Best way to *significantly* alter sound to taste: change/add amp, preamp or DAC?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Buy or try out a lampi B7. It rolls tubes so mood is easy to please. I Own a few others it's a very satisfying dac. You can go from laid back to intense detailed and all is between. Tubes are the best way to alter sound or should I say alter our reality of it.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
i borrowed a bricasti and planned to run it without pre-amp to my mono-blocks but found something that killed the idea for me.
unless you can get away with less than 6-10dB (estimate) or so of digital attenuation, you may be losing a lot of sound quality.
when i tried the bricasti (and others, i'm not pointing at the bricasti here) i needed >20dB digital attenuation which was noticeably degrading the sound.
(test: bricasti into BHSE to stax 009--compared 20dB digital attenuation in bricasti with 2dB in bricasti and 18dB via Alps attenuator in headphone amp==>no brainer in favor of less digital attenuation)

so, i'd suggest you experiment with a pre-amp (hey, i was strongly in the no pre-amp needed camp also) and the bricasti..........or a DAC with analog volume control.
i had no intention of going the pre-amp route until i made that comparison.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Are you telling us that a set sound is not affected by a power cord change ?????

I have no idea if it is or not, I suspect not.

In any event the OP doesn't have a SET so I'm not sure how the effect of power cords on a SET are relevant to this discussion.
The effect of power cords in the OPs system is relevant however, and I was asking which power cords have a SET sound.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Some make claims , I do not hear any change from cheap to expensive. But of course I have expensive ones being used just in case.
Now I anot claiming anyone who does hewr it is wrong. They are not I just do not. But I to get offended of things I do hewr and others claim I am crazy . So to each there own. I do believe we all,should use good ones especially for our power amps something of 14 gauge or larger and dedecated power circuits . This is very audible and well worth the cost.
Al

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I have no idea if it is or not, I suspect not.

In any event the OP doesn't have a SET so I'm not sure how the effect of power cords on a SET are relevant to this discussion.
The effect of power cords in the OPs system is relevant however, and I was asking which power cords have a SET sound.

Ok just to make myself clear, a set amp is a single ended triode tube amplifier and like any other amplifier different power cords WILL alter their sound.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Ok just to make myself clear, a set amp is a single ended triode tube amplifier and like any other amplifier different power cords WILL alter their sound.

In your humble opinion

But I still don't see the relevance to this thread.
a) the OP doesn't have a SET
b) the OP specifically stated he doesn't want to look at cables (and I assume that includes power cords)

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
My humble opinion is to focus on the preamp. If you go with a tubed pre, the world is your oyster for rolling the sound and making it what you want. I don't believe an amp is the answer to change your sound if your amp is already properly paired with your speakers. Note that I'm not saying they don't make a difference, I just think it is less as apparent as a pre or DAC change.

As far as my experience with power cords and my SET amps, they are the one component I haven't heard any difference with when changing power cables. My system is likely not revealing enough at this point, but after trying a half dozen different cables, I've settled on the generic PC's supplied with the amps. I plan to revisit that area once I make a significant jump in my system again.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing