I'll Get It Started Here

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
I thought I'd offer some love for speakers on this new forum besides VSA.:cool:
I received my MM-2's about 3 weeks ago. So far I have about 150 hours on them, and can't be more thrilled at how they are sounding! I understand that it takes about 1,000 hours before they are considered completely broken in. These are the most expensive single piece of gear I've ever purchased, but they are also by far the best audio purchase I've ever made... hands down!

http://mysite.verizon.net/ressy6n3/

- Bill

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
I believe the current MSRP for the MM-2's is $35K.

And yes, Mike does have their father. I first heard of Evolution Acoustics when Mike posted pictures of his MM-3's on his website.

I finally was able to hear a pair of MM-2's at CES this year. Obviously, I was impressed!

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Beautiful speakers Bill

Congratulations on the purchase.

BTW, MikeL is in Dallas as we speak and hopefully upon his return home he will become a member here and have lots of input regarding his experience

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I received my MM-2's about 3 weeks ago. So far I have about 150 hours on them, and can't be more thrilled at how they are sounding! I understand that it takes about 1,000 hours before they are considered completely broken in. These are the most expensive single piece of gear I've ever purchased, but they are also by far the best audio purchase I've ever made... hands down!

- Bill

Hey Bill,

Yes very nice speakers indeed and their designer Kevin Mallgrem served his apprenticeship directly under the master himself, Albert Von Schweikert. The MM3s have essentially the same config as the VSA VR11s and, I might add, at a much lower price. It sure would be fun to hear those two side by side. Anyhow, congrats on owning a great pair if speakers. Do you plan to add the second sub on top?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

- Bill

Hi Bill,

Been following your saga with interest :) The Evolutions would certainly be on my short list and besides their sonics, they are a real looker!

Are you now thinking of upgrading anything else or hearing things in your other components now that you have such revealing speakers?

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Yes! I met Kevin at CES.

At this time, I have no plans to add the additional subs to make them MM-3's. Although, it would be nice.

Since Scott has a pair of VSA VR-9's (who only lives a couple of miles from me), once I get some more hours on the MM-2's, I'm sure we will be doing a lot of comparing!

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Hi Bill,

Been following your saga with interest :) The Evolutions would certainly be on my short list and besides their sonics, they are a real looker!

Are you now thinking of upgrading anything else or hearing things in your other components now that you have such revealing speakers?

When I first orderd these speakers, I did have concerns about some of my front end. But so far, I'm not really getting slapped hard in the face by anything that is obvious and obtrusive (much to my relief). My old Pioneer CD/DVD player sounds quite bad on them. But the Oppo BDP-83 SE is quite surprising in how pleasant it sounds.

The main thing that is on my short list are MIT cables all around. I already have MIT speaker cables and interconnects to the mains. But I would like to weed out the few stragler, non-MIT's that I still have in the system.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Which MIT cables are you considering? Have you ever tried the Analysis Plus cables? Albert V. used to use them when he demonstrated his speakers at CES and RMAF. I have been tempted to give them a try. A friend just ordered a pair of the gold ICs at $6K...seriously. For his sake I hope they part the clouds and open the heavens.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
I currently have Shotgun MA Speaker and interconnects on my mains. I will eventually add Shotgun MA ic's between the CD Player Pre/Pro for Stereo to complete that chain.

For the multichannel analog I'm using a much more 'reasonably priced' set of MIT's, the EXp1's. Which work well for me with movies.

I have tried Analysis Plus. In fact I had Oval 9's before I made the change to MIT. For me, it wasn't even a contest.

Last edited:

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
For fun, I thought I would test posting some pics

1400 Pounds of Crates and Speakers!

Almost Ready to Give Them Their First Listen

DOH!!! Don't Forget To Remove the Tape Placed On The Tweeters To Protect Them During Shipping.

Finally! Sounding Great!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'm waiting on a pair of MM3 speakers from Jonathan. I just got a call today saying just a little longer. Can't wait!

Regards,

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm waiting on a pair of MM3 speakers from Jonathan. I just got a call today saying just a little longer. Can't wait!

Regards,

Ain't that the worst! Been waiting on a pair of cj ART amps since February. They are built and have been running in the last two weeks. I'm hoping they'll be on the chocolate truck this week!

Myles

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve, for the center I'm running a Ariel Acoustics CC-3B. And believe me, the sonic signature is way different from the MM2's!

are you using it for HT only or for MC as well

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing