My new project : phono preamp

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
It starts with a chassis I got off Ebay. Working on tube layout.

chassis.jpg

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
The transformer has been recessed and the turret boards mounted.

layout.jpg

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Time to start working on parts layout. It fills up quick.

layout2.jpg

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Any concern about the transformer (or is that another choke?) and choke in the chassis causing hum in the signal path?

No, being this isn't my first rodeo. "Best practices" wiring and layout are time tested implementations that have given me great success in the past. Things like separating power and signal wires (both shielded), separate ground paths for power and signal, and plenty of filtering in the power circuit are just some of the techniques. I used a similar transformer and the same choke in my linestage.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So what was that pretty case before you repurposed it?

And what is in the toroid enclosure on top if the transformer is inside?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
No, being this isn't my first rodeo. "Best practices" wiring and layout are time tested implementations that have given me great success in the past. Things like separating power and signal wires (both shielded), separate ground paths for power and signal, and plenty of filtering in the power circuit are just some of the techniques. I used a similar transformer and the same choke in my linestage.

Sorry, did not mean to give offense. I couldn't tell what if any of the caps and wires were signal wires nor did I know your experience level (though obviously pretty high!)

My first rodeo was long ago but I've not ridden for years. Took fifth in bareback at KC finals, high as I ever got. One more reason to stay in engineering.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Sorry, did not mean to give offense. I couldn't tell what if any of the caps and wires were signal wires nor did I know your experience level (though obviously pretty high!)

My first rodeo was long ago but I've not ridden for years. Took fifth in bareback at KC finals, high as I ever got. One more reason to stay in engineering.

No offense taken. Just trying to give quick snap shot of design condensed from decades of experience.

By the way, I stopped riding bulls at Logan Huffman 30 years ago. My body thanks me now.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
So what was that pretty case before you repurposed it?

And what is in the toroid enclosure on top if the transformer is inside?

The enclosure is new and sourced out of China. It can be used for several designs depending on how the chassis is cut. I ordered it with blank panels, so I could do a custom layout. I've seen it used for preamps, headphone amps and DACs.

The original chassis design lends itself to the toroid enclosure. I took my transformer and mounted it upside down and recessed it into the space afforded me by the transformer cover.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ah, somehow I thought it was a used unit when you said ebay. May bad :). Good to know nice looking enclosures like that are readily purchasable.

Light Dependant Resistor

May 10, 2014
Hi
Do you have a schematic that you are following ? The rule of thumb for capacitance is 1000 uf for every amp of current, and its common for
inductance in the form of a choke to supply the valve anodes. the second transformer is I take for the 6.3v heaters.

All the best with your project.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I have read that and other rules of thumb for capacitance but never quite understood them. If you have an ideal current source at twice the line frequency as might come from a typical rectifier then you get a large change in voltage if you assume only discharge during half the period. If you assume an ideal voltage source then the capacitance doesn't matter. In the real world in-between there are a myriad of variables that influence the choice in decoupling capacitance, including source and load impedance, charge and discharge rate, PSRR (DC and wideband) of the circuit, etc.

Light Dependant Resistor

May 10, 2014
I have read that and other rules of thumb for capacitance but never quite understood them. If you have an ideal current source at twice the line frequency as might come from a typical rectifier then you get a large change in voltage if you assume only discharge during half the period. If you assume an ideal voltage source then the capacitance doesn't matter. In the real world in-between there are a myriad of variables that influence the choice in decoupling capacitance, including source and load impedance, charge and discharge rate, PSRR (DC and wideband) of the circuit, etc.

You have described it well, its a good rule of thumb as it defines the amperage required of the rectifier diodes.
when placed to charge and maintain capacitors whilst also switching AC.

Last edited:

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Life has a way of taking over. Well after months and a day of rain, I have made some progress on the phone stage. I need to determine some resistor values in the power supply and then I can install the board and clean up the wiring. The end draws near.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing