Nat Audio - giant killers?

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
They can configure it with your choice of ends. According to them the cable should work for any connection using a DB-25.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, I'm gonna fire off an order for a pair of these DB-25 umbilicals, they're the only cables in my loom which remain as stock.

The Nats are such fantastic performers, providing magic well above their price point, I'd hate to think I'm limiting their performance by not getting superior cables here.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ihmeyers, I've just ordered a 1m pair of the Tubulus Argentus DB-25. Should be w me by end Jan.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
Good luck with it. I think you'll like it. Let us know what you think. :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ihmeyers, the Argentus DB-25 cables went in yesterday. I've posted on the Pass forum where there is more interest in these umbilicals.

A noticeable drop in noise floor, easy to see when stock cable is so flimsy and likely unshielded.

Makes for greater low level and ambient detail retrieval. Nice uptick in microdynamics.

Slight out of the box excess bass warmth already receding at 10 hrs mark.

Totally happy w the purchase.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I like to compare Tenor 175 and Aries Cerat Genus to my sofar unbeatable class A 80w/8ohm Emirate Challenge SE-833MX monoblocks with volume regulation. Older photo when I was comparing Grandinote, Kronzilla and my amps.

Attachments

• 20201224_195030.jpg
    20201224_195030.jpg
    881.2 KB · Views: 48

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I like to compare Tenor 175 and Aries Cerat Genus to my sofar unbeatable class A 80w/8ohm Emirate Challenge SE-833MX monoblocks with volume regulation. Older photo when I was comparing Grandinote, Kronzilla and my amps.
Given the power of the amps you are discussing, the Aries Cerat Diana Forte or the Concero 65 monos would be a more apples-to-apples comparison than the Genus. How was your amp compared to the Kronzilla (I am quite familiar with KR but not the Tenor)?

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Kronzilla was behaving more like SS then tube amp, very nice sounding, very neutral, for me too neutral. Se-833MX more everything, especialy musicality. SS people like my tube amps, it just sounds right for everybody, no any flaws of tubes or SS, very high league and hard to beat.250w/8ohm Moon W8 recently bought for good money was like child toy compare to these beasts. I like Moon but this is something else

Attachments

• aabf8852bfb8f933c8b545c91bab17f0.jpg
    aabf8852bfb8f933c8b545c91bab17f0.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 30

Leog2017

Sep 16, 2017
I have a pair of
Kronzilla was behaving more like SS then tube amp, very nice sounding, very neutral, for me too neutral. Se-833MX more everything, especialy musicality. SS people like my tube amps, it just sounds right for everybody, no any flaws of tubes or SS, very high league and hard to beat.250w/8ohm Moon W8 recently bought for good money was like child toy compare to these beasts. I like Moon but this is something else
KR Audio Kronzilla DXLs. Do you think is there any way to upgrade them with better caps or something?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm confused as to why this thread is resussitated after three years w no reference to the subject of the thread.

Reactions: F208Frank

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I have a pair of

KR Audio Kronzilla DXLs. Do you think is there any way to upgrade them with better caps or something?
ask mistr Marek Genchev himself, he will answer your question properly, his phone is listed on the web of KR audio cz. ...I have talked to him few times

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Together with Thundersnow, keeping the Nat flame alight.
Getting on for nearly a year now with my modded Nat amps, Utopia pre/SE2SE 211 monos.
James of Deco Audio in Aylesbury UK major surgery replacing all stock caps with AN and Nichicon.
To add to a new (as much as 1943 can be called new, lol) quad of GE 211s from Audio Antiquary.
Upon the Brent Jessee-sourced 60s 70s Mullards Mazdas 6DJ8 tubes change in preamp.
And my previous change of Tubulus Audio Argentus DB-25 cables linking preamp to it's PSU.

I'd always had issues with noise, that no amount of finagling helped for long. I must have run thru nearly a dozen changes of 80s Vostok Rockets tubes off eBay, great for a few weeks, then the bacon frying returned.
So, for James to have mostly eradicated this is a massive boon.

And resulting from my lower noise floor, I have greater resolution. Critically however is much less graininess and greyness, greater tone colours, speed, texture and air. And a shoring up in imaging.

But for me, the eradication of noise is the biggest positive, to add to my other strategic victories in eliminating noise from other sources.

Together with improved room acoustics having been such a plus from day one, I've finally approximated to a proper high end sound in those areas most necessary, and closer to what I've heard in the three best systems I've visited over the last decade.

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Ok Spiritofmusic. I am in NAT preamp puzzle right now. I have Magnetic on loan at home. Now I am reading some reviews and threads about Symetric, Magnetic hybrid, non hybrid, Magnetostat/SE and also Utopia. Utopia is 2 box, was this former reference praemp and then replaced with new models in hiearch where symetric was entry level and Magnetostat SE top level? Anyone knows if Magnetostat SE is much better then Magnetic since the price is triple? Can Utopia compete with the newer models? I found Utopia on sale for very low price od 2300 euros, I can also buy 6 years old Magnetic for 5500e. Friend of mine suggested to purchase preferably Wavac or Ymamamoto instead. He said I need this type of tube preamp (singleended) to pair it with my SE-833, that it would be ideal combination. Any thoughts anyone? I just have bought Horning Agalme to acompany my Tannoy Westminster and I am loving it but Agalme need fuller sounding preamp and NAT Magnetic seems doing it very well. I can also buy the best version of Magnetostat SE with some extras on the top for 14000euro and I am tempted.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Zappa, I'm not sure I'm the Nat expert you need, lol.
I trialled the Symmetric versus the Utopia, and clearly preferred to latter, going on to buy it.
The Utopia was Dejan's first product, indeed he developed it while studying for his Masters degree.
I was in the market at one point for the Magnetostat, but fate decreed this wouldn't happen.
Can't comment on the Magnetic.
I believe the Magnetostat is very special indeed, if you can stretch to it, well then, stretch.
But the Utopia is a very fine preamp, my only issues have been tube noise which some mods have helped eradicate, and an upgrade which "makes" the preamp, namely a better version of the stock db25 cable connecting the pre to it's psu.

• Wow
Reactions: Zappadaddy

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Ok Spiritofmusic. I am in NAT preamp puzzle right now. I have Magnetic on loan at home. Now I am reading some reviews and threads about Symetric, Magnetic hybrid, non hybrid, Magnetostat/SE and also Utopia. Utopia is 2 box, was this former reference praemp and then replaced with new models in hiearch where symetric was entry level and Magnetostat SE top level? Anyone knows if Magnetostat SE is much better then Magnetic since the price is triple? Can Utopia compete with the newer models? I found Utopia on sale for very low price od 2300 euros, I can also buy 6 years old Magnetic for 5500e. Friend of mine suggested to purchase preferably Wavac or Ymamamoto instead. He said I need this type of tube preamp (singleended) to pair it with my SE-833, that it would be ideal combination. Any thoughts anyone? I just have bought Horning Agalme to acompany my Tannoy Westminster and I am loving it but Agalme need fuller sounding preamp and NAT Magnetic seems doing it very well. I can also buy the best version of Magnetostat SE with some extras on the top for 14000euro and I am tempted.
I had an older NAT Plasma, which was fully tube regulated and dual mono with 12 x 6922 per channel. It sounded just like you need. Muscular, dynamic and full but with lots of resolution…I only sold because the gain in the end was too high.

Another option is Aries Cerat…an Incito S would fit perfectly.

I run Eufrodite Ellipse speakers that like robust sounding gear too.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I would advise you to ping @Thundersnow as he is using current NAT gear and heard it all from them

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Thanks guys for trying to help. Magnetic seems like it adds too much for me. When I am going straight from my Tambaqui direct to SE-833 it is the best sound, it looiks like Se-833 with its own volume regulation sounds better then mediocre preamp. Maybe I just have to be patient and find the right preamp which would take this combo to diffrent level. Maybe Impreza/Incinito/ AR Ref6, Wavac, Yamamoto, VAC Master/ Shindo Vosna. The problem I have there is no option for me to hear these mentioned preamps in my country, most people here are shoping for solid state. Also Jadis JP80 and NAT Magnetostat could be adept. Any thought guys?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
WHat brand is your SE-833? Is it a WAVAC?

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
WHat brand is your SE-833? Is it a WAVAC?
It is not Wavac, but these amps are based on Wavac idea/technology. They are Emirate SE-833 Challenge from Ukraine. They do not cost 350 000$ , only 15 000. Class A se 80w per chanel, now they new one with GU-88 I believe with 100w per channel. They have their own volume regulation whicjh is nice when you like to see how preamps change the character of music, most of time it is worrse with preamps then going direct

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 21

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
It is not Wavac, but these amps are based on Wavac idea/technology. They are Emirate SE-833 Challenge from Ukraine. They do not cost 350 000$ , only 15 000. Class A se 80w per chanel, now they new one with GU-88 I believe with 100w per channel. They have their own volume regulation whicjh is nice when you like to see how preamps change the character of music, most of time it is worrse with preamps then going direct
How are the Horning speakers working out for you?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing