More mooks, awesome tweaks

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
It was not my intention at all to call you slow or something, Bill. Just wanted to add (once more) that placing SM feet on top of various audio components can be very effective indeed. That said, imo we should not look upon the SM devices as a 'panacee' for all possible audio issues. They are tweaks and as with all tweaks it is a matter of trial and error to find out whether they are effective or not in certain circumstances.

Oh - no problem Rudolph. I was not the least perturbed by the comment - just glad that I finally realised that this method was useful and a new way of Mooking. I do agree with you point about Mooking not being a panacea for our audiophile woes. That said, I can't ever imagine owning a non-Mook'd system unless the synergistic research UEF stuff does similar tricks or better.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Hi,

What I can say at this early juncture is that removing the 3 ultras from under the GG and placing 1 on each Krell monoblock and one on the GG along with the other Mooks (3 discs and tube resonators) brings a larger macro benefit than 3 under GG. The Krells get a real lift. I should probably try 3 resonators on top of the GG to see whether they are better that way up or normal. Mad stuff.

And how does this occur , sympathetically drawing away vibrations ? Or some other more scientific explanation is abound ....

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
OMGosh, are we now talking about putting Diamond Resonators ON TP, as well as under gear?
Isn't £1700-£2300/component w.3 Ultra or Giants DRs underneath, sufficient expenditure LOL?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I read thru this thread and I am intrigued by what I'm reading. I have the whole decoupling thing handled with Herzan and Wave Kinetics A10 U8's and 2NS's. I'm curious about gear resonance and acoustics tuning.

if one were to jump into the Shun Mook pool; what would be the proper degree of 'jumping' to discover whether they were effective?

3 sets of Mpingo Discs?

3 of the wood holders for the discs?

2 sets of 3 Ultra Diamond Resonators?

I'm thinking on top of my darTZeel 458 mono blocks. on top of my Entreq Poseidon and Silver Tellus. on top of my Golden Gate. on top of my (86" tall) speaker towers? possibly on my baseboard rounded soffit surface at the front of my room or on the windowsills?

maybe on the arm board of my tt. I already have a wonderful Durand tt weight that I love.

coach me up a bit. my system does seem to relate the smallest changes clearly.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Mike, the Mook designer lives on the West coast. Call him over with a van of his toys. There are many more in his kitty than what we use

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
And how does this occur , sympathetically drawing away vibrations ? Or some other more scientific explanation is abound ....

I really don't know Jazzhead - I can only report what I hear. Mad I know.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I read thru this thread and I am intrigued by what I'm reading. I have the whole decoupling thing handled with Herzan and Wave Kinetics A10 U8's and 2NS's. I'm curious about gear resonance and acoustics tuning.

if one were to jump into the Shun Mook pool; what would be the proper degree of 'jumping' to discover whether they were effective?

3 sets of Mpingo Discs?

3 of the wood holders for the discs?

2 sets of 3 Ultra Diamond Resonators?

I'm thinking on top of my darTZeel 458 mono blocks. on top of my Entreq Poseidon and Silver Tellus. on top of my Golden Gate. on top of my (86" tall) speaker towers? possibly on my baseboard rounded soffit surface at the front of my room or on the windowsills?

maybe on the arm board of my tt. I already have a wonderful Durand tt weight that I love.

coach me up a bit. my system does seem to relate the smallest changes clearly.

Hi Mike,

I think the first thing you could do to experience some of this voodoo is purchase a set of Giant Diamond Resonators and place them under your Dartzeel preamp or GG. I think that is where I would start...

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi Mike,

I think the first thing you could do to experience some of this voodoo is purchase a set of Giant Diamond Resonators and place them under your Dartzeel preamp or GG. I think that is where I would start...

Well, some might call it indeed voodoo but imo it is not. Ebony is just a very special wood that influences the acoustics of a room as well as that of instruments. Billy Ying of SM can inform you much better (and he is an interesting story teller!) than I can but I experienced this various times in different rooms and with different audio set ups.

When my son started playing the clarinet he started with a modern instrument. After a while we bought him a vintage Selmer clarinet of ebony wood and the tonality of the latter is so much more beautiful than the former, really no comparison.

If you place a (large) block of ebony in your listening room, this will change your acoustics, even if you not place it under or on top your audio components. That is also the idea behind the SM quartet and sextet and believe me, they change the sound of your room. Whether you like this change or not, that is another question.

As Bill suggested already Mike I would start with one set of three SM feet and I can assure you it will do very good work under the GG. My GG, although placed on a wooden rack, is (also) magnetically decoupled through my Accurion/Halcyonics vario 40 devices under my wooden audio racks but still the SM feet added to the sound quality. Can not predict if the SM feet will work under your Dartzeel preamp as I have no experience with this preamp, but it will definately be interesting to try it out.

Last edited:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Well, some might call it indeed voodoo but imo it is not. Ebony is just a very special wood that influences the acoustics of a room as well as that of instruments. Billy Ying of SM can inform you much better (and he is an intesting story teller!) than I can but I experienced this various times in different rooms and with different audio set ups.

When my son started playing the clarinet he started with a modern instrument. After a while we bought him a vintage Selmer clarinet of ebony wood and the tonality of the latter is so much more beautiful than the former, really no comparison.

If you place a (large) block of ebony in your listening, this will change your acoustics, even if you not place it under or on top your audio components. That is also the idea behind the SM quartet and sextet and believe me, they change the sound of your room. Whether you like this change or not, that is another question.

As Bill suggested already Mike I would start with one set of three SM feet and I can assure you it will do very good work under the GG. My GG, although placed on a wooden rack, is (also) magnetically decoupled through my Accurion/Halcyonics vario 40 devices under my wooden audio racks but still the SM feet added to the sound quality. Can not predict if the SM feet will work under your Dartzeel preamp as I have no experience with this preamp, but it will definately be interesting to try it out.

Agree Bill Ying does have a place in some setups--pity the knockers can never accept that-so be it --life's like that

I've had 6 blocks of Gabon Ebony placed around my room for yonks--who cares I like them there--and horror upon horrors!--I also have SDR's under the TT on which I also place the SM Record Clamp!-- that really gets them going into fits I've read:mad:

In my system they have all found a place--just pity for the aura of object negativity that emits from some--maybe if they took the trouble to try the product, but mock me not--for I have had box loads of tweaks go the way of the Dodo--useless most of them $$'s down the gurgler:(

Funny though the SM's and Ebony remain

Ah well

BruceD

Last edited:

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
Something interesting to read regarding Bill Ying's Shun Mook. Please note that the references link to the made test are lost now!

http://www.shunmook.com/explained/HK-TN-0388- Shun Mook Mpingo Discs Acoustic Test -LH.pdf

Please don't ask me about this measurements, I'm not an expert, but at least, a trained listener. (I believe :) )

I'm a Shun Mook fan since there beginnings (about 20 years or so). Also a wood fan. My music room rack is about two tons weight made from Dalbergia retusa (Costa Rica's Rosewood) , called here Cristóbal and some darker varieties, called Cocobolo. I have also several statues from the last one made by local artist, placed, of course in my my listening room. I own the full Shun Mook line, Shun Mook Pucks, Resonators & Spatial Control Sextet. The Spatial Control Sextet is special ordered with a third row and a 'sextet' not a 'quartet', that is the 'normal'.

Bill Ying is a nice reachable guy even if you live 800 milles away (I'm 3,000 away). Last time I wrote him he was improving acoustics of some Buddhist temples in the Far East, where, by religion, good music playback is a must. Also in music auditories and halls.

Roch

Bill Ying.JPG

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Roch, you are Roberto's friend. There are a few of you in Costa Rica with extensive Shun Mook applications, and a couple of you on this forum with the Lampi as well

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Damping works, so how can you guys who are putting the mooks up on the top of a component be sure it's the mook and not just random weight? Did you try that damping with another weight?

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Damping works, so how can you guys who are putting the mooks up on the top of a component be sure it's the mook and not just random weight? Did you try that damping with another weight?
I thought Mooks were resonators, that's what it says on their confidential ,technical paper.
Keith.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Hi Ked,

Yes - I tried using a Stillpoints lps record clamp - many people use this do dampen vibrations on amps. I noticed that Kj are using them in this capacity on their naim statement gear - they seemed to suggest that it was a worthwhile improvement.

When you add the diamond resonator on top, it has that Mook signature that is easily recognisable and distinct compared to the Stillpoints lps. The Stillpoints lps made a very, very small difference to the GG - I would say a fraction tighter in sound, which is not really welcome for me.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Hi Ked,

Yes - I tried using a Stillpoints lps record clamp - many people use this do dampen vibrations on amps. I noticed that Kj are using them in this capacity on their naim statement gear - they seemed to suggest that it was a worthwhile improvement.

When you add the diamond resonator on top, it has that Mook signature that is easily recognisable and distinct compared to the Stillpoints lps. The Stillpoints lps made a very, very small difference to the GG - I would say a fraction tighter in sound, which is not really welcome for me.

Hmmmm, I wonder where they got that idea from Bill ;)

Like Bill I had previously utilized the Stillpoints LPS's, to fair effect, however the efficacy and most importantly the tonality and harmonics, especially notable on classical strings and acoustic guitar, are more natural and organic with the Resonator's in play.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Having finally gotten around to addressing the Mooking of my Ref250se's I Am awaiting the delivery of a couple of sets of Ultra's .

I do not expect quite the same degree of positive effect as achieved on source and Pre, having previously experimented with Giants and Ultra's on Ref150 and GS150, however I am looking forward to re visiting the experience.

Also looking into raw Mpingo lumber in order to fashion larger pads to seat the diamond tips.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing