Lampizator Big 7

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Never heard the metal base, but Lukasz says its much better than the ceramic. At 3x the price, it should be!

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Yup, 100wpc and he is verrry proud of it, as can be seen by his quote...over the moon, actually!

It seems like the return of the differential summator circuit, for those Lampi Dac veterans from circa 2010.

Jazzhead, where are you located, if you dont mind me asking? If you dont want to answer publicly, PM me the response.

Wisnon ... Mumbai , India . Someways away from you . If ever thru these parts look me up . Cheers

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Winson ... Mumbai , India . Someways away from you . If ever thru these parts look me up . Cheers

Dude I am from Mumbai, but living in London. Let's meet up when I am there later this year.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Dude I am from Mumbai, but living in London. Let's meet up when I am there later this year.

Namaste bhai ! Look Forward !!! Do get in touch , will be great to catch up on all things audio and other Garam Masala ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A good solution is to start SE, get the tube rolling fun out of your system, and if you decide you prefer the 101ds and have the amps, Lampi or whichever, that need a balanced dac, check with Lukasz if you can do a swap for some cost.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Cant recall, but he is also hunting speakers. He is a pal of Adam too. I can give him your contact details...or better yet have him register here and contact you guys directly.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Cant recall, but he is also hunting speakers. He is a pal of Adam too. I can give him your contact details...or better yet have him register here and contact you guys directly.

Yes, give him my email as well

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Based on this review, it sounds like the Big 7 without pcm dac would be most cost effective and instead using computer to up sample everything to dsd.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Based on this review, it sounds like the Big 7 without pcm dac would be most cost effective and instead using computer to up sample everything to dsd.

That's what Elberoth and Audiocrack are doing. However I wouldn't go with the review based on the fact that his PCM wasn't burned in, and he did not use 101Ds.

Yes, DSD sounds better, and upsampling works as well, but all you will save (not sure but from memory it's 750 quid?) By adding PCM you retain the flexibility of playing native PCM, and doing some streaming when you are not doing serious listening. If you are not doing serious listening you might as well stream of Tidal, or use native from JPlayer (better user interface) for PCM

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So I stand corrected. 750 Eur, not GBP. I wouldn't give up PCM for that, for anyone buying a Big 7 and a quality transport, that is not much as a percentage

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
So I stand corrected. 750 Eur, not GBP. I wouldn't give up PCM for that, for anyone buying a Big 7 and a quality transport, that is not much as a percentage

I'd agree. The PCM circuitry on the Big 7 is certainly worth having.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Are there any performance advantages of just having the one engine? I.e. No switch, shared power supply, noise etc?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The 2 modules are relatively independent and the PSU is way over specified. To my ears B7 PCM is outstanding.

Not sure how much improvement such a minimalist setup will bring, but I would not give up the PCM engine for that.

BTW, Audiocrack's GG has both DSD and PCM.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Are there any performance advantages of just having the one engine? I.e. No switch, shared power supply, noise etc?

Yes , having both PCM and DSD boards nesscitates having an extra cap in the signal path , which seamlessly allows switching between PCM and DSD . This cap can be done away with for that touch of added purity , if you are willing to turn down the gain / mute the signal while switching between formats . Or else there emanates a boom , the technical reason of which escapes me .

Narcissus

Apr 21, 2015
Bombay
Yes , having both PCM and DSD boards nesscitates having an extra cap in the signal path , which seamlessly allows switching between PCM and DSD . This cap can be done away with for that touch of added purity , if you are willing to turn down the gain / mute the signal while switching between formats . Or else there emanates a boom , the technical reason of which escapes me .

Hey Jazzhead,

Did you get my PM?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Sorry for basic question. I wondered whether there is software that enables one to convert PCM to dsd not on the fly as jriver/hqplayer but permanently as a new file with the dsd sample rate you specify. Why? Well would thus take the pressure of my pic from doing this on the fly? Also, I could play off USB stick or USB drive to my oppo.

Thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing