I would like to Introduce Myself, to WBF Members!

F.Cook

Feb 14, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Hello, I am a recent newcomer to WBF!

I'm also nearing 50-years young, and as far back as I can remember almost anything at all, my first memories are of enjoying, listening to LP’s with my family; the Eagles, Richie Rich, Elton John, Crystal Gayle and I’ll stop there :eek:
!

All these years later and I am still listening to music with my family, one of my own making; and our home is supported by income, I earn contributing to the development of improvements in audio technologies and their respective implementations.

For the last 25-years, perhaps a little more, I have been involved directly in the development, sales, and installation of audio products. My career began when I was approximately 20 (1989), when I became an amateur tube amplifier manufacturer. My catalog consisted of three models: Tri-10,Tri-15, and Tri-25, my target market was local professionals, whom loved audio, and desired uniqueness in design and limited serial numbers: not one ever exceed 99.

By 1993, home theater was becoming a household phrase and by 1995, so-called high-end two-channel audio was on the decline, and I needed a new gig! Fast forward to 2015 and I’m still in the audio game; and I’ve had several new gigs between then and now; many of which, I'm sure I will share with the passage of time!

I recently met Amir in the AVS Forums, and developed an instant comradery, as we shared our passion and experiences toward audio truths. As a result, I became aware of WBF and after a short exploration of this forum, I decided to rescind my membership at AVS and move over here.

Best regards, eh!

Frank Cook

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Welcome Frank :) I love tubes. As if my avatar doesn't make that all too obvious :)

I'd love to see some of your creations. Again welcome :D

F.Cook

Feb 14, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Thank you JackD201:

I no longer use tube amplification within my systems, I have become a fan of using higher power, solid-state, active systems. Some might say I have committed a mortal sin, many more will state that I have gone to the dark side! Truth, I love both sides, but have developed a preference for one over the other.

I will see if I can dig up some photos. Polaroid's if I remember correctly.:eek:

Cheers!:)

F.Cook

Feb 14, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Thank you! And I hope I get at least half points for once being a 100% Tube Guy too:)!

I am off in highly explorative corners these days. Progress and education must move upwards and onwards; however, I have been playing with switching amplification for the past 3-years, and I am not optimistic that the level of accuracy that I'm desiring will ever be available, from these types of amplifiers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
LOL. I love tubes but I use high powered solid state as well. :D

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Welcome aboard the good ship WBF!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Welcome Frank! Always a pleasure to make acquaintance with another Canuck!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My formal welcome to you also Frank.

Say, were you born in Canada or just work there? If the former, I hope you are prepared for some rough times here as I am firmly believe we should make Canada our next state and do away with the silly and painful border crossings where I live. :D

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Welcome Frank...I am a SS guy as well. See you at p-n junction! :cool:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Say, were you born in Canada or just work there? If the former, I hope you are prepared for some rough times here as I am firmly believe we should make Canada our next state and do away with the silly and painful border crossings where I live. :D

We'll have none of your wishful thinking please. Thank you very much!:p

F.Cook

Feb 14, 2015
Ontario, Canada

Thank you kindly good sir!

I was born in Canada; however, I work for a US Corporation, desiring to expand their empire, as it were, up here in Canada.

I'm with you on doing away with painful bordering crossings, but retaining our sovereignty trumps such pains, at least in my book. I love the USA, and frankly, think of it as home. The boarder hassles are unfortunately necessary to insulate us from our joint enemies.

Freedom at all costs!

The boarder crossings are but a faint prick, which is a low cost, one that I will continue to gladly pay (I say that at this moment, but I have made use of a few select words, while slowed in transit :rolleyes:).

Thanks again, for welcoming me aboard; you and Steve are doing good things in here :)!

F.Cook

Feb 14, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Welcome, Frank.

I also used to be 100% tube (including even a DIY tube power source for my turntable!!) but I've since moved to high-powered Class D amps albeit with linear power supplies.

Thank you sir!

For me, I am finding many benefits in having big power, rather than adequate power if you will.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing