How do you suspend beliefs of Ticks, Pops, and Surface Noise?

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Interesting. That means you could use the phono stage of your choice into a AD converter into your choice of playback software with room correction and declicking. Think I might try this for fun.

You don't even need the A/D converter. All you need is the ability to run a line in to the soundcard. I used old leftover components in my setup, a Dual 1019 turntable because it damps the cueing, and a PS Audio 5.0 preamp because it has separate gain for each channel. All that stuff was around from an upgrade back in the 1980's. I never throw anything away. :D

The end result is up there with Redbook, but not what we consider as truly critical audio. You need, at the very least, a classy high-end turntable for that! ;)

Here's an example made with the above mentioned equipment. The card was a pro Terratec one, but the file is standard Redbook. The LP is in so-so condition with several noticeable pops and clicks, and a lot of surface noise.

http://www.internetpro.net/~gofigure/Jerry Lee Lewis - 07 - Chantilly Lace.wav

Last edited:

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Then all I can say is that it is time to change your cartridge....:eek:

True. The example I loaded at the link in my earlier post seems to have adequate highs, even though I converted it using equipment that is inferior to our normal fare. Who knows what equipment the previous owner had? We never talk about that, yet we go crazy in the search for certain vintage records, regardless.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Within four to five plays the very high frequency information has literally been worn away, playing and archiving is a good idea for precious vinyl.
Keith.

That is patently false....even a fresh nitro cellulose master lacquer doesn't lose audible hi freq information after 10-15 plays. Please provide some credible evidence to support your position.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
That is patently false....even a fresh nitro cellulose master lacquer doesn't lose audible hi freq information after 10-15 plays. Please provide some credible evidence to support your position.

It has been theorized for years, that ultra sonic information is lost after just a few plays by the "supposed" cutting action of the diamond in the groove.
This ultra sonic information probably couldn't a) be picked up by the cartridge in the first place and b) wouldn't be audible to the human ear anyway.
This may be what Keith is referring to. BUT otherwise your statement holds true.
There are numerous examples of older LP's that have been played extensively and not damaged in anyway that is audible. Unless you may be a fruit bat that is, LOL....:D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Durability increased greatly during and after quadraphonic/quadradisc

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I've never had any interest in vinyl. However, I feel like the day will come when I need to buy a turntable just to enjoy lossless music files, even if they were DDA. It seems like CDs are slowly drying up and I wouldn't consider any MP3 or AAC a lossless file. I think lossless online streaming may prove unworkable as evidenced by all the problems Tidal is having. I doubt Tidal stays in business another year. I wouldn't be surprised if the ISPs will charge a toll (like they did to Netflix) which the little lossless streaming companies can't afford due to the small market size.

I bet vinyl will more than outlive CDs.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Given the way you throw yourself headlong into the technical aspects of audio Michael, I have no doubt that if you do get into vinyl someday that you will be getting great sound very quickly.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I was perhaps too glib, there are many factors, a conical shaped stylus is like a plough permanently destroying the high frequency content on the first few passes, contemporary elliptical or line contact concentrate the contact force into a smaller area,causing more rapid stylus wear, that can damage grooves, important to replace the stylus regularly and of course keep your records clean.
The HF I was referring to might be heard by your children not by ( speaking for myself) middle aged men.
Keith.

see #51 Keith ;)

30kHz carrier frequencies. Many of these discs have the matrix info playable and decodable 45 years later.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Also consider this

https://sites.google.com/site/zevaudio/turt/stylus-shape-information

modern styli (diamond) are not chosen just because they are hard per se but because the hardness allows the smoothest polishing of any material possible. Record wear from contact happens when the styli is worn at the contact points. These are called flats where what used to be round/rounded and polished now have an edge turning it into a lathe. The more severe the flat the sharper the leading edge. The elastic nature of vinyl will allow a polished stylus to pass without incident. Just don't go and play a track over and over in one go thereby keeping the material memory from taking its course.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just don't go and play a track over and over in one go thereby keeping the material memory from taking its course.

Which I believe takes no more than a few minutes, although I have heard as much as 10.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Within four to five plays the very high frequency information has literally been worn away, playing and archiving is a good idea for precious vinyl.
Keith.

Sorry to be so blunt but this is blatantly false although it is a popular myth.

Even a worn stylus won't grind away the highs- instead it will cause distortion and mistracking and can damage the groove. I have lacquers I cut years ago and have been played way too many times (generally a lacquer is only good for about 10 plays or so). They are not lacking highs- they just get noisy.

In short, this myth is debunked.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
^^ This just does not sound right to me at all. I used to service CD-4 quad systems when I was working my way through college. I had a CD-4 test record made by JVC. After well over 30 plays it still worked fine. It placed a 1KHz tone on each channel. The shop I worked at was the Allied Radio Shack service department when I started (1974) but was simply the Radio Shack service department when I left in the late 1970s. None of the turntables I used were any more sophisticated than a Benjamin Miracord changer! The LP resided on my bench and got no special treatment- I just pulled it out when testing a CD-4 quad system. For me to believe your statement is to think that somehow Radio Shack could make this work but other more high end companies fell flat of their respective faces. It just does not sound right at all.

My friend Earl Root had a collection of CD-4 recordings- he ran a record store. He always looked out for them because he had several customers that were always after them and he usually made good money on them. That issue never seemed to come up. So I am still thinking that this is an urban legend.

RCA used to make an analog color video disc that relied on an mechanical stylus. For color video you need a lot more than just 50KHz...

caesar

May 30, 2010
I've never had any interest in vinyl. However, I feel like the day will come when I need to buy a turntable just to enjoy lossless music files, even if they were DDA. It seems like CDs are slowly drying up and I wouldn't consider any MP3 or AAC a lossless file. I think lossless online streaming may prove unworkable as evidenced by all the problems Tidal is having. I doubt Tidal stays in business another year. I wouldn't be surprised if the ISPs will charge a toll (like they did to Netflix) which the little lossless streaming companies can't afford due to the small market size.

I bet vinyl will more than outlive CDs.

Dallas,

Are you thinking of getting into vinyl or getting a vinyl setup for the purpose of "perfectly" ripping the vinyl to high-res? If done right, by an experienced individual and with great equipment, you can also eliminate the issue of stylus microphonics (per the other thread).

I'm in this hobby for the music, and I enjoy all formats. However, I will leave it to the experienced guys to compare and contrast how the best ripped vinyl sounds to the real thing. Obviously you can reduce microphonics and surface noise, but I'm sure that even the best ripped vinyl will not be quite the same experience...

Anyone have any experience with this?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Dallas,

Are you thinking of getting into vinyl or getting a vinyl setup for the purpose of "perfectly" ripping the vinyl to high-res? If done right, by an experienced individual and with great equipment, you can also eliminate the issue of stylus microphonics (per the other thread).

I'm in this hobby for the music, and I enjoy all formats. However, I will leave it to the experienced guys to compare and contrast how the best ripped vinyl sounds to the real thing. Obviously you can reduce microphonics and surface noise, but I'm sure that even the best ripped vinyl will not be quite the same experience...

Anyone have any experience with this?

The whole reason I got back into vinyl in 2010 was after hearing hi-Rez well done needle drops of some of my favorite albums and compared them to CD. My signature tells the story...

caesar

May 30, 2010
The whole reason I got back into vinyl in 2010 was after hearing hi-Rez well done needle drops of some of my favorite albums and compared them to CD. My signature tells the story...

I think I understand! :) Fabulous system!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I can get really quiet sonics from 40+ year old records; much has to do with cleaning methods in my estimation, because the contaminants, which include cigarette (or other) smoke form a glue that isn't easy to remove and a 'once over' cleaning won't remove this stuff. Records I once regarded as damaged have been brought back to a high playing level. Of course, some records are just damaged- by bad old record players, abuse, etc. My ratio of what I own and what I buy is probably 10/1 in favor of old vinyl- not that I have anything against 're-do's but my experience is that clicks and pops are not the sine qua non of the vinyl experience.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing