MSB Experts - MSB Stack Feedback Please

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
I am currently auditioning a PS Direct stream and came across an MSB stack for sale. The stack consists of Platinum Dac 4 plus, UMT plus, wifi and Power B.
Where does this stack line up in the ever changing world of digital audio and in MSB line. Not sure if it has USB input, but UMT does, I think. Does it usually come with volume control?
Has anybody compared it to PS Direct Stream? Too many options for me to analyze on MSB site. Help is really needed. Thanks!

Jeff

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I am currently auditioning a PS Direct stream and came across an MSB stack for sale. The stack consists of Platinum Dac 4 plus, UMT plus, wifi and Power B.
Where does this stack line up in the ever changing world of digital audio and in MSB line. Not sure if it has USB input, but UMT does, I think. Does it usually come with volume control?
Has anybody compared it to PS Direct Stream? Too many options for me to analyze on MSB site. Help is really needed. Thanks!

Jeff

Hi!
It's a pretty good DAC right there. Don't know how it would fare against the Direct Stream, but I put it up against mid-tier dCS, and people liked the MSB better, and that's the entry-level DAC 4.
If the UMT plus is there, the DAC needs a Pro I2S input (looks like an Ethernet port). It doesn't usually come with a volume control, as that's an extra charge. Oh, If you want to use USB, it's better to use the DAC's, not the UMT's.
You must really check what ports are included, if only to determine if it's a good deal or not, as most ports/options are extra ($$$). And while you're at it, find out what kind of Power Base is that too, as there are/were several...
Let us know what you find out :)

alexandre

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
The power base says signature

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Pm me. I own the direct stream and the msb as well. A plat plus stack , umt plus and two diamond and dual transport power base,s.
We can talk of need be. The short of it is. The msb is way above the DS period.
It had the right amount of detail and note thickness to real. Where the as the new pike is detailed ots pail and thin in comparing them. Now I also owna lampi B7 this is on par and someways better than the msb and it rolls tubes .
Let me know if I can help,you

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
Al, I sent you an email,

Thanks, Jeff

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing