Request Audio's The Beast

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
As a former customer who was always treated very well by them, I reluctantly say this, but it is hard not to conclude that MSB's primary goal is to extract the maximum amount of revenue from their very affluent customer base, through complex pricing, marketing and product release strategies. Delivering innovation and improving price performance of digital technology is a remote second objective.
They completely lost the plot with their $40K servers, $90K select models and $185K MCH system (which is a complete function/feature joke), and extorionary pricing.

Hi edorr,

Although I have been a MSB user for many years and admire the sonic performance of their products very much, I agree with you fully on their " ... extract the maximum amount of revenue from their very affluent customer base, through complex pricing, marketing and product release strategies ... ". :mad:

CK

kheah78

Mar 7, 2014
Singapore
Paying the price difference ? Not exactly correct . If u bought MSB Select at the retail price of USD75k , your next upgrade, Select (2) is worth USD90k . 1 year later, the next revolutionary discovery , let's call it Select 3 , eg worth USD110k , u will have to pay the latest price minus the price u pay for your Select ie USD110k-75k = USD 35k . Please take note the new DAC V ( USD40+k ) is better than Select 2014 + more ( as claimed in MSB website ) . In other words , you are paying USD 30k+ for a 1 year rental of Select .
Sorry out of topic but I thought this is an important info many MSB select purchasers over looked

That is exactly what I meant, the price difference between the version you have and the version you want to upgrade to. Upgrades in the first year are free after which you have to pay the difference if you want the upgrade. This program is perfect for people who must always have the latest since you get the full value for the DAC you're trading in. This "rental" amount will be less than trying to sell for example, a DAC V to get a DAC VI!

However the price is frankly still ridiculous. It is made a little more palatable as I bought at the introductory price and with the even more crazy price for the new Select, I have saved a bundle already. This new Select is what I really wanted as I was told about it and shown pictures of the prototype when I was at the Munich show last year. The "value" of my DAC has gone up by $40k. I would call that a good investment!:D

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
That is exactly what I meant, the price difference between the version you have and the version you want to upgrade to. Upgrades in the first year are free after which you have to pay the difference if you want the upgrade. This program is perfect for people who must always have the latest since you get the full value for the DAC you're trading in. This "rental" amount will be less than trying to sell for example, a DAC V to get a DAC VI!

However the price is frankly still ridiculous. It is made a little more palatable as I bought at the introductory price and with the even more crazy price for the new Select, I have saved a bundle already. This new Select is what I really wanted as I was told about it and shown pictures of the prototype when I was at the Munich show last year. The "value" of my DAC has gone up by $40k. I would call that a good investment!:D

Since it's an investment to u , anybody want my usd90k Select 2015 for USD50k ?

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Martin Colloms in the latest issue of Hifi Critic has just reviewed The Beast. And he likes it a LOT giving it a class leading 345 marks. It seems he had the version with the built-in MSB Platinum DAC (a DAC he was already very familiar with).

"even MP3 material sounded better on it! And with top quality DSD and HD material, The Beast in this review form offers quite exceptional resolution, with toweringly dramatic and powerful bass, amazing midrange detail and clarity, and a huge and excellently focused stereo image with top class depth and ambience recovery."

Rafael Todes also reviewed The Beast in the June issue of Hifi+ and also liked it - see here:

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/request-audio-the-beast/

Guillaume

Detlof

Member Sponsor
Nov 5, 2015
Has anyone bought or have used The Beast? I understand that it was launched in USA at this year's CES show.
I've had mine for about 5 months. During this time I have encountered many issues and bugs with the user interface/software. I have been in contact with Request Audio reporting all the issues but they have yet to fix any of these problems (except for an incompatibility with certain DSF files).

Is anyone else having problems with their The Beast? I'm getting very frustrated with their customer service and would like to get in touch with other owners/users to hear about their experience.

The Beast sounds fantastic and I'm very happy with the sound but the interface software is not up to acceptable standards. It takes the enjoyment out of playing music!

Thanks.

(SQ qualifier: I am not using the internal MSB developed DAC. Instead, The Beast is connected to a MSB Select using I2S.)

I use the "Beast" in the same way as you do, connected to an MSB dac using I2S. I have never had any trouble with its interface, but then my additional NAS has only ripped red book files. If you use files from ITunes etc., it will probably not work and is not laid out for it. However, as you had pointed out in a later thread, files sometimes need heavy editing by the user. I can live with it though, because I also find the sound exceptional.
By the way, have you already gotten the new Select DAC and if yes, how does it sound in your opinion?

Last edited:

Detlof

Member Sponsor
Nov 5, 2015
I visited the pink faun shop in Holland last week. They say they are trying to do a shootout between "the beast" and their $4,000 a/v streamer. My money is on the a/v streamer (in fact I am about to order one).

For starters, I suspect the a/v streamer packs higher value hardware components than the beast (yet sells for $35k less). Do the math. The difference between a 2TB and 4TB version of the beast is $2,000. The difference in cost between these two drives is $100. I suspect the 2000% markup of hardware cost is roughly what was applied for this machine, so this $38K box packs about $2,000 worth of hardware. All the other cost to build the beast add nothing to its quality (e.g. custom build chassis, proprietary server software) yet inflate the price tremendously for a very small series product. By contrast. the component cost of the a/v streamer is proably just over $2,000, yet sells at low margin, manufacturer direct for just over $4,000.

I have no idea what is in the pink faun, but I am still surprised about your remark concerning the innards of the "Beast", because there is a complex and expensive powersupply with its own regeneration and an entire MSB DAC complete with a choice of their different clocks..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing