What are the best solutions to reduce Stylus Microphonics

caesar

May 30, 2010
What are the best implementations that reduce the effects of the stylus acting as a microphone and picking all kinds of sounds (especially the speakers!) during analog playback?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Given an already good table, using a dust cover. Unfortunately when you have a large table like I do, it is very, VERY cumbersome. Generally not worth the effort for me, by the time I get back to my chair quite a few bars have played already. Of course the ultimate is to have your table in another room then get some track shoes and tartan track tiles for your flooring LOL.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Can't say I have ever noticed the effect at ANY volume.

I do have a concrete slab floor and tables that have good isolation.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Put the table in another room and have your manservant change records? Digital? :)

Tim

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The easiest way to see if your TT\cart. is picking up any microphonics is to put an album on, place the needle in a groove, with the platter stationary. Then play some digital or whatever source you have, preferably with some good bass, and then record the output from your phono pre. I don't care how good your isolation is, I can pretty much guarantee "something" will show up in the recording. On a poorly isolated rig,you may be able to use the files as a digital source!!

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Once the music plays all I hear is the music.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just imagine how much better it could be with a lower noise floor!
I'm sure it would be, and no doubt my system could use better isolation. However, I can't afford to spend more than what I already have for now, so I make due and focus on the positives it provides.

mbskeam

Sep 28, 2012
some place in seattle area
The easiest way to see if your TT\cart. is picking up any microphonics is to put an album on, place the needle in a groove, with the platter stationary. Then play some digital or whatever source you have, preferably with some good bass, and then record the output from your phono pre. I don't care how good your isolation is, I can pretty much guarantee "something" will show up in the recording. On a poorly isolated rig,you may be able to use the files as a digital source!!

would an O-scope work?

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I have the Kronos LTD. and there is zero feedback, zero microphonics due to the counter rotating platters. Terry and I can dance right next to the table with no audible effect (we have suspended floors).

Having a Kronos is like having your table in another house.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have the Kronos LTD. and there is zero feedback, zero microphonics due to the counter rotating platters. Terry and I can dance right next to the table with no audible effect (we have suspended floors).

Having a Kronos is like having your table in another house.

Record the output with the stylus on the stationary platter while something is playing then. You can't say that there is "zero" feedback/microphonics because it doesn't exist. Otherwise, the Kronos would be the only TT anyone would need because the laws of physics don't apply!

Brf

Sep 21, 2012
Most acoustic feedback that excites the stylus is caused by low level energy from the speaker just outside the audible range. Try installing a rumble/subsonic filter to eliminate said energy.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Again, I was wearing headphones while digitizing a record. Elys 2 MM cart. Through the silent groove between tracks I could hear my voice. Normal speaking tone. I'm sure a nearby speaker would be more intrusive.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If we're talking microphonics we're not just talking about the tables but also the arms and the carts themselves being exposed to external airborne vibration/pressure fronts. Hence my recommendations for a cover or placement in another room. In practical terms however I do find these too much work for too little gain.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
This is a case of mechanical feedback. For this to happen several variables are poorly controlled. First, the platter pad can absorb resonance in the vinyl- sounds like this is not happening.

But more importantly, the turntable is not dealing with mechanical vibration from the speakers very well. Actually most turntables have some issues with this- and for this reason an anti-vibration damping platform beneath the turntable can be quite helpful. In my system I also have a custom-built Sound Anchors stand that is built to accommodate the turntable on such a platform. In turn it rests on three Aurios Pro Bearings. I can jump up and down right next to the turntable (I have hardwood floors in a 100-year old house) and the woofers don't react. I can play at any volume and not only do I not get feedback of any sort, I can't tell that the sound even changes. Before I had the platform and stand that certainly was not the case- as you turned it up the sound degraded.

I've seen people on a budget put a thick towel under the 'table with some luck. I'd try this first and if you hear a difference you know that the turntable is the mechanism of the feedback.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Switch the preamp selector to "CD", "tuner", "tape", media server", "_enter your favorite minimally affected source". ;)

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Are you saying the stylus itself is vibrating due to sound waves, or are you saying the stylus is picking up vibrations from the table/stand/tonearm vibrating? I can't imagine the stylus itself being impacted by external sound waves due to its dimunitive size and the fact it is already being much more profoundly impacted by its travel through the groove. Remember if the needle were blown up to the size of a human, the record would be cruizing beneath at six hundred mph. I don't think the stylus is microphinic but certainly vibrations to the table can make it to the stylus.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In this case it is probably a combination of vibrations through the vinyl surface and vibrations in the cartridge body/headshell/arm. I can yell at my cart until I'm blue in the face and get zip. Then again it has a solid titanium egg shaped body, the headshell has elastomer damping and the arm itself is a unipivot that's also damped. It might happen with a nude or plastic bodied cart on a table that transmits vibrations. I can tap on a record while it's playing and not get any sound out of the speakers so I guess that part is dealt with sufficiently enough. So as I said, in my case too much work for too little gain.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing