USB audio interface to use w/laptop for measuring room response?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Can anyone recommend one?

I have a good mic and a laptop. I'm guessing I would use REW for software.

Thanks in advance.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Hi MadFloyd. Hope you are well and enjoying those amazing Magico speakers. Congrats again. The interface that I use for measurement is the Sound Devices USBpre-2. It serves as the mic pre-amp and interfaces to the computer via USB. Also, it can drive signal to your DAC via S/PDIF or Toslink so it pretty much does it all. I use Dirac Live imbedded in Amarra as the software measurement tool and create the room filter from the measurements. I have not used REW. DallasJustice has significant experience here and hopefully will add his thoughts. I followed his advice for my measurment set-up and it has worked out well.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I was looking at buying the UMM-6 myself the other day http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umm6.html - but before that, though, I downloaded REW and I can't tell you how much I hated its interface; I have not seen such a bad interface in ages.

I just ordered the UMIK-1. Regarding REW's interface, it's a step up from what we had to use 5 years ago. If you know something better that works on Windows, I'd love to know about it.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Wait a sec... if you just have a USB mic, how do you play test tones through your system for the mic to record the response?

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
You can play the tones through your system by connecting a second USB port or Toslink from your computer to your DAC and configuring your computer properly to use the DAC as the output device and the USB mic as the input device

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yeah, that's how I evaluated REW, using an external USB speaker

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I wouldn't use a USB mic like the UMIK. You would be better off with something that can send out the log sweep synchronous with the mic input.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Some of this depends on what you are looking for.

1. Cheap but flexible and good for REW and some 2CH DSP: TASCAM US-366
2. A little more accurate and even more flexibility: sound devices usb pre-2 is really great.
3. I want to get super serious about DSP and MCH setups and need really accurate measurements with REW and max flexibility: Lynx Hilo

There are 2 reasons why the USB mic isn't useful:
1. You can't calibrate it in REW. You have to just assume it's accurate. Maybe it is. I don't know.
2. If you ever want to demo any DSP software, it's much better to have a synchronous in/out. You can't do that with a USB mic.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I was looking at buying the UMM-6 myself the other day http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umm6.html - but before that, though, I downloaded REW and I can't tell you how much I hated its interface; I have not seen such a bad interface in ages.

If you have a mac, I think you'd be good with fuzzmeasure. It's much easier to use. It doesn't have as many powerful features as REW, but most people don't need all that much.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area

2. If you ever want to demo any DSP software, it's much better to have a synchronous in/out. You can't do that with a USB mic.

The Tascam works well with REW and with DSP software such as Acourate and Audiolens

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

2. A little more accurate and even more flexibility: sound devices usb pre-2 is really great.
3. I want to get super serious about DSP and MCH setups and need really accurate measurements with REW and max flexibility: Lynx Hilo

1. You can't calibrate it in REW. You have to just assume it's accurate. Maybe it is. I don't know.

Thanks for this.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

As Don said and my link shows, these are calibrated mics, and the guy's reputation on calibrating THESE mics is beyond reproach. A calibrated USB mic should be enough, no need to go messing around with phantom power.

Regarding REW, its power and interface... Isn't XTZ an overall-better solution? We spend so much money on an inch of thin wire - aka fuse - so cost is not an issue here...

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I'm not talking about mic calibration. I'm talking about the DAC/ADC's linearity. Normally you can compensate for a nonlinear ADC/DAC in REW by calibrating the device with a loopback.
http://www.roomeqwizard.com/wizardhelpv5/help_en-GB/html/calsoundcard.html

I also forgot to mention that the USB mics can't do absolute time measurement in REW. This could be useful for lining up speakers like subs with main speakers. The USB can't loopback for a time reference in REW. It's pretty useless, IMO. Especially since you could get a Tascam us-366 for $200 and a calibrated mic for $100.

Btw, it's very difficult to calibrate a mic down to 25hz. I used to have a cross spectrum mic. I now have an earthworks m23.

I also used to have the xtz. XTZ software is like a Cracker Jack toy compared with REW and REW is free!
As Don said and my link shows, these are calibrated mics, and the guy's reputation on calibrating THESE mics is beyond reproach. A calibrated USB mic should be enough, no need to go messing around with phantom power.

Regarding REW, its power and interface... Isn't XTZ an overall-better solution? We spend so much money on an inch of thin wire - aka fuse - so cost is not an issue here...

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing