Sovtek 6H30 Pi and Russian 6C19p Break-in

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
After putting about 250 hours on my 4 new Sovtek 6H30 Pi tubes and 2 Russian 6C19p power supply tubes for my BAT VK 32 SE preamp, I can say that my experience does not follow the alleged break-in time. Had I made my assessment at the conventional times of about 75-100 hours, I would have come away with a completely different, and less positive, impression that I have had since about 150 hours.

First of all, I do not know what made the difference, the 6H30's, 6C19p's and/or the difference between the Reflector tubes they replaced. Nothing else in my system has changed during this time frame, although there is a new Sigma Digital breaking in on a fan for my DAC, waiting for me to be sure what I am hearing is the steady state of the tubes.

No surprise, out of the box the tubes were different than the otherwise good Reflectors (I made the change trying to diagnose an output differential, which did not go way with the change). They sounded a lot like ARC preamps with Sovtek 6H30's and I was fairly happy, but something was not right, although they were not broken in. Another difference was that my Spectral DMA 260 amp went into protection mode at much lower levels than it did with the Reflectors and seemed to have more gain.

120 hours later, after being on while out of town with no signal, they sounded more cohesive, but still not quite as inviting as I hoped. What was interesting is that the Spectral was no longer going into protection mode unless hit with excess gain demands or high level brass sections which it is does not like with the impedance curve of my ML's. However, what is really weird is that I think it actually plays a db or two louder before going into protection, although I cannot be sure.

During the next 30-40 hours some magic took place and has remained stable during the past 100 hours.
Now the sound I have is the most revealing (detailed, delicate, best bass, real sounding, widest soundstage beyond the speakers) and just overall pleasing I have heard with my system ever. I cannot hear a tube signature, although that may be because I like this signature.

I am just curious if others have found it takes at least 150 hours for tube break in?

Last edited:

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Tubes don't really break in; what happens is that there are stray gas molecules in the tube that get trapped by the getter due to the heat of the filament. That you heard a difference suggests that the tubes were NOS since new tubes will not see so much change as the getter was recently fired during the production of the tube.

If you were paying attention then you would have noticed that the tube merely needs to have the filament lit up for a few days. Alternatively it is possible to bake the tube in the oven at a moderate temperature for about a day- but this practice cannot be done if the tube has any sort of plastic base.

Power tubes can really benefit from a similar practice- lighting up the filaments but otherwise applying no voltages for a period of 4 days and 4 nights prior to use can easily double the life of the tube and reduce failures due to arcing shortly after installation. This practice is known as pre-conditioning and works best if the tubes have never been played. We have a standby function on our amplifiers that allows the user to do this with the tubes installed in the amplifier.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
It is now almost 3 weeks since I started this thread and I wanted to add a short update that flies in the face of the above reply, which I have no reasons to question or doubt, basically that tubes do not break in beyond a day or so and that the sound should not change with time.

Well, that has not been my experience. i offer no explanation, nor theory, just listening observations. Several years ago I bought my first Shunyata products (Triton, PC's and signal cables) and began an amazing journey that I have written about a lot on this forum. As anyone who has taken this Shunyata journey knows, you learn a lot about break in, and in the process learn a lot of listening skills about subtle changes, especially during the tail end of the break in, where the actual changes are small, but the impact dramatic on the realism front.

Last night I listened to my system for about 4 hours, very removed from outside distractions and just into the experience and looking for emotional comfort to help me deal with the death my girlfriends and my yellow lab Myrtle 2 days ago. As much as I was not into the system, I could not help but notice how seductive and inviting my system sounded regardless of whether the source was computer, disc or TV. What I felt last night was that my system sounded the like an extension of my sensory system, more than I have ever heard since I started building my current system about 5 years ago, after a 5 year hiatus of my car system being my reference following a costly divorce.

I know that I am hurting and feeling a huge loss and that that no doubt played some role. BUT, I am also a sufficiently seasoned and skilled listener to know that the new tubes have had a wonderful impact that has continued to shift and improve during the past 7 weeks, although minimally now, that has brought me closer to the auditory experience than to my system.

This new level of connection is so wonderful that I have been reluctant to disrupt this romance by inserting a new Shunyata Sigma Digital PC on my DAC that has been burning in on a fan for 3 weeks. Considering how much I love Shunyata PC's and distribution products, this tells me that the tube change has been one of the best changes I have made in years, and certainly one of the cheapest.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Tubes don't really break in; what happens is that there are stray gas molecules in the tube that get trapped by the getter due to the heat of the filament. That you heard a difference suggests that the tubes were NOS since new tubes will not see so much change as the getter was recently fired during the production of the tube.

If you were paying attention then you would have noticed that the tube merely needs to have the filament lit up for a few days. Alternatively it is possible to bake the tube in the oven at a moderate temperature for about a day- but this practice cannot be done if the tube has any sort of plastic base.

Power tubes can really benefit from a similar practice- lighting up the filaments but otherwise applying no voltages for a period of 4 days and 4 nights prior to use can easily double the life of the tube and reduce failures due to arcing shortly after installation. This practice is known as pre-conditioning and works best if the tubes have never been played. We have a standby function on our amplifiers that allows the user to do this with the tubes installed in the amplifier.

wow...that's a new one! Thanks, Atmasphere...always learning from your posts! (But that does not mean you will see me baking my tubes anytime soon! Not for novices like me! ;) )

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing