Turntable Level

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hello,

What is in your opinion the best turntable level? Why?

- Ortofon - High-Precision Spirit Bubble Level

- Clearaudio Precision Bubble Level

- The Cartridge Man Digital Leveling Gauge (expensive)

- VPI Cross Check Turntable Level

- Avid - Level 45

- Other?

Thank you,

VPN

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
tonar-cross-balls-turntable-level-3143-p.jpg

use these 2 myself
basic & cheap Crossballs - best & expensive The Cartridge Man Digital Leveling Gauge

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Dear Daytona600, than you for your input. I also know a person who is quite happy with the Cartridge Man Gauge.

I wonder what is the second best level, not as expensive as the electronic Cartridge Man Gauge.

number95

May 14, 2014

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Reactions: kozzmo

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
I just use a small 3" bubble level. I sit it on the platter and rotate the platter in a circle very slowly. If the bubble stays in the middle all the way round I am good to go.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Just ordered this:

CG70B-7_1_Large_Diameter_Precision_Circular_Level.jpg

Might be too massive for some tt, but we'll see :
:p

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
^^^ Do you have a link?

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I had some custom vials made, and build them into the turntables I make. At least, people can remember where they are. :D

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I like the Digi-Pas DWL-80Pro Mini Pocket Size Digital Level Electronic Angle Gauge, on Amazon. It fits into tight spaces better than my ClearAudio bubble level.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Hello,

What is in your opinion the best turntable level? Why?

- Ortofon - High-Precision Spirit Bubble Level

- Clearaudio Precision Bubble Level

- The Cartridge Man Digital Leveling Gauge (expensive)

- VPI Cross Check Turntable Level

- Avid - Level 45

- Other?

Thank you,

VPN
Best I’ve found is the Mitutoyo 3600. It’s accuracy/repeatability is +/- 0.05 degrees, meaning that repeated measurements at the same spot will be within 0.1 degrees.
Most digital levels are at least 2X worse in accuracy. Don’t judge by the number of decimals on the digital display, that has no relationship to accuracy.
It also means that, with the Mitutoyo, there’s no point in trying to level < 0.1 degrees.
It’s very easy to chase your tail and go crazy trying to get level perfect - you never will - so don’t obsess over it!

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I like the Digi-Pas DWL-80Pro Mini Pocket Size Digital Level Electronic Angle Gauge, on Amazon. It fits into tight spaces better than my ClearAudio bubble level.
This model has odd accuracy specs:
  • Accuracy of ± 0.05° at around 0° & 90° ; ± 0.2° at 1°~89°
I would say it‘s going to be within 0.4 degrees, not 0.1. “Around 0” is like 1 degree, where accuracy plummets.
That’s fine, just don’t fret over levels < 0.4 degrees. So if tonearm path, front-back, left-right are all <0.4, that’s as close as you can get with this model.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Reactions: Zeotrope

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
In my setup I can’t get my head over the platter perfectly, so there’s parallax error if I use a bubble level.

The main thing to keep in mind (with digital levels) is not to try to correct within the margin of error. If the digital gauge is +/-0.1 deg (most are worse), then that means repeated readings will be off by as much as 0.degree, even if it’s perfectly flat.
So don’t worry if your digital gauge is not reading 0.00 when you’re checking the level. And don’t think that because you have two decimals of resolution it means it’s accurate to a hundredth of a degree (it’s not).

What I did was check the level in 3 places:
1) Along the path of the cartridge
2) Front to back (perpendicular to the front of the TT)
3) Left to right (parallel to the front of the TT)

If the difference in angle of (1) vs (2) and (1) vs (3) is within the margin of error of the leveling tool, you can’t get better.

Or you could just look at the angle at (1) and check that it’s within the margin of error of the tool. That assumes the tool was perfectly calibrated on a flat surface - most probably are not. The Mitutoyo has a way to manually calibrate it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing