grand slamm mark II

maslak34

Hi,
Looking for a new speaker and came across a grand slam II in pretty good condition.

My room size is 13m long 8m wide and 2.75m height.

Amp is gryphon Diablo integrated.

My listening position is rather close at 4.5m from the speakers

Can the Diablo drive the grand slamms?

Is my sitting position too close?

Will I be better of with something like verity sarastro?

Thanks in advance for all the inputs

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My guess is that it will drive it just fine

The Wilson setup involves positioning and set up of speakers and comes with a setup manual based on listening position My room is not nearly the size of yours and i listen 12 ft (3.7 meters) from the speakers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree with Steve. You MUST get someone who knows what they are doing to set them up...speak with Wilson for someone in your area they trust, if you dont have a good dealer involved. I drive my Grand Slamms with Gryphon Colosseum, and would not be be at all surprised if the Diablo is amazing with yours. Good luck!

maslak34

Thanks for the replies

I have been reading the manual that I found on wilsons web site and setting up is critical and a lengthy process.

Steve Williams

Thanks for the replies

I have been reading the manual that I found on wilsons web site and setting up is critical and a lengthy process.

It's not as difficult as it seems and yes a good knowledgeable dealer is important. Having said that I have set up my last 3 Wilson speakers on my own and was happy with the results

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Thanks for the replies

Here's the WASP set-up sheet:

WASP WS.jpg

Since the speakers are old, I suggest you check all the driver fasteners/bolts and make sure they're tight.

Wilson recommends 20 in-lbs of torque on driver fasteners/bolts.

It helps to use a torque wrench to prevent over tightening.

BTW, don't use the 3/32" Allen Wrench in the Wilson tool kit to tighten the four small black screws on the Focal tweeters. The heads aren't 3/32". They're 2.5mm.

Last edited:

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I set up my former Grand Slamm Series 2 speakers on at least 4 occasions, always sounded great. Also set up Alexandrias myself. Piece of cake.

I would be careful when putting the Grand Slamms together though. The blades used to hold the upper modules in place have very sharp edges and when sliding the modules for optimal setup, some scratching of the paint surfaces can occur if you're not very careful. Something they fixed with the Alexandrias.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Yes indeed I've had the privilege to hear Steve's Wilsons at his magnificent abode! --and they sound superb and engaging

Having been a Wilson owner since the Watt3 to the X1Grand Slamm-- I concur the Gryphon will perform admirably with the Slamms

Incidentally with respect to the WASP setup I got the feeling Steve's room proved the exception to that rule--but I could be wrong:)!

Good Listening

BruceD

maslak34

Just wondering

what are the differences of Xi Grand Slamm I and II and III versions?

Do I need to get any tweaks for the II's?

I know most people use the stillpoint with them but as for the jumper cables what will be the recommendations?

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
If you use the WASP method you will need two tape measures per speaker when setting up to mark down the changes in positioning. Be patient, it helps to have an assistant moving the speakers while you remain seated. These speakers definitely take time to setup, but the finished result is amazing.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I owned X1 series 3's for a short time but I don't recall any need for jumper cables

Hi Steve...yes, the Wilsons come with a solid copper block that links certain binding posts in the back...but i have found that ADDING a Transp Ref Jumper cable made a huge improvement. This experiment came off the back of a few owners who had bi-amp'd their Grand Slamms which had been strongly recommended to me by 3 different Wilson dealers, along with one person who had bi-wired his and decided against upgrading to an Alexandria I many years ago.

I am not going up to Alex 2...so this jumper idea was quite a nice surprise for me, as it brought a nice level of improvement, particularly in bass articulation and delineation.

Steve Williams

Hi Steve...yes, the Wilsons come with a solid copper block that links certain binding posts in the back...but i have found that ADDING a Transp Ref Jumper cable made a huge improvement. This experiment came off the back of a few owners who had bi-amp'd their Grand Slamms which had been strongly recommended to me by 3 different Wilson dealers, along with one person who had bi-wired his and decided against upgrading to an Alexandria I many years ago.

I am not going up to Alex 2...so this jumper idea was quite a nice surprise for me, as it brought a nice level of improvement, particularly in bass articulation and delineation.

Lloyd

How do they biamp without using the Wilson crossover or an external crossover.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd

How do they biamp without using the Wilson crossover or an external crossover.

Hi Steve,

They were recommending running thru the Wilson external crossover and bypassing the internal one for bass amp...a lot of work, but supposedly transformational from those who have done it (with help of Wilson dealers).

wsill

Oct 3, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
maslak34

Setting up Wilson X-1's is not difficult.
The manual provides extremely well laid out, concise step by step directions.
Also using the 'Time Align' charts in the Appendix really help. You can fine tune your setup by moving the individual modules once you get some experience with how they interact in your room. I agree with Steve and rockitman, Frank750 with their comments on setup. :)
One improvement I made to my X-1 wings; I added a felt liner to the inside of each wing; so now as I slide the modules into the wings the fear of scratching or issues is diminished to zero.

Bill

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing