What cars are you looking forward to?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Over the last few days I watched over fifty videos of luxury/exotic/very expensive cars abandoned all over...Dubai, Paris, Miami, London, etc.
You name it; Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Aston Martin, BMW, Jaguar, Acura, Lincoln Continental, Mustang, Cadillac, Rolls Royce, etc., all abandoned and gathering thick dust.
You can google it: Exotic cars abandoned.

This one is funny, because it's running, and there is a guy with a grey suit who likes to play: :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I was just eyeing some model Jag cars, and this one would suit me: http://www.jaguar.ca/en/all-models/f-type/index.html ... the convertible one.
? The last one @ the list's bottom: http://rules.config.jaguar.com/jdx/en_ca/f-type_k17/3cbjz/a-cecvbs/jdxmodel.html
{I can't afford a Bugatti, so I do realistic research.}
________

And while @ it I explored "autonomous" (self driving) cars: http://www.driverless-future.com/?page_id=384

* Bonus: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...oves-to-test-driverless-cars/article30848886/
________

I believe cancer is the number one killer in the world. ...Then road accidents. But I'm not 100% sure.

EDIT: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/
And this: http://www.bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i2139 ? quite interesting. We sure have better speakers and amps and cables and OLED TVs and AI voice assistants, but we lack knowledge on how to fix people with cardiac arrest and all that sort of jazz. Doctors they tell us to exercise, lose weight, stop smoking, eat well and drive carefully...without drinking alcohol.
And then there is smog, car emissions, polluted air we breathe, oil. It's funny in how everything is related...cars and health hazards.
Tribes from the Amazonian jungles @ least don't have problems with oil and cars and McDonalds. Theirs are with cutting down trees from the big chainsaw companies and bugs.

Road kills (bad drivers, drunk drivers, bad road's maintenance, bad manufacturing faulty cars) for sure, but not as much as heart's failures.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Quick reviews:

Polestar- nice suspension, but pretty understeer happy and not as powerful as the engine specs say. Good utility, but more practicality than canyon ride.

A7- gorgeous car, inside and out. steering a feel a bit more lax than my S5. thought the 3.0 supercharged engine was a bit light for this size car. Was tough to get in/out for me, so a no go right there.

M4- total beast (w/ comp package no less). Sport + mode felt really harsh and clearly meant for track days only. Engine note a bit of a puzzler and sounds like a sack of bricks at time. Didn't feel like the steering was funny at all like some reviews say. My friend did say the ATS-V probably drives a bit better and is more direct which surprised me.

Maserati Ghibli S- amazing exhaust note and you'd never have the radio on while driving. Interior was good, although not up to Audi par imo. Very fast and handling was in between my S5 and the M4. A bit turned off when the Manager (who owns a M4) kept talking about it being a chick magnet vs. BMW. (that's not why I buy cars, though plenty in LA do)

Unfortunately they didn't have a M2 on the floor to take a look, but I think it's probably the best deal in sports cars right now. Save 20k vs. the 4 and have similar specs in a bit smaller and tossable machine. I might very well extend my lease and wait, will see.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Polestar, is that a car model?

Yes, from Volvo:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm surprised there is no talk about the 2017 Ford GT.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
well, decided to stick it out for the M2 - you and me, Es! I'm guessing I'll get an allocation next spring (coincidentally when I turn 40). I really feel this is a 10-year car, which is rare in my book.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I just got my first look at the M2 in person. The cars proportions are very nice. Looks like a winner! A peek inside looks like they have fixed one of the current M3/M4's problems. The seats on BMW's last M3 model were superb, with a lot of firm support. The current M3/4 seats don't have nearly the support and are a little soft. Long trips aren't nearly as comfortable as previous seats. The M2 looks to have the more firm seats. Wish I could trade them out on my M4. Unfortunately for the owner of the M2 I saw, it was at the dealer due to a passenger corner ding, and while minor, it looked expensive. Involved the light, front bumper, and right corner panel. :(

well, decided to stick it out for the M2 - you and me, Es! I'm guessing I'll get an allocation next spring (coincidentally when I turn 40). I really feel this is a 10-year car, which is rare in my book.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The M2 is becoming unobtanium for anyone on the west coast. Have seen up to 40k markups with 10k standard. My dealer said they got zero Q4 allocations - and they are a large M dealer.

Perhaps time to see what comes out in Frankfurt and LA for alternatives....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Nothing left in the budget so I bought back a former car. I bought back my e46 M3 and it's going through a bit of restoration now. I've always loved the e46's looks and really missed driving a stick. It does feel slow compared to my C63 but I really love the handling. What I missed most I guess was the sound and the vibrations of that old naturally aspirated inline 6. Methinks I will keep this dude for a long time :)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
My Uncle picked up an M4 recently, very nice car...

I wanted to check out a M2, S3, Golf R and Focus RS after my WRX was totaled, but not one was actually available without additional dealer markup, or just not available at all. I did pick up a silver '16 STi, the new generation of STi are amazing cars, for those who don't mind it's single mindedness. The transmission and AWD system on the STi are awesome. Chassis is super stiff, turn-in is immediate and very sharp... it has a new 13:1 hydraulic rack that is excellent. With only a downpipe and tune I should see well over 300 hp at the wheels and 0-60 in the low 4 sec range. But it's the feel of everything that really sold me, it's very different and far better than the last gen STi, which I thought was a confused car. The new one is not, it's much closer to the original '04 STi.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I ended up getting my deposit refunded as the dealer switched from MSRP to 10k over...uh, no thanks. 10 of those M2s in LA without waiting for those willing to pay ADM (I am not).

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I ended up getting my deposit refunded as the dealer switched from MSRP to 10k over...uh, no thanks. 10 of those M2s in LA without waiting for those willing to pay ADM (I am not).
I hope that you haven't been a long time client of THAT dealer. 10k over MSRP is ridiculous for anything , especially a car. Too many great cars out there to pay anything over sticker unless you have to have the latest. A month later, you just have "a car".

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I had a black e46 convertible with red interior and stick. One of my favorite cars, and one I regret selling. Seats were probably the most comfortable of any M series, and the handling was superb. Good for you for doing a restoration! Enjoy.
Nothing left in the budget so I bought back a former car. I bought back my e46 M3 and it's going through a bit of restoration now. I've always loved the e46's looks and really missed driving a stick. It does feel slow compared to my C63 but I really love the handling. What I missed most I guess was the sound and the vibrations of that old naturally aspirated inline 6. Methinks I will keep this dude for a long time :)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
BMW should put stipulations for being a dealer means you can't ludicrously exceed the MSRP with no additional options. That said, they better start making more M2's...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing