More mooks, awesome tweaks

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Keith,

I don't know David Wright or Lee - please enlighten me? What do you know?

Cheers
He is a good designer, also the man who fixes the border patrol amps, I think

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Lee is I believe a graphic designer by trade, and I believe he designed Kevin Scott's website, David services Kondo for Kevin I suspect that's how they met.
Lee had some ideas about some electronics and asked David to make them work.
David really knows his stuff ,designing for as Ked says ,Border Patrol, ANUK amongst lots of others, he designed some cost no object hybrid amps for me and they are superb.
However I don't believe David has anything to do with Lee's other projects, which are aimed squarely at the HK market.
Keith.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Lee is I believe a graphic designer by trade, and I believe he designed Kevin Scott's website, David services Kondo for Kevin I suspect that's how they met.
Lee had some ideas about some electronics and asked David to make them work.
David really knows his stuff ,designing for as Ked says ,Border Patrol, ANUK amongst lots of others, he designed some cost no object hybrid amps for me and they are superb.
However I don't believe David has anything to do with Lee's other projects, which are aimed squarely at the HK market.
Keith.

Thanks, Keith. What are these hybrids? Any specs and piccies. Dalby certainly looks beautifully designed.

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Thanks, Keith. What are these hybrids? Any specs and piccies. Dalby certainly looks beautifully designed.
Bill Hi, yes these are they,

They are massive, Hitachi VFets on the output, Bendix signal valve Dueland silver caps, their output doubles so they can drive anything.
Keith.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bill Hi, yes these are they,

They are massive, Hitachi VFets on the output, Bendix signal valve Dueland silver caps, their output doubles so they can drive anything.
Keith.

Very nice, Keith. Wow. What do you use these for - the Liszts? Are these your own personal commission then?

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Bill yes ,we were. importing 'those' valve amplifiers at the time, David was repairing them , one day I asked him if we could make something without a financial constraint, all of David's previous commissions up to that point had been built to a price.
Building anything in small quantities is really tough though, fabricators don't really want small runs.
Anyhoo way of topic.
Keith

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) But you are complete right, they are tweaks and you should only investigate them after you have your system up and running. Only after getting to know your audio system inside out you can really appreciate what the SM devices are actually doing.

Some people take a similar approach for speaker placement and room treatments. They advise that, if possible, room treatments should be put in place only after we have found the best positions for the speakers and the listening chair. I have found that after I built the permanent bass traps and diffusors at the front wall of my room, positioning speakers become more difficult and time consuming - no more that immediate comforting feeling that we found THE position and the other alternative positions were much poorer sounding.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
When I was at Keith's recently, he wasn't able to use these hybrids w/the Liszts. Any luck since? I'd REALLY like to hear the them pwrd by these, to beat another subject to death, I really felt the Liszts didn't fulfill their potential w/the Molas. Just MHO.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Aesthetics are personal but the quality of parts inside these will never be found in a commercially produced amplifier, just too expensive.
Keith.

Possibly a commercially produced class D could be better

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My Nat dealer was over y'day. When we got past the aborted Magnetostat demo, we got around to talking Mooks. Fascinatingly, he pretty much confirmed Audiophile Bill's take on the Tuning Discs and the potentially phenomenal effect they have on the acoustic. I truly cannot get my head around this, but my curiosity will have to be satisfied at some stage.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The NAT AA room is full off mooks, including the wooden blocks and mpingo discs.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Right - a tip of the hat to our very own Harlequin of this parish. I noticed his upside down use of resonators on the classis and noted that Greg Baron is also a fan of this approach. I removed my ultras from the GG and placed one on each Krell and one on the GG upside down. They are extremely effective used in this manner and bring the same benefits as the discs on the chassis only that the effecte is increased a lot. I got a fair amount more body and weight to instruments and orchestra today with this method.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Right - a tip of the hat to our very own Harlequin of this parish. I noticed his upside down use of resonators on the classis and noted that Greg Baron is also a fan of this approach. I removed my ultras from the GG and placed one on each Krell and one on the GG upside down. They are extremely effective used in this manner and bring the same benefits as the discs on the chassis only that the effecte is increased a lot. I got a fair amount more body and weight to instruments and orchestra today with this method.

Which way is better? Under GG or above GG?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Which way is better? Under GG or above GG?

Hi,

What I can say at this early juncture is that removing the 3 ultras from under the GG and placing 1 on each Krell monoblock and one on the GG along with the other Mooks (3 discs and tube resonators) brings a larger macro benefit than 3 under GG. The Krells get a real lift. I should probably try 3 resonators on top of the GG to see whether they are better that way up or normal. Mad stuff.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Hi,

What I can say at this early juncture is that removing the 3 ultras from under the GG and placing 1 on each Krell monoblock and one on the GG along with the other Mooks (3 discs and tube resonators) brings a larger macro benefit than 3 under GG. The Krells get a real lift. I should probably try 3 resonators on top of the GG to see whether they are better that way up or normal. Mad stuff.

Way to go Bill :cool: bogo Shun Mook is way too conservative!

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

As mentioned in my answer to Ron a while ago I use in both my systems three SH feet upside down on my Kondo preamps for quite a while and I would not do this if it were not very effective. A friend of mine has been doing this for ages putting them on his CAT jl 1 power amps, albeit not three per amp of course.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
As mentioned in my answer to Ron a while ago I use in both my systems three SH feet upside down on my Kondo preamps for quite a while and I would not do this if it were not very effective. A friend of mine has been doing this for ages putting them on his CAT jl 1 power amps, albeit not three per amp of course.

Ah - nice one, Rudolph. Then I am slow to the party but have arrived at last ;)

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Ah - nice one, Rudolph. Then I am slow to the party but have arrived at last ;)

It was not my intention at all to call you slow or something, Bill. Just wanted to add (once more) that placing SM feet on top of various audio components can be very effective indeed. That said, imo we should not look upon the SM devices as a 'panacee' for all possible audio issues. They are tweaks and as with all tweaks it is a matter of trial and error to find out whether they are effective or not in certain circumstances.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing