More mooks, awesome tweaks

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, the NATs SE2SEs are narrow and deep, so may well suit Ultras ergonomically
Utopia linestage and Eera cdp are more standard dimensions, if a little smaller than the Magnetostat, so Giants may be ok
The Giants I bought from you worked just fine under my Eera

Btw, have you seen the price spike on Mooks?
Ultras are now Giants' price from a while ago, and Giants are in excess of £2500
Go Brexit, go!
Harlequin's advice to do Giants on source/linestage, and Ultras the rest gets no financial argument from me
Indeed, I'm minded to allow my current system to settle in the new space w no component changes at all, get to know the room, max out the acoustics w my GIKs, and add to these w diffusors if advantageous, and max tonality and the "Wood" of the sound by progressively Mooking each component in time
This will mean starting w my existing Giants under the Utopia linestage, add Giants or Ultras to the Eera cdp, thence NATs monoblocks, bpt, Entreqs

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think you should buy one set of ultra, and then compare your giant and the ultra on the pre and the CDP. I think given the sizes (there will be feet and screws underneath) they might struggle to accomodate the Giants. Not that you need to figure it out now. Once you compare the ultra and the giant, you will know immediately. And for the one that doesn't work, you will have room for it under some other component, so you won't lose any money. But better to buy one ultra and move it around to know how many giants and ultras you need.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Good advice Ked
Now all I need is the cash
I've sunk about £35k/$50k into my new space, so I'm a tad short of funds atm
Anyhow, Ultras v Giants should be fascinating

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Just acquired a few older pre owned Super's, interestingly the quality of the M'pingo is exceptional with regard to weight and perceived density as compared to some new production Ultra's , we shall see!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just acquired a few older pre owned Super's, interestingly the quality of the M'pingo is exceptional with regard to weight and perceived density as compared to some new production Ultra's , we shall see!

I.have been searching for Supers. Jealous you got them.

I think he tuned the weight, so new ones are lighter

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I think he tuned the weight, so new ones are lighter

Sorry about that bonzo :D

My understanding also, May well prove to be an interesting Older rather dense Super's Vs Lighter new production Ultra's shoot out.

I acquired them with the Ref250's in mind however I might even try them under the CLX's .

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I just received an interesting PM from a new member who recommended sitting ones Mooked equipment upon glass rather than wood, interestingly for the same reasoning I like the hybrid effect of Mook's upon a Stillpoint rack.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Please tell me you are using them more than as luxury dampers

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Please tell me you are using them more than as luxury dampers

Have so many I don't know where to put them all ;)
Whilst I do employ a set of GDR's on case tuning duties, the image was taken as a reference to folks re relative size of the DR's as well as the organic variation in the M'Pingo timber itself.

image.jpg

Time to dust methinks !

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
I finally have everything up on Mookies, except my pre is on Dalby's, and love difference they have made on each piece.

Attachments

• IMG_3862.JPG
    IMG_3862.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 421

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Very nice indeed Harry, those Dalby's are Ferociously Expensive Foo :D

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Harry, what's the rest of your system? And what difference do you find between the mooks and the Dalby?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Mookers,

So I have been sans system since October and only set it back up last week. I have been reassembling everything slowly and hadn't yet got the Mooks out.

Today I decided to add some to the system to see what is what and check my previous beliefs. So first up was my Analog Domain integrated amplifier. I added my ultra diamonds as per normal and replayed the same tracks and back came some musical magic. The bass was deeper and with more texture and the stage dropped back. The timbre of instruments and authenticity of voices improved by enough of a margin to make me smile. By comparison, I took them out and inserted stillpoints in. The stillpoints provided a cleaner sound but tilted upwards the whole frequency response losing the bass texture and solidity. Amazing when you think about it as the Analog Domain is a very hefty chassis and a ss component so wouldn't necessarily assume it to be impacted like this. Anyway - Stillpoints quickly removed as music was lost by comparison and back to Mooks.

I then placed Mook discs on GG chassis, AD amp, power supply to Aries and Aries and this took this system up another notch again mainly in musicality.

Now the one thing that some people are more sceptical about is room tuning - I am not sure even Ked totally buys into this and he is a firm Mooker. Anyway I placed discs at the usual spots as suggested on the site and it is amazing how the stage improves in depth and the imaging improves - really baffles me tbh. Any way if you own Mooks you really need to try the room tuning. If you don't trust me, check out Greg Beron's advice and listening room.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am a huge fan of Greg's but I am skeptical about being Mooked! :)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Best thing is - I mook'd my new bifold window and my Mrs did not see (yet) :cool:

IMG_2912.JPG

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am a huge fan of Greg's but I am skeptical about being Mooked! :)

Based on what. Check out Siddh on audionirvana, he has CMS, mooks, dalby, everything. It is actually wrote easy to hear the difference, just like glass...this is aged and ruined ebony...Not new, the same thing is done with violins and instruments...they are tinged with wood, like pernambuco, ebony, rosewood etc...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing