Who Is Your Favorite Orchestral Conductor

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My wife and I were at Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles two nights ago where we heard Gustavo Dudamel conduct the LA Philharmonic in the playing of Dvorak's New World Symphony. Dudamel is indeed a prodigy at the age of 34 where after a world wide search he was hired to conduct the LA Philharmonic. I was impressed by his style and more than anything else by the huge ovation with "bravo" and "bravissimo" being shouted by the audience at the end of the symphony along with a standing audience and huge applause.

I found his style of conducting somewhat different than many of the world's great conductors. Many times it seemed as if Dudamel was dancing to the beat of the music as he was totally immersed. At the conclusion of the symphony Dudamel also walked through the orchestra and signaling to many to stand and be recognized. I thought this was so engaging for the crowd.

Also I can't remember a conductor walking off at the end only to return for two standing ovations followed by a 5 minute encore again to the same accolades.It was also thrilling to watch how his orchestra loves this man by the way they all embraced him at the end

I was also fascinated that during the symphony the orchestra was completely immersed in the music and TBH I didn't see one musician following the lead of Dudamel's conducting and wanted to ask members here if they have seen the same thing.

Lastly, having never been to the Walt Disney Concert Hall I didn't expect to see seating directly behind the orchestra where they could certainly follow the conductor's lead much better. Has anyone been in a concert hall where there is seating directly behind the orchestra.

At age 34 Dudamel was wonderful to watch. I understand his contract has been extended through 2019. So who is everyone's favorite conductor

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great thread...

...Old School: Furtwangler
...'Buy it Blind': Sir John Gardiner
...Bach: Suzuki
...New School: Tugan Sokhiev

Of these four, i am sometimes most amazed by Sokhiev...his Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition is stunning.
Mussorgsky - Sokhiev.jpg

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Bruno Walter

Arturo Toscanini

Wilhem Furtwangler

No one living today can conduct Beethoven (my gold standard) the way they could.

It's heart breaking that we cannot get new recordings of them.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
For dead conductors, there are many including Gary's picks. Clemens Krauss is also a great conductor from that era. His 1953 Bayreuth Ring is my favorite, although Furtwangler's 1950 La Scala Ring is very close second. Reiner and Szell, a little more recent. I would add Carlos Kleiber for a more recently deceased (his dad Erich was also a great conductor) and Lorin Maazel for extremely recently deceased (we saw him last year).

For living conductors - I was very impressed seeing Andris Nelsons conducting the Vienna Philharmonic last year. We see Michael Tilson Thomas regularly and he doesn't look or act like he is 70 (my age). Haven't seen Dudamel yet. We were at Disney last year, but Perlman was guest conducting the LAPO and fiddling.

Larry

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
And I believe he started at the LA Phil at the ripe age of 29 :)

I make it out to see him at least onc a year- havent been disappointed yet! I always sit in orchestra east or west to see him in full action. He never uses a score either. Simply a genius.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Don't have any favorites, but I've seen Dudamel here in São Paulo, in a very nice room (that has seating behind the orchestra!).
He was conducting his venezuelan orchestra, and the main piece was Rite of Spring. Needless to say, it was thrilling!

alexandre

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If he doesn't use a score and his orchestra doesn't watch him that can only mean that this group practices HARD.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
My favorite conductor depends on the music played.

A few examples:

1. Beethoven, Hindemith: Herbert Blomstedt
2. Bruckner: Guenther Wand, Herbert von Karajan
3. Mahler: Leonard Bernstein
4. Shostakovich: Mariss Janssons
5. Stockhausen: Karlheinz Stockhausen

Favorite local conductor (Boston) of avantgarde music: Jeffrey Means.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
What...no Reiner ?

Christian - second line of my post (along with Szell). I actually saw Reiner as a boy in Chicago in the '50's. Don't remember too much. Larry

errandboy

Oct 20, 2014
Current conductors:

Manfred Honeck
David Zinman
Antoni Wit
Ole Kristian Ruud

Deceased conductors:

Jean Martinon
Charles Mackerras
Igor Markevitch

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I often find Celibidache fascinating. Bernard Haitink and Leonard Bernstein both impress over a very wide range of musical styles. Of newer conductors I find I often like Gergiev in later Romantic period works.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My wife and I were at Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles two nights ago where we heard Gustavo Dudamel conduct the LA Philharmonic in the playing of Dvorak's New World Symphony. Dudamel is indeed a prodigy at the age of 34 where after a world wide search he was hired to conduct the LA Philharmonic. I was impressed by his style and more than anything else by the huge ovation with "bravo" and "bravissimo" being shouted by the audience at the end of the symphony along with a standing audience and huge applause.

I found his style of conducting somewhat different than many of the world's great conductors. Many times it seemed as if Dudamel was dancing to the beat of the music as he was totally immersed. At the conclusion of the symphony Dudamel also walked through the orchestra and signaling to many to stand and be recognized. I thought this was so engaging for the crowd.

Also I can't remember a conductor walking off at the end only to return for two standing ovations followed by a 5 minute encore again to the same accolades.It was also thrilling to watch how his orchestra loves this man by the way they all embraced him at the end

I was also fascinated that during the symphony the orchestra was completely immersed in the music and TBH I didn't see one musician following the lead of Dudamel's conducting and wanted to ask members here if they have seen the same thing.

Lastly, having never been to the Walt Disney Concert Hall I didn't expect to see seating directly behind the orchestra where they could certainly follow the conductor's lead much better. Has anyone been in a concert hall where there is seating directly behind the orchestra.

At age 34 Dudamel was wonderful to watch. I understand his contract has been extended through 2019. So who is everyone's favorite conductor

Hi Steve, at the Royal festival hall there is seating directly behind the orchestra. The seats are cheaper in that section.

Saw Dudamel do Mahler 5th and Beethoven 5th, and some Wagner.

Route 66

Mar 29, 2015
Burbank, CA

I'm also a big fan of Dudamel and have seen him conduct on a number of occasions at the Hollywood Bowl. I was very pleased to hear that his contract with the LA Phil has been extended until 2022.

[url]http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...326-story.html[/URL]

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I like Herbert von Karajan a lot. His readings have power, grace, whatever the score requires. Solti for balls to the wall intensity!

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Bruno Walter

Arturo Toscanini

Wilhem Furtwangler

No one living today can conduct Beethoven (my gold standard) the way they could.

It's heart breaking that we cannot get new recordings of them.

Talking about Beethoven you can't forget Carlos Kleiber listen to his 5th and 7th whit Wiener Philarmoniker mind its like Cosmos.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Alive:

Yannick Nézet-Séguin
Maris Jansons
Valery Gergiev
Bernard Haitink
Simon Rattle
Gustav Dudamel

Rip:

Carlos Kleiber
Yvgeny Mravinsky
Fritz Reiner
Leonard Bernstein
Karajan
Claudio Abbado
Charles Munch

Reactions: hifidelity1

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ivan Fischer is starting to pique my interest more broadly as i have now listened to a number of his Mahler's and liked them, particularly his No. 2.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing