What cars are you looking forward to?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
These are a few I'm interested in:

BMW M2 (likely to be my next car if they put DCT in it)
Mercedes GT
Cadillac ATS-V vs M4 comparo
Ford GT350

What are you guys eyeing? Surprising, nothing terribly exciting coming out of Porsche right now- just the remaining various models of the 991.

Last edited:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
We took delivery on a 2015 228i with the M sport pkg this past September. It's quite a car to say the least...nimble and fast. I can't imagine what the M2 will be like. The 228i compares favorably to the '98 M3 sedan we used to own in terms of handling and quickness. Interestingly the msrp was within a few hundred $$ of that of the '98, seventeen years later..

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
My wife and I buy cars (rather than lease them) and keep them for 80-120K miles. For years, we have had two different cars:

a 4 door, 4 seat hatchback that hauls stuff for habitat restoration and other projects, goes on long trips and is fun to drive: It is currently a VW GTi. The replacement will probably be another GTi. 20-60 K miles away.

a 2 seat convertible that is even more fun to drive: Currently a 2001 BMW M roadster. A problem getting a replacement oil seal for the BMW makes me wonder if the BMW will remain viable in the future. I might replace it in 2016 or 2017. The replacement might be a Porsche Boxster or a Mazda Miata.

Not many (affordable for us) choices for these kinds of cars.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
I currently own a 2011 G37 with only 25k miles on it, so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon. After my wife finishes law school, we will be finding her a gently used BMW 4-series coupe. She is not big on BMW, but she absolutely fell in love with the car when she saw it.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Christian- I'm a huge Porsche fan, a former owner, and the GT3 is my favorite car of all time (your former 997 version, to be honest). But I'm not seeing the value of that RS- its only +25hp and 22 lbs lighter for 50% more. It shaved all of 5 seconds around the ring. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but not diggin' the wing either. I know you have a GT3 and are on the list for the RS, but what's the main attraction for you? I guess as a pure track car, this is the best but at quite a premium.

Keith

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Christian is a track guy so I'm not surprised. To his guy's eyes I think the S is HOT. Like a model that can carry a dress, I think the S carries the wing well. Not the case with say, the way a Black Series C63 carries its wing or the E92 M3 CLS carried it's wing as well. Those looked horrid to me.

I'm not a track guy and we have nasty roads here so while I've always drooled over super cars, I've never even thought of owning one albeit I have fantasized about living in Europe and owning one there. Make it a small, fast, stealthy sedan for me where I can load up my golf clubs and not be hounded by ricers. Something I can go quickly but not insanely fast on a mountain road get my adrenalin thumping on on and off ramps and the occasional stop light. I'm looking to see what the 2016 C63 sedan will be like. I can't imagine engine noise being piped in on an M3 so they are out. I can't stand all the horrible ding dong bell notifications and alerts in an ISF so that's out too.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Something a little bit more practical so I can throw my mountainbike in without too much hassle. It should land in a few months time:

image.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I would get the 2015 Audi RS8 in a heartbeat. I'll need some luck on my next Lottery ticket purchase though!

2015-Audi-R8-1.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
One thing about the RS8 is that it looks even better in person.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian- I'm a huge Porsche fan, a former owner, and the GT3 is my favorite car of all time (your former 997 version, to be honest). But I'm not seeing the value of that RS- its only +25hp and 22 lbs lighter for 50% more. It shaved all of 5 seconds around the ring. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but not diggin' the wing either. I know you have a GT3 and are on the list for the RS, but what's the main attraction for you? I guess as a pure track car, this is the best but at quite a premium.

Keith

A lot of people are complaining the only 25hp increase. That is very conservative...It will prove to be more powerful and when the N-ring thaws out, the car will probably lap at 7:15. For me, the RS is a bespoke car. Carbon front fenders, hood and engine lid, magnesium roof (lighter than CF)...different air induction system, bigger tires and wheel (rear), special lightweight cam shaft developed for the 919 LMP1 Le mans Prototype car. Wider stance, far better down force...I now have my build in the Porsche system and expect a build date in a few weeks. The car probably wont get delivered until the fall. The $40k premium over the regular GT3 is worth it to me. This may by the Last NA Porsche as the writing is on the wall for turbo charging and smaller displacements motors because of Euro and US emissions requirments. This will be my lifer Porsche.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I currently own a 2011 G37 with only 25k miles on it, so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon. After my wife finishes law school, we will be finding her a gently used BMW 4-series coupe. She is not big on BMW, but she absolutely fell in love with the car when she saw it.

My wife drove our G37 thru a fence...she never mastered the twitchy gas pedal...apparently. So...goodbye G37 hello RX350...sigh..

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
I'm looking forward to the 2017 model year edition of the stealthiest performance sedan I know of: The Acura RLX Sports Hybrid

This is a true wolf in sheep's clothing, as it is basically the Acura NSX drivetrain in a sedan wrapper. With a sophisticated torque-vectoring all wheel drive system comprised of two independent rear electric motors plus a high-output V6 with a 7-speed DCT + another electric motor powering the fronts for a total system output close to 400Hp and a torque curve that starts at over 300ft/lbs. The 0-60 is in the sub 5 sec range.

So you get sports-car slaying performance, hybrid fuel-economy (30Mpg) and a luxurious interior and ride with Acura reliability all for a reasonable price. Plus, cops won't look at this thing twice ;)

Current owners (there was a run of 2014's) report getting pulled over by guys in sports cars they just dusted off at the red light and being quizzed about 'what the heck is *that*? :)

The obligatory Pic:

Acura-RLX_Sport_Hybrid_2014_photo_01.jpg

A cutaway pic:

acura-rlx-sport-hybr-35_600x0w.jpg

A link to an article that describes the incredibly long feature set of this vehicle: http://www.netcarshow.com/acura/2014-rlx_sport_hybrid/

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Here's our new 228i, granted not a member of the "super car" stable but not too bad either IMHO especially for an old fart like me...

228i 1.JPG 228i 2.JPG 228i 6.JPG 228i 8.JPG

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
^^^ Sweet indeed! I love the interior colour combo!:D

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
did you get the track package ES? if I don't want to spend large money, the 228 is squarely in my sights. AW/CR color combo.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing