German Physiks, Emperor speakers at the 2014 AXPONA why did they sound so bad

TitaniumTroy

Jan 11, 2011
South Bend IN
I realize this question is rather out of date, but with the 2015 AXPONA coming up. I was remembering how I was really looking forward to hearing 400K speaker (500K if you include the surrounds), plus the demo was to be given by Dr. Waldrep of AIX Records. I have few of his records and like his surround sound mixes. However I thought the speaker demo at the show sounded poor, so did other internet forum people I knew at the show.

My question is what what was the problem? Was it the placement in the room, they were set up across the long wall. Or something else, I am not aware of? I really like the sound of large MBL's at the 2013 AXPONA so I have no problems with omindirectional speakers.

Though I wish MBL let you play your own music, like they did for Johnathan Valin. They also tried to have me vacate my seat temporarly so Mr. Valin could have the king seat. However after entering the room after eveyone was seated, he declined and sat against the left wall. I would have been fine with it, if they gave me my seat back after he left. However I remember reading in the Absoulte Sound that in similar situation an ex-army colonel had a hissy fit, so I assume Mr. Valin wanted to avoid any repeat of that, I found it amusing.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I think expectation bias may have something to do with this. At the last Newport show, I went into the MBL Xtreme room ( with what, $1M worth of gear??) and had VERY high expectations....particularly given the fact that they were fronting a UHA deck...and after all the price of that room! No dice, the sound was sterile, uninviting and altogether a major let down. Thinking back, IF i didn't have such high expectations for this system, and IF ( BIG IF) I did't consider the price, I would have most likely felt the room was ok. .............................

.................Nah, it was crap regardless, LOL.:D

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I think expectation bias may have something to do with this. At the last Newport show, I went into the MBL Xtreme room ( with what, $1M worth of gear??) and had VERY high expectations....particularly given the fact that they were fronting a UHA deck...and after all the price of that room! No dice, the sound was sterile, uninviting and altogether a major let down. Thinking back, IF i didn't have such high expectations for this system, and IF ( BIG IF) I did't consider the price, I would have most likely felt the room was ok. ..............................................Nah, it was crap regardless, LOL.:D

This room was good if and I mean a big if... you had to have the exact center seat later in the evening.

Most of the industry agrees about the big German Physics room last year, there were many problems.. speakers damaged in shipping, placement issues, equipment matching issues.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And non audiophiles wonder whether we're off our heads w/only one person able to fully enjoy a One Mill system :eek:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I realize this question is rather out of date, but with the 2015 AXPONA coming up. I was remembering how I was really looking forward to hearing 400K speaker (500K if you include the surrounds), plus the demo was to be given by Dr. Waldrep of AIX Records. I have few of his records and like his surround sound mixes. However I thought the speaker demo at the show sounded poor, so did other internet forum people I knew at the show.

My question is what what was the problem? Was it the placement in the room, they were set up across the long wall. Or something else, I am not aware of? I really like the sound of large MBL's at the 2013 AXPONA so I have no problems with omindirectional speakers.

Though I wish MBL let you play your own music, like they did for Johnathan Valin. They also tried to have me vacate my seat temporarly so Mr. Valin could have the king seat. However after entering the room after eveyone was seated, he declined and sat against the left wall. I would have been fine with it, if they gave me my seat back after he left. However I remember reading in the Absoulte Sound that in similar situation an ex-army colonel had a hissy fit, so I assume Mr. Valin wanted to avoid any repeat of that, I found it amusing.

I remember the guy in control of the room telling me he not happy with the sound at all himself, pointing to some circumstances beyond their control (don't remember what precisely).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing