More mooks, awesome tweaks

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Price On Application aka if you have to ask, you can't afford aka how much have you got in the bank right now, let's have the lot.

A review site lists them at $2400/3, plus carriage...in 2009! Maybe double now?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Can you guys help out a bit here? Some opinions are that one should go for Giants wherever poss, even on light components (eg my standard size 7kg cdp) if the chassis is big enough, but an email from William suggested that one has to base the choice on size AND weight. So that for my cdp, Ultras or even the one down, is more applicable.
Any consensus here?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No, the size and weight is a minimum. Not a maximum. I.e. you can't have ultras if the weight is beyond what is advised. But for CDP and pre while you can have ultra, adding Giants makes it sound better, provided you have the space to put the Giants in a decently spaced triangle (this won't work under components with a small surface area).

I have an email from William that states that.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
^ As I understand the matter Marc, also ideally the plane of ones Resonator's should lie flush with the bottom chassis plate of ones equipment of choice, however the desired size of Resonator may be compromised in that ideal by any protruding bolts, screw heads, etc.etc that may prevent a flush coupling.

Consensus within an Audio forum Marc !!! I may discuss the possibility with my pet Unicorn and his particular friend a somewhat irascible Dodo named Keith.

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Could these take the title from the Mooks?

Anyone heard these?

http://www.dalbyaudiodesign.co.uk/products/d7-lvse90-isolation-feet.html

Whilst I have no personal experience of them myself, I did spent a little time researching them a while back, following a comment from a guy over on AGon that he had replaced his Mook's with these.

I used to have a couple of RRP's on these, Unfortunatly lost to a dead hard drive, however I seem to recall that they made Mook's appear well affordable by comparison.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Whilst I have no personal experience of them myself, I did spent a little time researching them a while back, following a comment from a guy over on AGon that he had replaced his Mook's with these.

I used to have a couple of RRP's on these, Unfortunatly lost to a dead hard drive, however I seem to recall that they made Mook's appear well affordable by comparison.

I thought as much re: price.

That clamp is to die for...

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
You should get them, Bill - I have heard of one person who shifted to these from Mooks. But don't know anyone else who has compared

As Roger says, I reckon they might be a small fortune and beyond my system.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
bonzo75: Someday in the future, after my listening room is put back together and I actually have a stereo to listen to, I promise I will investigate Shun Mooks.

But, until then, don't Mook me! :)

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
bonzo75: Someday in the future, after my listening room is put back together and I actually have a stereo to listen to, I promise I will investigate Shun Mooks.

Won't mook you, Ron, but may I mention at least that when you visited me I used three SM feet on top of my Kondo preamp, three feet under my Lyra Connoisseur phonostage and various mpingo discs on my Walker turntable? The SM devices are imo really good! But you are complete right, they are tweaks and you should only investigate them after you have your system up and running. Only after getting to know your audio system inside out you can really appreciate what the SM devices are actually doing.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Ron,

I think you should investigate the Dalby stuff too for you planned mega system - I know you are one for build quality. Look at the state of the Dalby clamp - just deliciously constructed. Mind you, the preamp looks a bit tasty too :D.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Won't mook you, Ron, but may I mention at least that when you visited me I used three SM feet on top of my Kondo preamp, three feet under my Lyra Connoisseur phonostage and various mpingo discs on my Walker turntable? The SM devices are imo really good! But you are complete right, they are tweaks and you should only investigate them after you have your system up and running. Only after getting to know your audio system inside out you can really appreciate what the SM devices are actually doing.

Thank you, Audiocrack. That makes perfect sense!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ron doesn't have much of a choice because without mooking planar speaker sonics drop considerably. I found with both Logans and AA, and he is going to end up with one of those, that without mooks the sound is (relatively speaking) coming at you in one plane, from the centre of the speaker. With the resonators under the pre, the sound will come along the length of the panel with more 3d. You don't have to wait to complete the system and then go to complete mooking. After some of the system is up, add one set of resonators under the pre. Then, later, as you proceed with the system, add more in steps.

One thing for sure, once you call Bill Ying over, it will take one session and you will be sold. You will then get a subforum here on mooks

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,

I think you should investigate the Dalby stuff too for you planned mega system - I know you are one for build quality. Look at the state of the Dalby clamp - just deliciously constructed. Mind you, the preamp looks a bit tasty too :D.

That Dalby stuff looks extremely well-made!

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Ron,

David Wright, do you know David, Bill? Realises Lee's electronic creations.
Keith.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Ron doesn't have much of a choice because without mooking planar speaker sonics drop considerably. I found with both Logans and AA, and he is going to end up with one of those, that without mooks the sound is (relatively speaking) coming at you in one plane, from the centre of the speaker. With the resonators under the pre, the sound will come along the length of the panel with more 3d. You don't have to wait to complete the system and then go to complete mooking. After some of the system is up, add one set of resonators under the pre. Then, later, as you proceed with the system, add more in steps.

One thing for sure, once you call Bill Ying over, it will take one session and you will be sold. You will then get a subforum here on mooks

Tweaks like Shun Mook is never a matter of one size fits all Kedar. It always depends on so many factors. You are too apodictic is this regard.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
David Wright, do you know David, Bill? Realises Lee's electronic creations.
Keith.

Hi Keith,

I don't know David Wright or Lee - please enlighten me? What do you know?

Cheers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing