spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
At least the NATs aren't bloated or rolled off
Good thing too, otherwise this thread would be a waste of etherspace

thekong

May 10, 2012
.... so why bother with a WAMM??

I have auditioned a well set up WAMM system in Malaysia, and it was very impressive indeed! In fact, I preferred it over all the later Wilson models, at least up to the Alexandria (I have not seriously auditioned the newer models yet).

Can’t remember the exact configuration, but it was digital source with Goldmund power amps.

Of course, that is just my preference!

Oh, I meant the original WAMM, not the new one that has just been released!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have auditioned a well set up WAMM system in Malaysia, and it was very impressive indeed! In fact, I preferred it over all the later Wilson models, at least up to the Alexandria (I have not seriously auditioned the newer models yet).

Can’t remember the exact configuration, but it was digital source with Goldmund power amps.

Of course, that is just my preference!

Michael, what's your take now on your client Pass as compared to your previous CJ?

thekong

May 10, 2012
Michael, what's your take now on your client Pass as compared to your previous CJ?

Ked, my room set up is taking a bit longer than I have expected, but all the renovation is done. I am just starting the set up!

Will let you know once I have done some serious audition on it!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anyone auditioned or owned Cary 211FEs, or compared them to NAT or other SET amps of similar power (70 watts)?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
At least the NATs aren't bloated or rolled off
Good thing too, otherwise this thread would be a waste of etherspace
Einstein is not either...if anything it leans more to the "leaner" slightly analytical side...NAT sounds fuller.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Has anyone auditioned or owned Cary 211FEs, or compared them to NAT or other SET amps of similar power (70 watts)?

Hi Ron
I think the 211FEs are push/pull and not SET. Class A triode PP can sound very good but I haven't heard those Carys.

gareneau

Jul 19, 2015
Morristown, NJ
Einstein is not either...if anything it leans more to the "leaner" slightly analytical side...NAT sounds fuller.

Are you referring to their amps or preamp lines ("The Tube") or both? I'm just interested in the preamp comparisons. And as long as we're talking about a German make, curious about your thinking re: Symphonic Line's die Erleuchtung.

What makes all this somewhat plain conjecture is how each of these might play in my system without auditioning them, which I can't do.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

NAT magma M have 80w.

Berning 211/845 at higher budgets, not heard

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
OK Gang, I'm back... An interesting possibility has presented itself. Some of you mentioned Mastersound amplifiers, and a set of PF100 Limiteds have become available to me in what may be considered favorable circumstances. They are single owner and extremely well taken care of.
Does anyone have experience listening to these ? Any feedback ? My concerns are ..... 8 pieces of 845 glass. The heat and the expense of retubing. I believe it has Shuguang or Psvayne in it now, and naturally i would want to try the KR 845, unless its strident like some of thier other tubes .. Also wondering why in the world I would want 100W of Class A SET if my next "big" system change is to actively crossover the rig and Quad amp a set of Maggie 3.7i as well as outboard subs. I feel like I may be unknowingly headed to the funny farm. I have the strange vision my HiFi ride may end up in a world class integrated with onboard DAC, a digital endpoint and a set of speakers. I'm wondering if I take the short ride, or if pulling the trigger and going to "eleven" with a quadamp PF100 rig is worth the experience before I lose my marbles.

Any of you more seasoned audiophiles care to weigh in ?

Thanks guys ..

Mike

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, all I can say is my NATs SE2SEs sporting a quad of '48 GE 211s NOS and various driver tubes in these/Electro Harmonix in the NATs Utopia linestage, on a warm summer's day in my loft, is enough already re heat output

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
Mike, all I can say is my NATs SE2SEs sporting a quad of '48 GE 211s NOS and various driver tubes in these/Electro Harmonix in the NATs Utopia linestage, on a warm summer's day in my loft, is enough already re heat output

I figured so much. My rig is in a room I added on so the HVAC is a little shy in that room. I'd probably have to add a mini HVAC rig. I'm wondering if the effort, sweating, expense, etc is worth it as compared to my current 100W PP 805DHT Generator monos ..

Its going to be a burden to take these beasts on and I'm trying to weigh out the returns..

Thanks

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Verastarr, A/C is something I may look at for next yr
But after eliminating a lot of noise in my system, I'm reluctant to potentially add more back
Re tubes warmth, if I ever end up w the new Zu flagships Experiences, they're likely to sport v high eff subs, and I'll use First Watt SITs on them
A second pr of tube amps for bass duties out of the q here

Scatterbrain99

Aug 18, 2016
Has anyone heard the NAT Magnetic preamp? How do they sound compare to similarly priced preamps? What is the list price?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sorry gentlemen, can't help
I'm a Utopia pre/SE2SE monos man re NAT
Try PMg Morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Sorry Gents, I haven't heard the Magnetic but I know someone who preferred the Symmetrical to it. I have a Plasma, which I am selling for a nice price though if anyone is interested. It is very good but I will have an Aries Cerat Integrated going forward and so it needs a new home. Send me a private message if interested.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The magnetic was previously hybrid and some didn't like it. He changed that though, no more hybrid. Dejan thinks that's the sweet spot, and the German distributor loves it

Scatterbrain99

Aug 18, 2016
The magnetic was previously hybrid and some didn't like it. He changed that though, no more hybrid. Dejan thinks that's the sweet spot, and the German distributor loves it

Hi bonzo, Thank you for your comment. Can you clarify your statement a bit? Magnetic is not hybrid anymore? According to NAT website, it's still mentioned as hybrid. What is the sweet spot according to Dejan - the Magnetic preamp?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing