Why does Dave Wilson want to own Sabrinas?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
A very cool video...showing how a professional marketing company can really help your image and your marketing strategy. In the video, Dave says the tweeter is "related" to the same one in the XLF...and it is clearly a soft dome. However, does anyone know IF it is also a silk dome?

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Perhaps much more people will want to have a Sabrina soon. :) The Absolute Sound just published an introspective and hyperbolic review by Neil Gadger of the Sabrina. His conclusion:

The Sabrina provided some of the finest listening sessions I’ve
ever had, and to top it off, it’s incredibly well priced. If nearly
sixteen grand ever represented a buy, this is it. As I size up the
competition, the Sabrina is unsurpassed in the medium-to-smaller
listening space. I consider this sweetheart (pound for pound) the
best Wilson Audio loudspeaker available today

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Perhaps much more people will want to have a Sabrina soon. :) The Absolute Sound just published an introspective and hyperbolic review by Neil Gadger of the Sabrina. His conclusion:

The Sabrina provided some of the finest listening sessions I’ve
ever had, and to top it off, it’s incredibly well priced. If nearly
sixteen grand ever represented a buy, this is it. As I size up the
competition, the Sabrina is unsurpassed in the medium-to-smaller
listening space. I consider this sweetheart (pound for pound) the
best Wilson Audio loudspeaker available today

Damn!! Guess I should have gone for them instead.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I am sure I am in the minority but I always liked his smaller less expensive speakers than his larger ones.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
great marketing and i am sure its a great speaker for certain rooms / budgets , but i if you want to be enveloped in sound you got to go for the big Wilsons imo , from the maxx series and upwards :D

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
whether one likes it or not, wilson is one of the companies that sets the direction of the industry. they could have introduced a 100k or a 500k speaker but went with a 15k speaker and said it is one of their best yet. i read it as a move that hopefully ends an era of senseless pricing. and that's the way it should be given the state of big hi-fi markets like russia, china, the middle east and the whole world in general. the industry pretends that 200k is the entry point for true-high-end and you cannot really get anything before 60k.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
whether one likes it or not, wilson is one of the companies that sets the direction of the industry. they could have introduced a 100k or a 500k speaker

Aren't they introducing the WAMM again? Isn't that going to be $->Infinity?

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Let's face it-with the giant leaps of improvement in audio today, all the 5 and 6 figure equipment will be bettered by 4 figure equipment in a few years, and we are all the better for it! Trickle down economics at its finest.
whether one likes it or not, wilson is one of the companies that sets the direction of the industry. they could have introduced a 100k or a 500k speaker but went with a 15k speaker and said it is one of their best yet. i read it as a move that hopefully ends an era of senseless pricing. and that's the way it should be given the state of big hi-fi markets like russia, china, the middle east and the whole world in general. the industry pretends that 200k is the entry point for true-high-end and you cannot really get anything before 60k.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
A clever manufacturer produces products at every pricepoint .
To reproduce a faithfull soundpicture of most kinds of music you need large high bandwith LS , non resonant large bandwith systems are gonna cost you there is no going around it , so i would not at all be afraid that a small speaker like the Sabrina would out class the topmodels , just open the preamp throttle in an appropriate room , the Sabrinas will soon run out of steam i am pretty sure of that , it might be " enough" in small rooms

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
A clever manufacturer produces products at every pricepoint .

Not necessarily. It's risky to sell in the most aggressive market where it's hard as hell to offer something actually good, and people are extremely scrutinious of products. I'm referring to the $800-2500 respective area for speakers and such. I've become pretty firm that I believe DIY is the best suited nature for those in this area. But there remains those willing to entertaining it, literally breaking their backs. It's almost like people don't even know how good they have it that say Jim Salk sells his SongTowners for what he does. But many of those companies come and go.

Now back to the topic, that video makes me want a pair of the speakers. For a long time I've considered Wilson's to be a little over-hyped. But you know what? I'd be happy to pay a few extra bucks just knowing that they'll be around tomorrow.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing