The last turntable and the last CD

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
thanks for the info Bruce, will keep an eye out for these labels. Yes, I did notice the 4 men with beards does have some extra noise on them. Luckily the only one I've got seems to be fairly good. Also noticed some of the blue note labels vary a lot in quality. ..
Cheers, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Great news gentleman!

I just learned that we do have RSD! As I was picking out a few new lp's from the specialty store that deals mostly in audiophile high grade vinyl, right in big letters on a huge poster next to the check out register, was a sign that read "record store day April 18th".

I asked the chappy about the event and he mentioned that it has been running for a few years but they couldn't quite build up a good customer following as hoped. Eventually it picked through the years and demand grew very slowly but they required more publicity. Compared to other major expo's such as, IT tech stuff, car shows, bridal exhibitions, flower exhibitors, motor shows, air shows and the like, they are dealing with a relatively small market. However, targeting the younger crowd would generate further numbers. The other thing is that only a selected number of music retail stores are participating in rsd. At the moment it seems like it is on a fairly small scale that goes on just for one day only.

Tao, Keith, Trevor, and other mates out there in Sydney, are you guys aware of RSD? It is on April 18th, check it out at youd favorite music store.
Cheers, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day from down unda!
yesterday afternoon, just picked up a few more goodies on vinyl; Bonnie Raitt(slipstream), Miles Davis(birth of a legend), and a new one called "a joyful elegy to Fats Waller. This is on Blue Note and sounds fantastic! Some great bass lines and mid transients, along with captivating vocals, done by a new group of musicians and singers I haven't heard of. The main producer is the pianist Jason Moran. Very well done recording from front to back.

I also came across the special album that Lloyd was talking about, Ray with Basie but this was not for sale, it was an in store demo used for the store's in-house music.
I'm still trying to get hold of that one...
another good one I picked up also on Blue note is Herbie Hancock, maiden voyage. Great jazz indeed!
Just wanted to share with all.
Cheers, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day to all and greetings from melbourne!
We are having some crazy weather these days as April has already set in for winter. Just the other weekend trying to stay at home and warm up, as usual ventured out to a music store and picked up a new lp on standard pressing of Van Morrison duets "reworking the catalog".
Wonderful album! It's got all the greats such as Natalie Cole, George Benson, Gregory Porter, Michael Buble and a host of others. Well recorded and well presented. Very nice relaxing music.

This was released by RCA sony corp for 2015, was wondering if anyone else had this same album and what you think of it.

Cheers, RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing