More mooks, awesome tweaks

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I'm glad you heard an improvement, but I remain extremely sceptical about these types of tweaks. The whole idea of a piece of wood and some rubber discs (or whatever that material is) having magical properties just doesn't sit well with me.

JV, it's always healthy to remain skeptical, especially when it comes to high-end audio.

But there's nothing magical to it. In fact, these gents barely scratched the surface of this little experiment. In essence, what they accomplished with this tiny example of mass loading was help minimize the vibrations captured at the top plate of each amp. Top plates are generally thin stamped sheet metal or thin aluminum plates and often times secured by only a few screws to more rigid parts. This make the top plates among the most easily excitable component parts by vibrations. In fact, they are often times so easily excited, that they can vibration in sympathy with the air-borne and internally-generated (power supplies, motors, etc) vibrations already captured at the chassis. Thus taking a bad situation and making it even worse if that's possible.

Now in their example, they're only using a few pounds of mass-loading near the front or back ends and I'd guess that their best benefits would occur with these tiny weights smack dab in the middle. Perhaps in this case they realize more performance benefits if the mass-loading is closer to the vibrating power supply within, which may be toward the front or rear.

But if they swapped these tiny weights out and installed say 50 or 100 lbs. weights the system would be singing an entirely new song altogether. But that also would depend on the racks / stands underneath and what type of "footers" they're using sandwiched between the amps bottom plates and the stand.

If per chance they're using hard metal objects as footers / conductors between the bottom plate and the amp stands, and the amp stands are sufficiently rigid and they are locked into the sub-flooring, then mass-loading can also serve the dual purpose of also creating an inferior or superior mechanical conduit that allows mechanical vibrations previously trapped within the component chassis and forced to fully dissipate within the chassis, to now escape into the stand and hopefully into the sub-flooring before releasing their energy. Rather than inside the component. In any case, even a few measly pounds of mass loading is usually better for either purpose than no mass-loading at all.

Below is a picture of some early R&D I was doing about this subject back in 2007. Over the course of maybe 6 months I installed just a few pounds of scrap metal at a time and waited, then installed a few more pounds and waited, etc. and this went on until the entire top plates' real estate space was completely saturated. At which point I had to go to extremes and then far greater extremes to keep the experiment going.

Why did I wait each time after adding a few pounds to each top plate? Because in my config, with the materials I was using at the time there was a mechanical settling in period of roughly 53 hours (give or take 30 minutes) before I'd hear a sonic improvement.
Early R and D med.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The mpingo discs that go under GDR are different from actual mpingo discs which are thicker. Audiophile Bill has 42 of those. You can pick them up used around 30 - 35 Euro per disc. You can place them in multiple locations and try them out. They do very different things compared to resonators. And work best in triplets.

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hello Fellow Mookers,

Please see latest video from Peter B on the United Home Audio show room. This guy has Mook'd the whole place - worse than me! Some really cool additional products that he has commissioned - check the custom footers for the mbl and mpingo platform, the massive disc resonator on the monoblocks, the mpingo tuning panels on the tape deck and heads, and the funniest ever - a lone disc on top of the mbl tweeter. I bet that system sounds sweet as.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fr8O_jZhpl4&list=TLLx9lymRjYWwzMTEyMjAxNQ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello Fellow Mookers,

Please see latest video from Peter B on the United Home Audio show room. This guy has Mook'd the whole place - worse than me! Some really cool additional products that he has commissioned - check the custom footers for the mbl and mpingo platform, the massive disc resonator on the monoblocks, the mpingo tuning panels on the tape deck and heads, and the funniest ever - a lone disc on top of the mbl tweeter. I bet that system sounds sweet as.

http://unitedhomeaudio.com/shun_mook_for_the_uha_tape_d.htm

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hello Fellow Mookers,

Gosh Bill, that was truly fascinating. I have to say the challenging top end of the MBLs that has been commented upon by many, came thru loud and clear on that clip.
It looks like Greg has taken the baton from you as Mook Man Of the Year.
My next area of major expenditure is going to be putting Mook Diamond Resonators under all my gear (currently a set of Giants under my balanced transformer), to incl cdp, linestage, 2 x monos, 3 x Entreq boxes.
Maybe the room tuning discs after.
I'll really be studying this video to see where the Mook fever can drive one to.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
One of 2016's Infeasible plans (To Irke the Naysayers) Is to experiment with Mook's under the CLX Anniversary's, and have been mulling over a similar arrangment to that featured in the UHA Vid.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Gosh Bill, that was truly fascinating. I have to say the challenging top end of the MBLs that has been commented upon by many, came thru loud and clear on that clip.
It looks like Greg has taken the baton from you as Mook Man Of the Year.
My next area of major expenditure is going to be putting Mook Diamond Resonators under all my gear (currently a set of Giants under my balanced transformer), to incl cdp, linestage, 2 x monos, 3 x Entreq boxes.
Maybe the room tuning discs after.
I'll really be studying this video to see where the Mook fever can drive one to.

Having messed about with the Mooks, I personally would spend first on a sextet of room tuning discs. You will be quite shocked.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
One of 2016's Infeasible plans (To Irke the Naysayers) Is to experiment with Mook's under the CLX Anniversary's, and have been mulling over a similar arrangment to that featured in the UHA Vid.

Hi Roger,

Have you tuned the room up with Mooks yet? There is no doubt the diamond resonators under components are wonderful but room tuning discs are really something.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Greg has a lot of his mooks specially designed for him by Bill Ying. There are two Giants attached to each other, facing each other, with one having a pin on top to attach itself to the MBL (or the tape deck), so that the component can stand itself on the flat surface of the second attached resonator. AFAIK Greg is the only one using the resonators as feet for speakers. He also puts them inside components whenever there is free space.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Having messed about with the Mooks, I personally would spend first on a sextet of room tuning discs. You will be quite shocked.

Actually I would start with a mix of both. It is not necessary to do one thing first and then the next thing, you get more mileage doing a bit of both. Some people prefer OCDing over a maxout before moving on to the next project. for example, you should get the clamp ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Greg of Gpoint Lampi used to deal Ziplex. They are good but no mooks. He will be the first to admit that.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Greg has a lot of his mooks specially designed for him by Bill Ying. There are two Giants attached to each other, facing each other, with one having a pin on top to attach itself to the MBL

To my eyes, the Vid appears to show Single GDR reservoir's in contact with the underside of the MBL's, the spikes look to be in direct contact with the large custom M'Pingo base plates.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
To my eyes, the Vid appears to show Single GDR reservoir's in contact with the underside of the MBL's, the spikes look to be in direct contact with the large custom M'Pingo base plates.

See the link I posted in reply to Bill's video. I also spoke to him about this over phone a few months ago.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Greg of Gpoint Lampi used to deal Ziplex. They are good but no mooks. He will be the first to admit that.

Well he should have tried Zilplex's then;) For my part I consider the two disparate products as working together as an holistic approach within my particular room, rather than employing an mutually exclusive mind set.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well he should have tried Zilplex's then;) For my part I consider the two disparate products as working together as an holistic approach within in my particular room, rather than employiing an mutually exclusive mind set.

Yes. But then I also have Synergistic HFT, and one of Frank Tchang's though need to add more of his to make the set complete. No idea if his work

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
See the link I posted in reply to Bill's video. I also spoke to him about this over phone a few months ago.

I was aware of the content of the linked page altho I don't recall any reference to Transducer supports, presumably then Greg's Double GDR footers for the MBL's are an evolution of the system as shown in the Vid?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I was aware of the content of the linked page altho I don't recall any reference to Transducer supports, presumably then Greg's Double GDR footers for the MBL's are an evolution of the system as shown in the Vid?

No idea. All I know is they are made for him that way. Base of one on the floor, the other one connected to it has base pointing upwards so that its spike can lock in to the speaker/tape deck.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
No idea. All I know is they are made for him that way. Base of one on the floor, the other one connected to it has base pointing upwards so that its spike can lock in to the speaker/tape deck.

Perhaps I might inquire of him in that case, however it may transpire that the Double's are designed for, and utilized with, Source and Amplification components, and that arrangements remain, as per the Vid, with regard to the MBL's !?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Perhaps I might inquire of him in that case, however it may transpire that the Double's are designed for, and utilized with, Source and Amplification components, and that arrangements remain, as per the Vid, with regard to the MBL's !?

Maybe you can clarify with him. It was a few months ago, so only from meory I remember it as being for MBL and/or tape deck.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing