Lampizator Big 7

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
My Lampizator balanced big 7 should be here today - keep checking outside to see if Mr. DHL has arrived...

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congratulations! It will change your life, for the better.

extracampine

Jul 12, 2016
Know this is an old thread, but keen to draw upon the experience of those who know the Big 7 here.

What would be the better of the following 2 DACs, and by how much:

1. Lampizator Big 7, single ended, preamp, DSD256, Duelund caps (2014 for build and 2015 for upgrade)
2. Lampizator Golden Atlantic, balanced, no preamp, DSD256 (5 months old)

Thanks

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Know this is an old thread, but keen to draw upon the experience of those who know the Big 7 here.

What would be the better of the following 2 DACs, and by how much:

1. Lampizator Big 7, single ended, preamp, DSD256, Duelund caps (2014 for build and 2015 for upgrade)
2. Lampizator Golden Atlantic, balanced, no preamp, DSD256 (5 months old)

Thanks

GA would sound better I would expect as it would be newer and R2R. But I would say get the big 7, roll some good tubes, pick your choice, then upgrade to GG. It's well worth it though on budget considerations push it for later.

extracampine

Jul 12, 2016
I'm also having some trouble with hum (which I am guessing is transformer hum) coming from my Lampizator Atlantic. Anyone have any experience with this?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I'm also having some trouble with hum (which I am guessing is transformer hum) coming from my Lampizator Atlantic. Anyone have any experience with this?

Exercise your warranty and contact dealer or Lampizator himself.

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
Sorry to post on an old and quiet thread, but I recently acquire a very nice second hand Big 7 Balanced, and I'm looking for a bit of advice on tubes.

The unit came with the stock Psvane 101D's and a set of KR45's, plus the EML 5U4G rectifier. The spec sheet on the unit gives an output of 600mV (balanced) [I think measured with the 45's in place].

Whilst I like both sets of tubes, I like them for different reasons. The 101D's seems to have a lot of air and space, and extended soundstage, but a bit thinner and etched. The 45's are a little more closed in, but seem to have more depth and texture to sounds. I'd like to try some other tubes to see if I can improve things further, and maybe get the best (or better) of both worlds.

I'm completely new to tubes, but having read various threads, including this one, it seems that one of the best rectifiers in the Tak 274B, so I've managed to secure a new one of those at a decent price (yet to arrive from Canada).

From what I've read, the highest regarded output tubes seem to Elrog 300B's (though 300B's appear to be an acquired taste), KR 242's and KR PX4's. Given that my new DAC is balanced, getting a new quad set of each of these of would incredibly expensive.

Given the above, my question is where do I start? Is there anywhere (I'm UK based) that offer loan/paid hire or tubes for testing prior to purchase?

Do I need a closely matched quad, or would two different (but pair-matched) pairs suffice?

Is the 600mV balanced output from my B7 low enough to use 242's?

If any members here are looking to sell tubes (or indeed would be willing to loan some for a fee), please let me know!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Gpoint audio will have the tubes, ask him if you can loan.

What is the rest of your system, I am in London, and a GG user. Can help.

The elrog are poor.

The 101d is thin and lacks tone, but is detailed and dynamic. Flatter.

The KR 45s are not good enough.

242 if they work in your system are the best, otherwise the special EML Lampi anniversary which are no longer made, or KR PX4.

There are new ones now like the special RK 300b from KR which I haven't tried.

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
Thanks for the tips Bonzo.

I now have a Tak 274B installed as the rectifier - that's made a world of improvement over the EML 5U4G that the B7 came with - hard to put into words what is does, but so more engaging, it adds some real magic.

So obviously with a balanced B7 I need four main tubes, but how closely matched should they be. I'm new to tubes, and I'm reading mixed things online, much saying that tube matching is only critical in power amp applications where the tubes have to be biased, and for small signal applications such as pre-amps, the matching is less critical.

Does this apply to Lampi DAC's too then given the tubes are not run anywhere near their operating limits? Is matching within 10% sufficient, and which parameters are most important to match; anode current, emission, Va/Vg tracing?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am not sure about how closely quads need to be matched. The Tak is very good but if you have the budget. The KR recti is also excellent. The EML not so much. When you save up, the GG upgrade will be substantial, and you will already have the valves.

Also, the cost difference between balanced big 7 and single ended GG is less, and single ended is fine

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
I am not sure about how closely quads need to be matched. The Tak is very good but if you have the budget. The KR recti is also excellent. The EML not so much. When you save up, the GG upgrade will be substantial, and you will already have the valves.

Also, the cost difference between balanced big 7 and single ended GG is less, and single ended is fine

I got a decent price on the Tak, £500 delivered brand new via a Canadian seller on ebay. No intention of going single ended, as the rest of my system is/will be fully balanced throughout.

Has anyone in this thread tried the new Ricardo Kron versions of the KR Audio tubes - I wonder how much better they actually are than the original versions?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Shakti has just bought a pair so we will soon know his opinion.

My point was that if you were strapped for funds, a single ended GG will be good because with Lampi it is more important to find the right match of valves... Not just in tone color or preference but some valves lead to a difference in gain and drive of the system depending on total gain and impedance match with the pre. Because of the difficulty associated with rotating quads, I don't know a single balanced owner who has been able to rotate like the single ended Lampi users to optimize the dac

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
Shakti has just bought a pair so we will soon know his opinion.

My point was that if you were strapped for funds, a single ended GG will be good because with Lampi it is more important to find the right match of valves... Not just in tone color or preference but some valves lead to a difference in gain and drive of the system depending on total gain and impedance match with the pre. Because of the difficulty associated with rotating quads, I don't know a single balanced owner who has been able to rotate like the single ended Lampi users to optimize the dac

Ah I see what you are saying. Yes, it’s a costly proposition trying tubes in quads - those new RK ones are like EUR2000 a quad set! I’ll probabaly stump up for 242’s and then see how I get on.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
if your Big 7 is with volume, you should not have a problem with the KR 242.
if not, you should try, before you buy, as many preamps do have a problem with the KR 242 output level.
A tricky bit is, that the output impedance of the series 7 DACs is changing with the output tube fitted (lite 7, Big 7, GG)
Depending on your Preamps input, you will hear a difference only because the match of impedances is different.
This match will change the choice of the best interconnect between DAC and PRE.

It could be, that a different interconnect will become your favorite, because you do tube rolling.

I had several Lampi DACs with different PreAmps, so I thought, I understand the KR 242 performance, but in my current combination of GGII and Koda Preamp the KR242 behaves completely different. The tube is still my current preferred tube on the GGII (RK KR 300b is coming, so we will see...) , but because of different arguments.

So please have fun with tube rolling, it really will bring your set up to a next level.

But I like to underline, that Ked is completely right, a single ended GG is a smarter and better decision than a balanced Big 7 in the most set ups.

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
Interesting feedback Shakti, thanks for your input. My B7 does not have a volume control, so are you suggesting that the output impedance with 242’s could be an issue. The input impedance on my preamp is 100k Ohms.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It just means you have to try and find out. Hence the cost of discovery

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I got a decent price on the Tak, £500 delivered brand new via a Canadian seller on ebay. No intention of going single ended, as the rest of my system is/will be fully balanced throughout.

Has anyone in this thread tried the new Ricardo Kron versions of the KR Audio tubes - I wonder how much better they actually are than the original versions?

Best value for money 300b is the Psvane UK design (very, very, very good). Circa $300 a pair, so $600 a quad. They are faster than the EML mesh 300b, which is the best looking tube out there, but not the best sounding. 242 is hit or miss based on Dac output and downstream electronics. They worked great on my old B7 and was not good at all on my GG before upgrade. After upgrade they improved a lot but still not perfect. a bit "hard" sounding.

Best 300B I tried is the new RK 300b. Stellar. I think I am one of those who influence Shakti to take the plunge.

Congrats on that rectifier!

Last edited:

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
Best value for money 300b is the Psvane UK design (very, very, very good). Circa $300 a pair, so $600 a quad. They are faster than the EML mesh 300b, which is the best looking tube out there, but not the best sounding. 242 is hit or miss based on Dac output and downstream electronics. They worked great on my old B7 and was not good at all on my GG before upgrade. After upgrade they improved a lot but still not perfect.

Best 300B I tried is the new RK 300b. Stellar. I think I am one of those who influence Shakti to take the plunge.

Congrats on that rectifier!

Thanks wisnon. I’m keen to try some 300B’s though I get the impression from this and other threads that they are a bit of an acquired taste (a bit of a ‘marmite’ option).

Are these the Psvane UK 300B’s you refer to:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/GD-PARTS-PSVANE-UK-300B-L-300BL-Vacuum-Tube-Replace-300B-Hifi-DIY-Matched-Pairx1-/222626416585?txnId=2063039171012

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing