dealership so it gave me comfort.) Owner of the dealer personally confirmed to me the seller was a great client, honest and a personal friend. That was a very big relief, and the deal went forward.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Ask him for references. I did that my very first Audiogon buy...and seller referred me to one of the bigger audio dealers in Seattle. (I'm not from Seattle, but at least this was a pretty big dealership so it gave me comfort.) Owner of the dealer personally confirmed to me the seller was a great client, honest and a personal friend. That was a very big relief, and the deal went forward.

Difficult to be in touch : when I asked for the pricelist it is the Swiss importer that answered. I asked to Miss Sutter and the answer is not so clear for distincting fakes.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Difficult to be in touch : when I asked for the pricelist it is the Swiss importer that answered. I asked to Miss Sutter and the answer is not so clear for distincting fakes.

What i meant was ask to the Seller for professionals in the audio business with a good reputation who can confirm to you this seller is an honest person. That way, you can at least be more comfortable the vendor is honest.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
I bought a set of Ultra Diamond Resonator and placed them. Under the pre. Wossshh they did a Dramatic diference with the precedent feet ! How can I say because my english vocabulary is a bit limited I can summarise as stupidly as much more "musical" music reproduction. More organic and more emotionnally involving. The impression of being more in contact with the musician. The impression for me to be more part of the whole event.
I listened to some well known records and I never heard music this good and involving in my system until now. Didn.t even imagined I could best my system in such a way only woth 3 pieces of wood. It's a kind of magic.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It's by far the best tweak that I or some of my friends who have demoed it know, and one of them is a reviewer who does nothing but demo tweaks all days long. I had sent him my ultras and he went crazy.

I hope you have followed the instructions properly. Pointed them at the 6, 5, and 7 clock. By changing the direction clockwise or anti clockwise of the front two, you can make out more focused or laid back. By widening the triangle you can increase sound stage. Make sure the wood is not under one of the screws of the chassis

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I bought a set of Ultra Diamond Resonator and placed them. Under the pre. Wossshh they did a Dramatic diference with the precedent feet ! How can I say because my english vocabulary is a bit limited I can summarise as stupidly as much more "musical" music reproduction. More organic and more emotionnally involving. The impression of being more in contact with the musician. The impression for me to be more part of the whole event.
I listened to some well known records and I never heard music this good and involving in my system until now. Didn.t even imagined I could best my system in such a way only woth 3 pieces of wood. It's a kind of magic.

Felicitations! Sounds amazing. In my own case, this increased level of 'connection' with the music has been made possible with similar isolation, grounding...which get rid of 'dirt, distortion' in the music. And what i realize is that the most tangible way i can hear this (and know that i am not crazy) is to close the doors to the living room and go to the next room and listen through the wall. Before, it was muffled without much clarity in voices/words, and the bass was muddy. Now, i can hear every lyric clearly, and the bass is still sharp, tight and defined. I happened to do this when i went to get something and left the door to the living room closed, and was really pleasantly surprised to discover such a different but 'black and white' example to me that the system really has improved over the years...

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Yes you tell it better than me. I just ordered another set of used UDR in germany. Where do you think I should try it first ? I also surprise myself thinking about the Giant Resonators, something I couldn't imagine before hearing to what UDR are capable of.... Did I say crazy ? Does someone here already expreienced with Giant vs Ultras ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes you tell it better than me. I just ordered another set of used UDR in germany. Where do you think I should try it first ? I also surprise myself thinking about the Giant Resonators, something I couldn't imagine before hearing to what UDR are capable of.... Did I say crazy ? Does someone here already expreienced with Giant vs Ultras ?

Interesting question...i personally found (very much to my surprise) that the Stillpoints recommendation of focusing BACKWARDS in the chain works best. So i started with the speakers, then the power amps/conditioner, then preamp and eventually found only a little benefit by putting isolation under my transport.

I have never tried Mooks, but certainly appreciated what great isolation has done for my system. Enjoy! Good luck and so let us know how it goes when your next set arrives, and you have installed it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Use it under your cdp/dac and pre. I have both ultra and giants. Use the giant only if your component is either heavy, like a power amp, or with a big square area. What you don't want to do is keep the giant resonators bunched up together under a small component because that will reduce sound stage. The triangle should be wide enough.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Spirit of music tried them under his power transformer and entreq and liked them

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Great news with your Mooks cuntigh. I received 14 more discs today which have expanded my soundstage again.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
They were a revelation under my b.p.t. and Entreq grounding. My take is that unlike Stillpoints, which accentuate the leading edge of notes, the Mooks accentuate the body of the note, enhancing tone. They do amazing things w/basslines. All holistic, making each note more "together", not a forensic enhancement as I found Stillpoints to bring my sound.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
They were a revelation under my b.p.t. and Entreq grounding. My take is that unlike Stillpoints, which accentuate the leading edge of notes, the Mooks accentuate the body of the note, enhancing tone. They do amazing things w/basslines. All holistic, making each note more "together", not a forensic enhancement as I found Stillpoints to bring my sound.

Very nicely put there Spirit. I own both and agree entirely. That said, Stillpoints are invaluable under my big Focal Maestros and I have had great success this weekend with ultra 5s under my Kuzma reference turntable. The kuzma took on a lot of extra dynamics and clarity across the spectrum without any compromise - well pleased.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Very nicely put there Spirit. I own both and agree entirely. That said, Stillpoints are invaluable under my big Focal Maestros and I have had great success this weekend with ultra 5s under my Kuzma reference turntable. The kuzma took on a lot of extra dynamics and clarity across the spectrum without any compromise - well pleased.

Have you tried mooks under TT, or vibraplane like active control?

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
I wonder if placing UDR under my amps is wise (when I receive my second set)because my amps are put on SRA Ohio platforms on their own feet. It seems these platforms are tweaked for the precise weight balance of the amp, and acording to their own feet design, so not sure. Did somebody here has had or geard of such a trial ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I wonder if placing UDR under my amps is wise (when I receive my second set)because my amps are put on SRA Ohio platforms on their own feet. It seems these platforms are tweaked for the precise weight balance of the amp, and acording to their own feet design, so not sure. Did somebody here has had or geard of such a trial ?

The benefit will probably be less. I do know one guy who has the SRA rack who bought the mooks, and prefers it on his rack, but I have had no further contact with him to know more. Try it under your entreq, power transformer, and dac. Since your CAD is a light dac, you can get away with the Mini Diamond resonators, though you will probably not find them used.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Have you tried mooks under TT, or vibraplane like active control?

No on both accounts. I will be trying the ultra diamonds in a couple of weeks as I have another set arriving. Not tried vibraphone or anything like that - I am sure that active is the way to go but costs a lot.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
I tried the Ultra Diamond yesterday under the DAC. Good but far less dramatic effect than under the pre. I had to try different places for best effect, but nothing as "game changer " as what I heard when I placed 3 UDR under the Pre. Can't try them under the S. Tellus because there is not enough room betwen shelves. I dislike to serve more one source than the other and would prefer find a place where they are usefull for all my system
I will try to put something heavy on the DAC for trying to enhance the effect. Maybe the best place could be under the 26kg amps but they are sitting under SRA Ohio.
Any opinion here ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing