Lampizator Big 7

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Just got my Lampizator Big 7. This is the latest model, generation 5, with pure DSD (256) engine. No ESS DAC to play native PCM inside. DSD only and USB input only.

To play DSD files, you have to upsample them to DSD on the fly using Jriver, HQ Player etc.

This is my second Lampizator - I have been using the Lampizator DSD only level 5 for the past 2 months. I bought my first Lampi to try the whole DSD upsampling concept (I have very few native DSD files).

It looks much different to the images I have seen on the Internet. Some months ago ?ukasz decided to go all PCB, which improved both reliability AND sonics (better grounding thanks to multi layer PCB). The new Golden Gate DAC also uses PCBs.

My DAC is equipped with premium WE replica 101D tubes (standard on the Golden Gate DAC, option on the Big 7).

Here are some images I have just taken today. Enjoy !

And the new Apple TV remote (you can program in any remote you like; I have chosen an Apple TV remote since I do not have Apple TV and the remote itself is super cool):

You can also choose one of the 10 different color themes for display / ON button. I went with blue / blue.

I'm gonna use it next to my Trinity DAC, depending on the mood. Lampi has more of a Koetsu sound, and Trinity is more like Lyra. I will be able to say more in a couple of weeks, after the burn in process is completed.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Great pics ! Thanks for sharing . Did you contemplate the Golden Gate DAC ? Look forward to a more in depth comparison to your Trinity DAC. Enjoy !

Last edited:

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Just got my Lampizator Big 7. This is the latest model, generation 5, with pure DSD (256) engine. No ESS DAC to play native PCM inside. DSD only and USB input only.

To play DSD files, you have to upsample them to DSD on the fly using Jriver, HQ Player etc.

This is my second Lampizator - I have been using the Lampizator DSD only level 5 for the past 2 months. I bought my first Lampi to try the whole DSD upsampling concept (I have very few native DSD files).

Or you could play the DSD files at their native resolution (DSD 64, 128, 256) without upsampling on the Big 7.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Great pics ! Thanks for sharing . Did you contemplate the Golden Gate DAC ? Look forward to a more in depth comparison to your Trinity DAC. Enjoy !

One step at a time :)

Or you could play the DSD files at their native resolution (DSD 64, 128, 256) without upsampling on the Big 7.

Correct.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
RI both use the Koetsu coral stone platinum diamond and several Lyra cartridges, including the Lyra Olympos. The latter is the most 'romantic' sounding Lyra and one heck of a (beautiful sounding) cartridge. I still love my Trinity combo: when you combine the dac with the Trinity pc&drive, set it up carefully on a good wooden rack resting on Halcyonics active devices and connect it through the Tripoint Thor se grounding cables to the Tripoint emperor, the Trinity combo can shine beautifully, also in the midrange. Although I listened to the GG dac in my Genesis set up (together with Wisnon) and I liked it, in particular with dsd 128 files from eg opus (the computer Lukasz brought along was not able to play dsd 256 recordings so cannot comment yet if they sound (way) beter than dsd 64 and dsd 128), I need to do more listening with a better computer(connection) in order to find out whether the midrange of the GG dac may shine more than that of the Trinity. Anyway, I conclude that my Trinity combo sound like a Lyra Olympos: very detailed and very transparant but at the same time beautiful sounding.

The reason I contacted Lukasz a couple of months ago was the following: my gut feeling tells me that pcm files should be played with a (very good) pcm dac while dsd recording should be used in combination with a (very good) dsd dac. So I wanted to be able to find out if my many Channel Classic dsd recordings - as Jared Sachs claims (I talked to him quite a few times about this topic) - sound indeed clearly better with a dsd dac than the fantastic Trinity combo is doing with the Channel Classics 24/192 files that I bought also from him. Only time will tell as I need to do more listening with a better computer.

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Thanks for your valuable input. I will make some comparos to my Trinity DAC after the burn in process is completed. I guess the output caps will need at least 500 hours. Luckily I do not have the silver Duelunds like the Golden Gate - those take even longer to settle.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
RI both use the Koetsu coral stone platinum diamond and several Lyra cartridges, including the Lyra Olympos. The latter is the most 'romantic' sounding Lyra and one heck of a (beautiful sounding) cartridge. I still love my Trinity combo: when you combine the dac with the Trinity pc&drive, set it up carefully on a good wooden rack resting on Halcyonics active devices and connect it through the Tripoint Thor se grounding cables to the Tripoint emperor, the Trinity combo can shine beautifully, also in the midrange. Although I listened to the GG dac in my Genesis set up (together with Wisnon) and I liked it, in particular with dsd 128 files from eg opus (the computer Lukasz brought along was not able to play dsd 256 recordings so cannot comment yet if they sound (way) beter than dsd 64 and dsd 128), I need to do more listening with a better computer(connection) in order to find out whether the midrange of the GG dac may shine more than that of the Trinity. Anyway, I conclude that my Trinity combo sound like a Lyra Olympos: very detailed and very transparant but at the same time beautiful sounding.

The reason I contacted Lukasz a couple of months ago was the following: my gut feeling tells me that pcm files should be played with a (very good) pcm dac while dsd recording should be used in combination with a (very good) dsd dac. So I wanted to be able to find out if my many Channel Classic dsd recordings - as Jared Sachs claims (I talked to him quite a few times about this topic) - sound indeed clearly better with a dsd dac than the fantastic Trinity combo is doing with the Channel Classics 24/192 files that I bought also from him. Only time will tell as I need to do more listening with a better computer.

TRUE and you need to allow more break-in time, as all was too new. Many tubes like to be on for 48 hours to be at their very best. Your caps also need some break in and the biggest thing will be a proper CompAudio transport. We did see positive effects from isolation and TriPoint grounding already.

I am very excited for you as your system once fully fleshed out will be a dream. How many will be able to say they have 2 world class reference level setups with different flavors to choose from. Kudos!

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
TRUE and you need to allow more break-in time, as all was too new. Many tubes like to be on for 48 hours to be at their very best. Your caps also need some break in and the biggest thing will be a proper CompAudio transport. We did see positive effects from isolation and TriPoint grounding already.

I am very excited for you as your system once fully fleshed out will be a dream. How many will be able to say they have 2 world class refence level setups with different flavors to choose from. Kudos!

Thanks for your kind words, Wisnon. Hope to see and meet you again soon.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Now that's a cool looking DAC. Thanks for the photos. I'm still loving my Lampi and use it almost every day. Sure would love to hear a Big 7 in my system some day!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Now that's a cool looking DAC. Thanks for the photos. I'm still loving my Lampi and use it almost every day. Sure would love to hear a Big 7 in my system some day!

I also have a Lampi DSD Level 5 gen 5, which is probably closer to your DAC, and also love it:

The price to performane ratio this DAC offers is silly good. It is also great in absolute terms, as your comparos to various megabuck DSD dacs revealed - and I can only confirm that.

One of the main design differences, which may make you want to stick to your Lampis DSD, is the fact Big 7 is not a balanced design (like the Lampi you have). It does have XLR outs, but those are not balanced (negative phase is grounded via the cap) and can be added as convinience feature on request.

I have asked for those, as I already have 2m of very expensive AudioQuest WEL silver ICs, and wanted to keep them.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
From Lukasz:

We are at the moment accepting pre-orders for the first batch of 5 builds of a 4-tube fully balanced Lite 7, Big 7 and G-G.
However this DAC will NOT be able to accept tubes other than 101D.

Lukasz Fikus
LampizatOr

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
I am now in Spain for this week. Tuesday will be a very important day for me, as I will receive my Big 7 with dsdx256, no preamp, to take with me to Brazil.
Thank you Bruce B for kind answers to my questions about what dac to buy. Thanks everyone in this forum for posting their experiences with Lampizator products.
Will pair it initially with an Aurender N100 streamer.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Want to follow

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Anybody compared the Lampi 7 to the Aqua La Scala DAC ? Both raved about ....

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Is there anyway to evaluate the dac and tube output stages separately?

How much of the Lampi "magic" is due to those tubes?

How will competitors' dacs sound with the same Lampi tube stages?

That is the thing, the B7 is not just a "tube Dac", its a DHT tube Dac (big bottle). The other tube Dacs mentioned here would be more comparable to a lower level Lampi like the L4 to L6, which use signal tubes. To make a big bottle tube dac is another engineering feat altogether. There is only one other that I know and its the Allnic, and even that uses ONLY 3A5 (small bottle) DHT, and you cant roll them. I could be wrong, but I dont know of any other dac using tubes such as 6A3, 45 triodes and 300b like the Big7 and Golden Gate. The other new thing is that the B7 can now be done in balanced configuration, BUT with only the 101d tube (certainly a restriction for us tube roll loving Lampi owners).

Last edited:

Manco

Jun 27, 2014
Thank you for sharing the photo's

Lampizator Big 7 looks like a very special DAC, I imagine that it sounds superb :)

This DAC should give you a lifetime's musical enjoyment.

It would be interesting to read any comments or opinions you have about playback of PCM music files converted to DSD

Happy Listening

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thank you for sharing the photo's

Lampizator Big 7 looks like a very special DAC, I imagine that it sounds superb :)

This DAC should give you a lifetime's musical enjoyment.

It would be interesting to read any comments or opinions you have about playback of PCM music files converted to DSD

Happy Listening

I blind tested the conversion on two people at my place. Both preferred that PCM upsampled to DSD via HQPlayer (I have DSD 128 right now).

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I blind tested the conversion on two people at my place. Both preferred that PCM upsampled to DSD via HQPlayer (I have DSD 128 right now).

Hi bonzo75,

Yes, HQPlayer is a fabulous software!
Hope that the interface can be improved/becoming more friendly.

CK

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing