What Rockport speakers are these

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looks like a Merak variant.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree...looks like a Merak Sheritan. I have auditioned these...remarkably good speakers. Here is one from the 2004 Stereophile review:

904rockport.jpg

Last edited:

KenKelso

Feb 24, 2013
The top is definitely the Merak monitors.
But that is not the Sheritan sub.
The Sheritan sub the woofer is on the side as your picture shows.
I'm thinking this was a Custom made sub Andy made for someone to go with the Merak monitors where he put the woofer in the front.
Also the woofer on the Sheritan sub is a 12 inch Eton Woofer.
Where the woofer on these speakers is a 10 inch woofer.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Perhaps. I don't recall a front firing sub for the Merak in the regular line up although it may have been available at some point.

KenKelso

Feb 24, 2013
I'v never seen this Rockport front firing sub.
I looked on Google Images and Bing Images and this guy is the only person i'v seen with these Rockport speakers.

KenKelso

Feb 24, 2013
I just spoke to the guy who owns these speakers.
The speakers are the first version of the Rockport Merak Sheritan speakers.
LL21, the Rockport speakers you posted where the woofer is on the side of the Sheritan sub.
That's the 2nd version of the Rockport Merak Sheritan

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I just spoke to the guy who owns these speakers.
The speakers are the first version of the Rockport Merak Sheritan speakers.
LL21, the Rockport speakers you posted where the woofer is on the side of the Sheritan sub.
That's the 2nd version of the Rockport Merak Sheritan

You learn something every day! Thanks for following up on that...well done! It seems that Andy Payor's thinking on speaker design had at that time started to evolve to side firing subs...and today we see the Altair and Arrakis, both side-firing 15" subwoofers.

KenKelso

Feb 24, 2013
LL21, but look at the Rockport Avior speakers and the Rockport Cygnus speakers.
The woofers are on the front.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
LL21, but look at the Rockport Avior speakers and the Rockport Cygnus speakers.
The woofers are on the front.

True. I think i was referring to his two highest models which require a 15" woofer, at which point i believe Andy's design ethos is to make it a side firing woofer so as to all the front baffle to remain narrow for imaging/disappearing and other purposes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing